Page 40 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3035363738394041424344455090140 ... LastLast
    ok, this is INCREDIBLE. Aonic, you R O C K.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    USB: LOCAL ACCESS ONLY: Software loads fine, I'm able to turn on USB Tethering, rebooted and turn on both DHCP and USBNet. Set up my Vista laptop as instructed (in device manager updated network gadget to be Microsoft Corp, etc.). Laptop connects easily - however, just for local access, no internet. See attached message.

WiFI NEED PASSCODE/Network Key: Since I couldn't get USB to work, I tried WiFi. My laptop sees the wireless network, but it thinks it's a secure connection and won't let me connect without a passcode / network key. Is that normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    AONIC

Finally got the Tether to work with BT on the laptop, issue with the BT drivers. I have all 3 working. Only issue is when i try to get the connection up before i get the Tether going i get an error from the Pre that Sprint does not support this mode. Once i turn on the Tether everything works.

Is there much difference between 1.2.1 and 1.2.3? I posted earlier asking about this but i guess i dont rate an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavisjohn View Post
    I am probably going to be safe. The only time I have used ths (Aside from tinkering a bit) was when I was onsite to fix a computer, and needed to go to a software makers support site for some info. Not only did I get the info I needed, but I impressed the client as well.
    Perfect example of how I use tethering ALL the time in the line of work. I've used it PLENTY of times to connect a laptop with networking problems to download a driver, etc. I use it a lot to test VPN connections and routing tests from an external internet source when I'm at a client. I also use it alot to give remote support to clients when I'm away from a readily available internet connection, or to attend emergencies. I doubt I'll ever reach 5Gb of data usage in a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by nttdemented View Post
    Perfect example of how I use tethering ALL the time in the line of work. I've used it PLENTY of times to connect a laptop with networking problems to download a driver, etc. I use it a lot to test VPN connections and routing tests from an external internet source when I'm at a client. I also use it alot to give remote support to clients when I'm away from a readily available internet connection, or to attend emergencies. I doubt I'll ever reach 5Gb of data usage in a month.
    I only work on 1 or 2 computers/clients a week. So I am sure to be rather safe.
    I think my aunt will use more on her Pre, just from Pandora alone.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Its definitely good to have in a jam.

Aonic, I just tried this new version and I can connect via BT as in the initial version I was using, USB works fine as well under Windows 7 but when I connect via the new WiFi mode to the AdHoc network it connects succesfully and I get an IP assigned to the laptop with the DNS and gateway se as the phone's IP but I don't get internet access, only local. Is there a routing issue within the phone I should look into?
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Hmmm It's working but I checked out SpeedTest.Net and got .35Mb/S down and .15Mb/S up. The ping was 144 ms

Last edited by PreMium; 07/17/2009 at 06:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nttdemented View Post
    Its definitely good to have in a jam.

Aonic, I just tried this new version and I can connect via BT as in the initial version I was using, USB works fine as well under Windows 7 but when I connect via the new WiFi mode to the AdHoc network it connects succesfully and I get an IP assigned to the laptop with the DNS and gateway se as the phone's IP but I don't get internet access, only local. Is there a routing issue within the phone I should look into?
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba View Post
    USB: LOCAL ACCESS ONLY: Software loads fine, I'm able to turn on USB Tethering, rebooted and turn on both DHCP and USBNet. Set up my Vista laptop as instructed (in device manager updated network gadget to be Microsoft Corp, etc.). Laptop connects easily - however, just for local access, no internet. See attached message.

WiFI NEED PASSCODE/Network Key: Since I couldn't get USB to work, I tried WiFi. My laptop sees the wireless network, but it thinks it's a secure connection and won't let me connect without a passcode / network key. Is that normal?
    When you guys are using wifi make sure your screen stays on or you have it plugged into a charger when screen turns off the wifi connection times out unless it is connected to a charger. check if the ip the computer is receiving is a 192.168.xxx.xxx ip addy. when connected both wifi and usbnet. and varoomba which version of the tether app are you using. you can try looking up the network in your list of trusted networks and removing it completely then turning wifi tether back on with your pre and refreshing your available networks on the laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Hmmm It's working but I checked out SpeedTest.Net and got .35Mb/S down and .15Mb/S up. The pink was 144 ms

seems as if though you are tethering using bluetooth? if not perhaps you are in a low coverage/network quality area. maybe something might be interfering with the connection. next time you are at a coffee shop or out and about test it out again and see how your speeds are.
    Right now I don't need this as I'm on wifi at home, work, coffeeshop, freinds homes all have wifi so I won't tether but it's nice to know this app is out there in case I'm ever off on vacation somewhere and really have some need to connect. Thank you for writing it.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I've read over half of the 40 some odd pages in this thread...its getting way too long to glean all the pertinent info's from...but I think I have what I need to know to get this installed and working...just want to clarify my understanding before I dive in.

1.) My Tether app can be installed via SDK (I did this already) w/o needing to root.

2.) For USB.net to work, we need to install the shell services.IDK thingy...but that can NOT be installed using the SDK but need to be installed via rooting the pre.

Now some questions:
    3.) If I don't wish to use USB to connect to my laptop but instead wish to use BT, do I still need to install the shell services IDK? (BTW...I run Vista Home Premium on my laptop) If we can use BT w/o installind the shell services IDK, How? I can't seem to get it to work.

4.) If there is no way to do this w/o rooting...where can we find a user friendly guide to rooting and instructs on how to install once rooted...I run Ubuntu on my home desktop, but don't delve into the terminal very often and usually on then once I have specific code I can copy/paste into it to perform whatever task I need.

Finally...Excellent work!!! If I can get this to work...I'll be making a donation as well! I would also suggest maybe starting or adding in a FAQ to the OP, hitting these and other FAQ's we n00bs ask :-)

Tx!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeywdw1254 View Post
    I am new to using the pre to tether. Would I be able to use the pre to tether to an ipod touch so that I could run slinplayer on the touch? Is the tether that strong of a connection?
    Yes, you should be able to. Just run over WiFi and the touch should pick it up (though I don't have a touch to verify this).

I finally got around to rooting my pre, kept putting it off. I woke up early today and decided that I might as well do it. Haha.

Great App Aonic. WiFi and USB work great (don't have BT on my laptop to try it).

I used my own ip address and DNS servers.
    Should I use DHCP instead?
    Not sure the pro's/cons of either.
    It worked, so why change? haha
    Donated (while tethering over BT, 1.1 Mbps down)
    Confirmation number: 1M327510N7325960M
    Symbol SPT1500 (Palm III w/laser barcode scanner) -> Treo 600 -> Treo 755p -> Pre
    First of all I would like to say thank you for the application and all the work you put into it. Once I get it to work correctly I know I will be able to put it to good use. I do have a couple of questions for you though pertaining to the code that needs to be typed in. At lines 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8, are those 6 different lines of code or only 3? If I accidently typed in the wrong code how do I go about fixing it?

Thanks again,
    Felix
    Quote Originally Posted by filxtp View Post
    First of all I would like to say thank you for the application and all the work you put into it. Once I get it to work correctly I know I will be able to put it to good use. I do have a couple of questions for you though pertaining to the code that needs to be typed in. At lines 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8, are those 6 different lines of code or only 3? If I accidently typed in the wrong code how do I go about fixing it?

Thanks again,
    Felix
    Yes, those are 6 different lines of code.
    If you typed something wrong, most likely nothing will happen.
    Just type it in again correctly.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unclegeek View Post
    Yeah Payday today.. Donation complete! Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Hmmm It's working but I checked out SpeedTest.Net and got .35Mb/S down and .15Mb/S up. The pink was 144 ms

I also get relatively low throughput in my area, but I have like 1 or 2 bars of EVDO.. also I understand that a given cell tower only has a limited bandwidth to share amongst all phones connecting through it.. and it's something like 5 Mbits/second or less. so you're data rate completely relies on how many other smartphones and mobile broadband cards are pulling data off that particular cell tower. Now I imagine different towers in different cities are provisioned with more or less bandwidth, but the concept is the same..
    I finally took the plunge last night and I almost got it to work. It only connects for a brief moment then it disconnects. If I accidently typed in the code wrong, is there a way to fix it? I had a question on the lines of code, from the original post, are lines 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 individual lines of code or are they 3?

Thanks,
    Felix
  18.    #798  
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba View Post

Also, your firewall might be blocking your computer from using the Pre's internet / DHCP

A reboot of the Pre should fix the network key issue
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
  19.    #799  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgc42169 View Post
    AONIC

Finally got the Tether to work with BT on the laptop, issue with the BT drivers. I have all 3 working. Only issue is when i try to get the connection up before i get the Tether going i get an error from the Pre that Sprint does not support this mode. Once i turn on the Tether everything works.

Is there much difference between 1.2.1 and 1.2.3? I posted earlier asking about this but i guess i dont rate an answer.
    Sorry I missed your post bgc, it wasn't intentional
    BT: You can just ignore that message, tethering will continue working.

The differences from 1.2.1 to 1.2.3 are outlined here: My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre

Gack You need to install the services using root to do any tethering

filxtp i dont understand the question, but that all chunk of lines can be pasted in all at once
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Finally able to donate for the best program ever!!!
    Confirmation number: 4JY16786H5660314V