Page 49 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3944454647484950515253545999149 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa334 View Post
    speedtest.net works
    That is interesting. Try testing both laptop's connectivity speeds too. Do they both come out in similar speeds or different (to test the theory of Vista vs XP)? And what about your laptop's USB version? 1.1 or 2.0?
    please help! I'm computer dumb and cant get the my tether app to work on my pre. i have tried all of this for over 5 hours and i still cant get it to work. Im probally "rooting" incorrectty but im not sure.. If someone could literally take me step by step that would be greatly appreciated.
    please helpme! I'm computer dumb and cant get the my tether app to work on my pre. i have tried all of this for over 5 hours and i still cant get it to work. Im probally "rooting" incorrectty but im not sure. If someone could literally take me step by step that would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Whenever I try to connect via wifi I am unable to access the internet. I installed everything properly via root without an issue, so I think the problem comes from my laptops end.

I have a Macbook Pro running 10.5.7.

In the Network Preferences when I join PreNet where it should say "Connected" it simply says "On" and beneath it there is a note saying that "Airport has a self-assigned IP address. You may nt be able to connect to the internet."

Any idea what may cause this or directions toward a solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakadan View Post
    Whenever I try to connect via wifi I am unable to access the internet. I installed everything properly via root without an issue, so I think the problem comes from my laptops end.

I have a Macbook Pro running 10.5.7.

In the Network Preferences when I join PreNet where it should say "Connected" it simply says "On" and beneath it there is a note saying that "Airport has a self-assigned IP address. You may nt be able to connect to the internet."

Any idea what may cause this or directions toward a solution?
    You must enable dhcp under services in my tether on your pre. If that doesn't work disable dhcp and manualy assighn ip to your wifi connection to prenet network. Make sure your screen stays on or pre is charging when using wifi tethering

all others.

As for others I will get back to you sometime tomorrow as I am writing this with my pre while I pass out in bed. So no worries I'm not ignoring. And if someone else beats me to the punch at answering replies then even better
  6.    #966  
    Thank you for answering questions Jack and everyone else I was exhausted last night and went to bed earlier than my usual 1:30 AM

Yakadan make sure your firewall is not blocking DHCP. Also try rebooting your mac & pre and trying agian

P.S. we're now the most viewed AND replied to thread in the homebrew section! Even ahead of the stickies
    Last edited by aonic; 07/21/2009 at 09:39 AM.
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Thank you for all the help this forum is great.
    A couple of quick questions before I start this process.

- It seems like there are two or three different ways to get homebrew apps onto a Palm Pre. I've downloaded a few things to my PC - Virtual Box, the Palm SDK, and a "prebrew" tool which I have not yet run. Which way works the best for this tethering app? This is the main app I'm after - although once I get set up I'm sure I'll explore the other apps here. Am I missing any other PC components? (I think I'll get WiFi working first before messing with USB tethering.)

- Early posts refer to needing to manually root the Pre. Later posts seem to indicate that a new version coming out today will eliminate this need. Should I hold off on starting this process for a couple hours?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
    A couple of quick questions before I start this process.

- It seems like there are two or three different ways to get homebrew apps onto a Palm Pre. I've downloaded a few things to my PC - Virtual Box, the Palm SDK, and a "prebrew" tool which I have not yet run. Which way works the best for this tethering app? This is the main app I'm after - although once I get set up I'm sure I'll explore the other apps here. Am I missing any other PC components? (I think I'll get WiFi working first before messing with USB tethering.)

- Early posts refer to needing to manually root the Pre. Later posts seem to indicate that a new version coming out today will eliminate this need. Should I hold off on starting this process for a couple hours?

Wondering the same!
    This is awesome. I had this functionality with my old Blackberry Curve. This is an abwsolute must have in case of emergencies.

Speedtest.net was pretty good.
  11.    #971  
    I think you guys should move forward with rooting, and the new installer will take care of removing things when its out.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    You must enable dhcp under services in my tether on your pre. If that doesn't work disable dhcp and manualy assighn ip to your wifi connection to prenet network. Make sure your screen stays on or pre is charging when using wifi tethering

all others.

As for others I will get back to you sometime tomorrow as I am writing this with my pre while I pass out in bed. So no worries I'm not ignoring. And if someone else beats me to the punch at answering replies then even better
    We all appreciate the help! I was wondering about enabling DHCP while setting up usbnet for windows xp. The wiki gives you 4 "easy" steps of which I can only complete the first. Any clarification on where to "add the interface" would be great! Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdv22 View Post
    This is awesome. I had this functionality with my old Blackberry Curve. This is an abwsolute must have in case of emergencies.

Speedtest.net was pretty good.
    SPRINT IF YOUR WATCHING then pay attention to this comment. This is what 90% of palm pre owners want the feature for. EMERGENCY for when there Internet is out. We don't want to pay money for a feature that we may use over a handful of times trough the year. Give us what we want. Until then, its great that people like this can take there personal time to do it for you.
    My wifi tethering only works for about 5 minutes and then I lose connection. I've tried on 3 different laptops and it'll get an IP address and your able to browse for a bit but then it completely loses connection. I can no longer ping 192.168.1.1 nor can I disconnect and reconnect. It no longer assigns me an IP address. I have to reboot the Pre and then it'll work for another few minutes.

Also, should Prenet be visible even when tethering is off? Even when the Pre is rebooted, Prenet is still visible with wifi tethering turned off.
    hey Aonic. I was wondering in future updates if you are able to include some sort of a bandwidth meter on the app to see how much data is being transferred. It would be a great feature!
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    I think you guys should move forward with rooting, and the new installer will take care of removing things when its out.
    Is the current original post in this thread still up-to-date as to the approach to complete the install? (That is, should I ignore this PreBrew thing from the other stickied thread in this forum...)

I'm just trying to fully understand every step required from start to finish before I start diving into this...

Thanks again!
    Is there a way to get it to share the EVDO connection over a wifi connection rather than bluetooth?

Basically turning your phone into the sprint MiFi
    Sprint - Define Region
    I also want to know if there is a reasy why it is not giving the wifi connection precedence over the EVDO when available.

I was just testing and have the computer tethered via bluetooth and on the phone i have the wifi active. When I ran a speed test it showed that the traffic was still going through the EVDO even with the wifi active. Can you make it so that WiFi would have precedence when it is on and connected like all the other apps do.

So far this is some great work and you have saved me countless hours trying to figure out how to do this.
  19.    #979  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
    hey Aonic. I was wondering in future updates if you are able to include some sort of a bandwidth meter on the app to see how much data is being transferred. It would be a great feature!
    Ill try~!

Quote Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
    Is the current original post in this thread still up-to-date as to the approach to complete the install? (That is, should I ignore this PreBrew thing from the other stickied thread in this forum...)

I'm just trying to fully understand every step required from start to finish before I start diving into this...

Thanks again!
    Yes, the instructions in the first post are still my preferred up to date method. I've not been following preBrew

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    Is there a way to get it to share the EVDO connection over a wifi connection rather than bluetooth?

Sprint - Define Region
    That's what this does
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post

Sprint - Define Region
    That's exactly what the wifi tethering option does. It creates a mobile hotspot that any computer with wifi can hook up to.