Page 59 of 217 FirstFirst ... 949545556575859606162636469109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Hmm. Are you sure nothing on your computer is blocking DHCP? maybe a firewall?
    I made some other changes while in root trying to restore some old hacks that were broke by the 1.1 update. Am going to restore the backups I made and see if that makes a difference.

Update: Restoring backups made no difference. Will now try to reintall My Tether

Update 2: Reinstalling My Tether didn't help either. One last idea to try to reinstall org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk

Update 3: Reinstalling org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk didn't work either. Out of ideas now.

Update 4: DHCP works with WiFi
    Last edited by lcars123; 07/24/2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    If you disable USBNet so all you have is WiFi tethering and then try BT tethering, it does connect. However, you will receive a message saying your account is not provisioned for data sharing. Looks like it is coming from Sprint ... but at least this way we do not have to pay any stupid fees. Turning back on USBNet allows BT tethering to work again. Still no USB tethering for the OS X yet.
    Thanks
    MatterOfFactJack
    I thought I borked it at first, the directions were a little flaky (not on precentral, on the Pre Dev Wiki). Anyway, just finished downloading a torrent through the phone (probably not a good idea.) Regardless, this is fantastic! Thanks for the work, and once the paycheck clears, expect a donation :up:

EDIT: screw a paycheck, donation sent anyway, I'll live w/o coffee this weekend.
    Last edited by CrucialTK; 07/24/2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    So, have we determined that upgrading to 1.1 leaves MyTether in place? Or, do I need to reinstall after the upgrade?

Thanks, y'all.
    Mark J. Cecil -- Senior UNIX and Storage Engineer
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    http://notrealswift.blogspot.com
  5.    #1165  
    mjcecil -- 1.1 works fine with My Tether
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    aonic... Thx. Question was actually a twofer. Did the 1.1 update remove the software, or did it stay in place?

Best,

Mark
    Mark J. Cecil -- Senior UNIX and Storage Engineer
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    http://notrealswift.blogspot.com
    Thanks for the app. This will come in handy a lot.
    with the hidden apps:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pps-1-1-a.html
    USB passthrough control app
    do you think a non-root tether app will be coming soon?
    Please help...
    I have successfully installed MyTether (webos through root and aonic.my-tether via SDK) and am trying to get it to work w/ my Ubuntu 9.04 machine. I enable USBnet and my system picks it up fine and obtains an IP address, but I cannot surf the web at all. I don't imagine I need to set proxy setting on my browser, do I? Thanks for the help
  10.    #1170  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcecil View Post
    aonic... Thx. Question was actually a twofer. Did the 1.1 update remove the software, or did it stay in place?

Best,

Mark
    Sorry. My Tether stayed in place

Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    with the hidden apps:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pps-1-1-a.html
    USB passthrough control app
    do you think a non-root tether app will be coming soon?
    Not sure, haven't played around with those apps yet

Quote Originally Posted by palmpresoftware View Post
    Please help...
    I have successfully installed MyTether (webos through root and aonic.my-tether via SDK) and am trying to get it to work w/ my Ubuntu 9.04 machine. I enable USBnet and my system picks it up fine and obtains an IP address, but I cannot surf the web at all. I don't imagine I need to set proxy setting on my browser, do I? Thanks for the help
    What IP was assigned?
    Any plans to get this to work through the same type of thing that the new Terminal app is using so that I don't need two separate services installed?
  12.    #1172  
    jhoff80, I'm working on a service so My Tether does not require webosinternals.services.
    Last edited by aonic; 07/24/2009 at 03:45 PM.
    aonic,
    the IP address is 192.168.0.12, my ethernet is still plugged in, but I set the palm pre to be the active line. Both use theh 192.168.0. address is that the conflict?

Thanks for the help
    Nevermind - I figured it out, disable ethernet to check and works like a charm - thanks for a great product
  15.    #1175  
    I see, I think it would be a good idea for me to use a different IP range. I'll investigate
    I said I would donate if it still worked after 1.1 and it certainly does for me (BT tether on OS X 10.5) so there you go.

Thanks again for this incredible app.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Right now I'm using my Pre with USBNet & MyTether. There is definitely something not right with the app, but here is exactly how I got it working. Assuming you have USBNet installed on your computer & and the pre is not connected...

1) On your computer, make sure WiFi is off.
    2) On the Pre, Open My Tether
    3) Click services and make sure USBNet is on. If it is off, turn it on & restart.
    4) Enable DHCP, click close.
    5) Make sure your view is "WiFi Tethering" -> turn it on
    6) When it is up, click "USB"
    7) Turn it off
    8) When it is down, click "WiFi"
    9) Turn it on

-- at this point if you look at the top of the log, it should let you know "wireless driver already installed."

10) Plug in the USB cable
    11) You will receive a DHCP address in the 192.168.0.x range with a gateway 192.168.0.202

..NOW you are on the internet.

I'm sure something changed on the Pre that requires a different initialization sequence from within MyTether. But with a little effort and the above workaround you should be up and running.

Now to have *only* USB or WiFi running

Another approach that seemed to work, but not as reliably so as the one above was to:

1) On your computer, make sure WiFi is off.
    2) On the Pre, Open My Tether
    3) Click services and make sure USBNet is on. If it is off, turn it on & restart.
    4) Enable DHCP, click close.
    5) Make sure your view is "WiFi Tethering" -> turn it on
    6) Plug in the Pre
    7) You should be on the net

It seems if you plug the pre in first before using MyTether, then it just doesn't like it until you disable and then re-enable WiFi on the Pre; and even then you have to unplug the Pre then plug it back in.

--- Which brings me to this link on WebOS Internals where users can set up usbnet on their own. I'm getting the feeling that if this has already been set up (like it was on mine) that MyTether isn't checking first to see if USBNet is running before trying to launch/run it again - hence the on/off cycle shown above.
    Last edited by showergel; 07/24/2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add more info; typos; clarification
    Thanks for all your hard work, aonic.

Donation sent
    2PT51593NV109323V
    I seem to be having issues with usb tethering since after the 1.1 update. when the phone first booted and i tethered it via usb, everything worked fine. i then proceeded to put back my start up graphic and reboot my phone to see if the boot images properly took and now the usb tether doesn't seem to work any longer.

I am still able to use your app to do wifi tethering as well as the old school BT tethering method but usb tethering seems to have issues.

Edit:

It seems that i have my usb tether back up and running. i had to ssh into my phone and manually do sudo usbnet enable. after i rebooted my phone and turned on usb tethering it started working.

hope this helps anyone else that has this issue.
    Last edited by victorkruger; 07/25/2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: further research
    My head is spinning right now lol...could someone reword these instructions in the "for dummies" language please? lol