Page 69 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1959646566676869707172737479119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 4339
    Pre is in Dev mode before I use putty to ssh in.
    ssh'd in using sprints 3g network (not USB, not Wifi, and not Bluetooth)

michael@castle:~$ su
    root@castle:/var/home/michael# wget -qO- http://vz.aonic.net/pre/my.tether.insta
    ll | /bin/sh
    --> Removing old versions of My Tether
    Removing package net.aonic.my-tether from root...
    No packages removed.
    Nothing to be done
    --> Removing org.webosinternals.services
    Removing package org.webosinternals.services from root...
    --> Installing My Tether 1.5.0
    Connecting to vz.aonic.net (98.113.202.234:80)
    net.aonic.my-tether_ 100% |*******************************| 17946 --:--:-- ETA
    Begin installation of net.aonic.my-tether
    Installing net.aonic.my-tether (1.5.0) to root...
    Configuring net.aonic.my-tether
    --> Installing TetherService 0.5.0
    Connecting to vz.aonic.net (98.113.202.234:80)
    net.aonic.tether_0.5 100% |*******************************| 4202 --:--:-- ETA
    Begin installation of net.aonic.tether
    Installing net.aonic.tether (0.5.0) to root...
    Configuring net.aonic.tether

Then just hangs. I keep the screen alive the whole time, so that's not what is stopping it.

Also it says that it could not find the old package to remove, yet it is installed.

I rebooted (turned off and back on again) the phone and the new icon is there and the program works.

Having some issues however... as follows:

When I enabled Wifi, and then disabled it, the dashboard notification did not go away until I closed the app.
    I thought we were going to be able to change the ssid and enable wep security in this version. Am I missing something?
    Also did not see any options to leave the screen on. Did a bunch of stuff get left out of this version or is my install borked?

This is not a bug, just a request. Can you please ad an about page to the pre's upper left options so people can see what version they have installed?
    General Question for "Rooting Required" applications.. Will there 'eventually' be another way to have these applications onto my Pre without having to 'Root' it. Because its a real bummer to be one of many of the people to not have knowledge of rooting, and settling for these little apps when we REALLY want to have a Tethering and much more useful apps, just as much as the People who knows how to Root =(.

I mean dont get me wrong some of the apps in the homebrew section are great, But i mean, being able to Tether and being able to unlock more useful things on the Pre is just a little bit more useful to me than PreFarts app. know what i mean?

Im waiting for a REAL type of jailbreaking just like the iphone when i just had to download it from cydia and Viola! but until then.... sigh...
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I don't know if its as hard as you think. I had to play around some but it took me about an hour and half of reading and playing around to figure it out. About the same as when I first jailbroke my ipod touch. But your right having to go into linux is a bit more involved then the Cydia solution.
    Its not hard at all some people just don't want to bother with a little bit of effort but that's okay. Main reason this app requires rooting in my opinion is to encurgae people to get a little more involved. Also a good way to filter a few people out who just might use it for stupid **** like downloading gigs and gigs worth of movies games or whatever for that matter. So I like the fact that it requires rooting esspesialy the public version.
    I got this working after about 45 minutes of becoming familiar with the process of rooting. My only issue was that I couldn't get Novacom to work on my Vista 64-bit box and had to redo the whole process on my netbook. On the positive side I have no use for this on anything but my netbook so I probably should've used it for the whole process anyways .
    So when we use the Devwiki link to rooting the device it says its deprecated and has a link to Accessing Linux instead. Can we do it that way or do we still have to use putty and the rest? I have NEVER done anything like this so im freaking a bit. I have got into Novaterm and got the great root@castle:/ line but when I type in ls -al all I get is something that starts with this:

drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 june 6 16:05

I cant even copy paste it to show you. It wont let me.

it doesnt look like this however, not even close.

Assuming that worked, you are in as root. You can prove this by typing ls -al and hitting enter. You should get a directory listing.

What You Should See: ==

root@castle:/# ls
    bin dev etc lib md5sums mnt sbin tmp var
    boot dspbridge home lost+found media proc sys usr
    root@castle:/# uname -a
    Linux castle 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 #1 175.1.15 armv7l unknown
    root@castle:/# whoami
    root

port xxxx NDUID followed by what looks to be a big serial number (xxxx is an actual number I just dont know how significant that is to my machine so im blocking it unless its needed JIC)

help anyone?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    In the webosinternals wiki, there is an edit you can do to change the options or give another option for how long the phone will stay on. Search it on there, it's a VERY simple edit, literally just change the title and give it a number of seconds to stay on. I changed the 3 minutes to say "Never" and just set it to like 3 hours or something like that (remember, the file reads it in seconds though). Very simple edit, amazingly useful for both tethering and while in terminal on the phone over SSH/wifi.
    You sir are a genius. I followed your hint and did some searching and found this page that allows you to keep the pre out of sleep mode when connected over USB or Power.

Changing the "Turn off after X" time - WebOS Internals

To shut the screen into a sleep mode, I just have to use button by the ringer/vibe button. Now I am staying online! Thanks for the help!
    First of all, thank you thank you thank you. This is a great service to Pre users.

I wanted to mention something in case it was happening to anyone else. For about a week, my Chapura Sync Manager has not been working. I could not figure out why. The error message says that it is a firewall problem, and it tells me to troubleshoot the firewall settings. I did everything, reinstalled the program, messed with all kinds of settings, but nothing fixed the problem. Then, it occurred to me to change the settings on the My Tether program. I turned off the USBNet service, the Pre restarted itself, and then, boom! my Sync was working just fine.

So, if anyone else has a Sync problem, just turn off the USBNet and see if that fixes it.
    PLEASE HELP, I MUST KNOW WHERE TO DOWNLOAD "MY TETHER" WITH A G4. SOMEONE PLEASE WALK ME THROUGH IT!!!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Technically i think you should take the removal of the org.webosinternals.services out of your install because some other apps require this to work and by you removing it, it might brake the other apps
    People like me prefer not having webosinternals in there. If you want to reinstall it, I'm sure you can find it somewhere.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    This may be asking a lot, but is there any way for my Pre to still be getting internet so that it can still receive mail and go online while it's tethering?
    @aonic ...yes I have dhcp enabled, at least the programs says it's on after i hit the button and check the options. I would be willing to upgrade to the premium version if you think that will fix the problem.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    my icon disappeared.... its a white box.. what command do I use?

I tried reinstalling.. but no go. also is there a way to uninstall?? it shows under built-in apps. and I can't install it...
    Ok i installed the app using file coaster. it installed fine no problem but when I go to use it for wifi tethering all I get is "enabling wifi tethering..." and yes wifi connection is turned off like it says.
    If you're like me and want to increase the time your pre stays on before it goes into standby mode go here:

This is only neccessary if your Pre is not charging. Otherwise, you'll lose your tethered connection when it goes into standby
    Last edited by creativemeat; 07/29/2009 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by creativemeat View Post
    If you're like me and want to increase the time your pre stays on before it goes into standby mode go here:

This tutorial will show you how to change the "Turn off after X" time.

This is only neccessary if you're Pre is not charging. Otherwise, it'll goto standby and you'll lose your tethered connection.
    mine actually works while my Pre is in sleep mode. It didn't before, but after this update it now seems to work fine. Maybe its because its plugged into the charger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtemple33 View Post
    Maybe its because its plugged into the charger?
    Correct, see the last paragraph of my post.
    so i installed this and nothing works

it wont connect to my macbook usb or wifi.

what am i doing wrong?

it keeps saying i need USBnet, when I have installed it on my computer already.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebonexxx View Post
    so i installed this and nothing works

it wont connect to my macbook usb or wifi.

what am i doing wrong?

it keeps saying i need USBnet, when I have installed it on my computer already.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowmastr1x View Post
    Ok i installed the app using file coaster. it installed fine no problem but when I go to use it for wifi tethering all I get is "enabling wifi tethering..." and yes wifi connection is turned off like it says.
    You guys did not read the instructions and installed from root. If you do not have root access to your Pre, this will not work.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    So when we use the Devwiki link to rooting the device it says its deprecated and has a link to Accessing Linux instead. Can we do it that way or do we still have to use putty and the rest? I have NEVER done anything like this so im freaking a bit. I have got into Novaterm and got the great root@castle:/ line but when I type in ls -al all I get is something that starts with this:

drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 june 6 16:05

I cant even copy paste it to show you. It wont let me.

it doesnt look like this however, not even close.

Assuming that worked, you are in as root. You can prove this by typing ls -al and hitting enter. You should get a directory listing.

What You Should See: ==

root@castle:/# ls
    bin dev etc lib md5sums mnt sbin tmp var
    boot dspbridge home lost+found media proc sys usr
    root@castle:/# uname -a
    Linux castle 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 #1 175.1.15 armv7l unknown
    root@castle:/# whoami
    root

port xxxx NDUID followed by what looks to be a big serial number (xxxx is an actual number I just dont know how significant that is to my machine so im blocking it unless its needed JIC)

help anyone?
    You can not copy and paste in Novaterm, which makes it hard to use. I initially used it and just typed out the commands.

When you log in and are at root@castle - type "pwd" - this shows what directory your in. Also try - "whoami" - this will confirm that you are in as root. Try a different 'listing command" "ls" shows all directories/files in alphabetical order.