Page 71 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2161666768697071727374757681121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 4339
    i typed
    wget -q0- http://vz.aonic.net/pre/my.tether.install | bin/sh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdc5 View Post
    just enable wifi tethering and on your macbook click on the wifi simble and under devices pick aonet
    Thanks jeff, i am able to connect to aonet, but my browser still says that i am not connected to the internet,
    or rather
    wget -qO- http://vz.aonic.net/pre/my.tether.install | /bin/sh
    I think I had a 0 instead of a O, but now all I get is the
    wget bad address 'vz.aonic.net'
    I have rerun the command at least ten times

1. does palm emulator have to be running at the same time im doing this
    2. does the ipk have to be in some specific spot, or does it not even have to be downloaded
    3. does the usbnet drivers have to be installed before I can do this
    4. I "CAN" install this with quick installer, are you guys saying this absolutely wont work that way.
    5. I am doing this through Novaterm(by opening start , run, novaterm.exe, on windows xp 32 bit), is this right or am I supposed to be using something else.
    6. when I type in passwd and try and change it , it says cannot update password file /etc/passwd, if I am root why will this not let me change passwd
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I installed several apps. Today I installed the mytether app and it works great. Now when I try to install apps it does appear to install but the icons don't show up on the device. I also tried to install an app from the app store and got the message "install failed".

Anyone know what could be broken to not allow apps to install?
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre
  6.    #1406  
    Try a reboot mabmarc
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I figured it out. But the answer does not make sense. Is there a hard limit to the number of Apps you can have on your pre. I deleted 2 apps and then I was able to add another app like before. Very strange. I hope there isn't a hard limit for apps.
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre
    7. Do we have to install the optware packages before we try installing this.
    This can't be this difficult,I've been at it for over 3 hrs now.
  9.    #1409  
    No you just need to get to the root prompt (root@castle) and then type in my command. all the other stuff is not needed
    I wonder if filecoaster or quick install messed something up, any thoughts. Like theiowakid was saying, it never asked me to type in any username or password, when I hit connect on novaterm(first time I ever used it) it came up root@castle
  11.    #1411  
    Thats whats supposed to happen. When you see root@castle just type in the command from the first post
    Ok, I think where some of us are getting confused is steps 7 and 8 on the pre dev wiki says , it will ask you to login, and to login with username root and a blank password. We never had to do this, it already had us logged in. And the the next steps say you should change your username and password, but it won't let me. But when I type whoami it says root. If and when I figure this out I will write a detalied explanation how to do this for noobs, somewhere along the line those who have been using this for awhile must be skipping important steps, no matter how irrelevant they may seem.
    I think im speaking for almost every one but a way to add a level of security to the wifi. Would be awesome even if its wep not wpa it would keep at least my non computer user friends from stealing my phone internet when i dont want them to.
    I broke 2Mb/s!

Great job aonic! Thank you and keep up the good work!
    Ok. So once I see root, type in the line from first post, assuming it installs.....what is the proper way to close everything up and disconnect my phone?

2. If it hangs and does not install properly, is my phone screwed until its corrected (which means I would just type the command over and over again until it seems to work properly) or if it never does can I just close the novaterm by x-ing out and just disconnect my phone?

Im really sorry with all of this, I just dont want to brick my phone! And I agree, when I get this working, I think it would be a great idea for a noob like myself to post how WE did it so that its more understandable. Im still unclear if I'm supposed to have SDK running or not! Im going to anyway, but I have no clue if its necessary.

so if all I want is the WiFi hotspot action, type the command at root, disregard the fact that it never asked me for username/password, it runs the script, and voila the app is on my phone....somehow close out (thats still fuzzy), take my phone out of dev mode, restart and im up and running for WiFi? AND my phone is not vulnerable to others due to no password since I restarted it?

I think Im gonna laugh at how easy this really is to do once I get it working
    someone needs to do a video for PC and mac on this so we know what to do, Ive tied it like 5 times and still nothing!
    All you do at the root@castle prompt when you are done is type "exit" That should close out the terminal.
    I have typed exit and it just sits there.
    I installed app works for a minute then my internet cuts out but airport says my pre is still active...then after turning wifi tether off and exitting now my pre won't access the web, the web app when open is faded out.....any suggestions.. sorry if this was already answered read few the last few pages and didn't find anything usefull. nevermind uninstalled my tether internet works again will try reinstalling again.
    Last edited by palmprewannabe; 07/29/2009 at 04:48 PM.
    hit enter after exit