Page 52 of 217 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 4339
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    lmao well thanks for the info jack ...

so i guess it doesnt matter if i tether with usb or wifi right?....

and just wondering how much money have you made off donations??
    Quote Originally Posted by xTKxhom3r View Post
    lmao well thanks for the info jack ...

so i guess it doesnt matter if i tether with usb or wifi right?....

and just wondering how much money have you made off donations??

Both wifi and usb are faster then your weakest link which is your internet speed so no it does not matter which you use for speed however most of the time your internet speed will be faster then bluetooth so bluetooth is not the fastest method of tethering. As for the donations I haven't got a penny aonic wrote the app not I. I just gave him the info about tethering and asked for him to write the app. I lack the programming skills required.
    I have no idea how much donations he has received its really not important but I wouldn't call it making money. It is more like compensation for his time, effort, cost for server hosting, support he provides, research he put in, and the skills he has developed and chose to use it for helping others with such an amazing app. Oh and we can not forget about all the sleepless nights and mad girlfriend ('I'm sorry' flowers cost money ya know).
    Last edited by jack87; 07/22/2009 at 01:05 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    oh my bad haha i thought you were the one that made it since you were answering a lot of questions these last few pages sorry about that aonic
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    as ive been reading page by page i still can't find a way to make this work w/ out rooting...so does the pre have to be rooted to have this function to work??
    I was able to install the app via prebrew tonight. I did not root the phone. When I try to enable usb tethering it says"your device must have usbnet enabled to tether over usb" also, if I enable wifi tethering it does nothing but say "enabling wifi tethering..." What have I done wrong?? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    as ive been reading page by page i still can't find a way to make this work w/ out rooting...so does the pre have to be rooted to have this function to work??
    That's funny. If you were reading page by page you would know that yes the pre has to be rooted. Haha just teasing you but mentioned on the OP that rooting is required to install webosinternals service which you need for this app to function I also have said it a number of times. Also the tittle says linux access is required which also means same as rooting because technically you aren't rooting the pre. Just gaining access to the linux os. The pre is not like the iphone where you need to gain special root access.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiler1 View Post
    I was able to install the app via prebrew tonight. I did not root the phone. When I try to enable usb tethering it says"your device must have usbnet enabled to tether over usb" also, if I enable wifi tethering it does nothing but say "enabling wifi tethering..." What have I done wrong?? Thanks in advance!
    Root is required read above
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    ohhh yea it does...thanx a lot man...my eyes could finaly rest...thanx lol...n i literally didn't read page by page jus the first 6 den the last 6 n tried everything....thanx anyways! B-)
    ok, spent some time tonight accessing linux and following the instructions, posting this from my laptop tethering to the Pre via Wi-Fi

Works like a champ, need to donate to go to 1.2.4 now.

One question : for upgrading, do we have to go through the same process and type all the command lines while accessing linux on the Pre via Putty ?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Jack, just want to thank you for your assistance.. With that said, Yes, I recv. the new Hardware prompt after config. usbnet as instructed..Yes, I was able to get a lan network btwn the pre and pc, I verified the IP... Maybe I will try and disable the other lan adapter per your suggestion...Thanks again..
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    If you follow the instructions on this thread's first page, then rooting is required.

If you make a donation to Aonic, you will be given access to the donators' forum where you can download the tether installer (which does not require rooting on your part). Basically, you install both Virtualbox and the PalmSDK (which you probably already did; necessary to install Homebrew Apps). Then you turn on Developer Mode (Konomi Code in universal search), plug in the Pre (should show up as Novacom), and run the installer. That's it - My Tether installed.

I highly recommend donating in order to access the installer. It's worth it, IMO.
    Last edited by PalmOD; 07/22/2009 at 08:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    PalmOD Don't give up to soon on rooting follow some of the links on the first pages and read them again. It's worth the effort just to learn about what this app and others are doing to the pre software. Knowledge is Power. Once you learn from this thread you"ll be able to install it and other great apps to come. But have the skill and knowleage not to just open it up and throw anything on it because IT'S THE NEXT BEST!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa334 View Post
    PalmOD Don't give up to soon on rooting follow some of the links on the first pages and read them again. It's worth the effort just to learn about what this app and others are doing to the pre software. Knowledge is Power. Once you learn from this thread you"ll be able to install it and other great apps to come. But have the skill and knowleage not to just open it up and throw anything on it because IT'S THE NEXT BEST!!!
    I noticed that there was a YouTube video going through the whole rooting process. When I have the time, I may sit down and follow along with the demonstration.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    i sent a donation for this AWESOME app

confirmation # 23103897X8373443X
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i also donated...i'm reeealy trying to get this app hopefully without rooting. how do we get access to that "donators' forum"?
  15.    #1035  
    Thank you all, and thank you Jack yet again for answering questions in my absence http://forums.precentral.net/1767670-post1022.html this was pretty accurate.

Jack helps out a lot because it was Jack who encouraged me to make this app in the first place, it has evolved a lot since the initial plans Jack and I made.

My plan to release a new version last night didn't go so well, my Pre decided to just die so I couldn't do any testing. Need to take it to Sprint today.

As you guys may know, my forums are down today due to a network upgrade happening right now as we speak.

Update: seems to be back now

Everyone that donated should get an email from me soon.

bwdrum your email bounced
    Last edited by aonic; 07/22/2009 at 09:23 AM.
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    OK, I can't get everything working using the free version...but I've read enough here to convince me that the tool is worth it. So I've upgraded to the paid version: hopefully the installer and subscriber forum will help me finish the process.

Thanks!
  17.    #1037  
    pinniped what doesn't work? also, check your email
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    This app allows you to use your Pre to connect to the internet. It allows you to tether over USB, or Bluetooth PAN, and allows you to make your Pre into an WiFi hotspot to share your EVDO connection.
    Question, does it turn your Pre in to a true WiFi hotspot as in Access Point, or is it only an Ad-Hoc? And if it is an Ad-Hoc (Excuse me as I have never done Ad-Hoc) can more than one user connect to it at the same time?
    Finally got around to donating ... thanks for all your effort on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Question, does it turn your Pre in to a true WiFi hotspot as in Access Point, or is it only an Ad-Hoc? And if it is an Ad-Hoc (Excuse me as I have never done Ad-Hoc) can more than one user connect to it at the same time?
    Yes multiple people can connect to it. I had 3 laptops connected to my pre via wifi with no problems at all.....except for speed