Page 39 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940414243444989139 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Here is a screen shot of what I get:

PreNet
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    I get the same thing showing it as a device. I can connect my Macbook via the Pre to the net. using 10.5.7
    Okay so they changed the name on 10.5.xx to device instead of computer to computer no big deal. Listing the PreNet under devices because it is adhoc.

so i think the problem you are have PreMium is that your pre screen is shutting off without the pre being on a charger... screen off kills the wifi connection. try again but keep the screen on the entire time then attempt to browse the web on your mac
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Hmmm I finally got it to work. Seems like it did take a minute after I connected to it for it to access the internet... So will 1.2.3 keep the screen alive and is there a way to reduce the delay before connecting? Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Hmmm I finally got it to work. Seems like it did take a minute after I connected to it for it to access the internet... So will 1.2.3 keep the screen alive and is there a way to reduce the delay before connecting? Thanks...
    You probably wont have much of a delay usually i don't. But whatever delay is there is from the computer's end not part of tether app. v1.2.3 has an option under services to keep the screen on.

you can also mod your screen settings fallowing the steps in the wiki

pre dev wiki: Modifying Stock Applications
    It is under the screen lock app half way down the page or so

Note:
    keep in mind if you have your pre connected to your mac via usb on just charge mode it will actually keep the wifi active even with the screen off.
    Last edited by jack87; 07/16/2009 at 05:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Confirmation number: 1LL10549NR397860C
    Jack it sounded like he jumped the gun and immediately tried to browse the web as soon as he clicked on connect and just didnt allow his mac to complete the handshake with the pre..

either way PreMium enjoy the tethering! and like jack said you gotta keep the screen active otherwise the wifi radio on the pre shuts off (by design to save battery if i am guessing correctly)

other note: this is a great forum with good people like Jack and Aonic! keep it up fellas!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    You probably wont have much of a delay usually i don't. But whatever delay is there is from the computer's end not part of tether app. v1.2.3 has an option under services to keep the screen on. It is avalibale to donnors to the app.

you can also mod your screen settings fallowing the steps in the wiki

pre dev wiki: Modifying Stock Applications
    It is under the screen lock app half way down the page or so

Note:
    keep in mind if you have your pre connected to your mac via usb on just charge mode it will actually keep the wifi active even with the screen off.
    Thanks. Yesterday I started having problems following the wiki. I'll need to take another crack at it soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
    Jack it sounded like he jumped the gun and immediately tried to browse the web as soon as he clicked on connect and just didnt allow his mac to complete the handshake with the pre..

either way PreMium enjoy the tethering! and like jack said you gotta keep the screen active otherwise the wifi radio on the pre shuts off (by design to save battery if i am guessing correctly)

other note: this is a great forum with good people like Jack and Aonic! keep it up fellas!
    You are right he probably did... and when it didnt work he must of refreshed a few times but at this point the screen was off

I am more then happy to be able to help and it was very kind of Aonic to take on the task of writing the app when i asked for help about getting one up and running.

By the way I am glad reinstalling the app fixed your issue the other day. i hadn't suggested that to anyone before but you seemed to have everything in place for it to work figured might be some issue when installing.
    Last edited by jack87; 07/16/2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Yea I don't know what exactly happened why it didnt work the first time.. It might have been cause of my linux inexperience while trying to root? who knows..

I tested it today at work.. had 3 of my coworkers logged into my pre at the same time and they all surfed for about 30minutes simultaneously with no problems except bandwidth speed
    Confirmation #76X763510S708502W

The app converted me from a lurker to a poster.
    Hey! Thanks for the mention on the BT experienc on the original post!

I just fetched the thread right now to re-install the app since I changed my Pre yesterday regarding the Oreo effect. Goot to see that there has been steady progress. Can't wait to try out the WiFi features even though all I need is the BT tethering mode.
    Donated. Confirm # 22W56227FB8060348
    Anyone using this gotten a bill yet? I remember reading about someone who had essentially done this with a Treo and gotten a bill for thousands of dollars. Also, best not to exceed 5GB in a month according to Sprint terms and conditions:
    "Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB."
    Don't mean to rain on the parade, looks like a neat app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
    Anyone using this gotten a bill yet? I remember reading about someone who had essentially done this with a Treo and gotten a bill for thousands of dollars. Also, best not to exceed 5GB in a month according to Sprint terms and conditions:

I am probably going to be safe. The only time I have used ths (Aside from tinkering a bit) was when I was onsite to fix a computer, and needed to go to a software makers support site for some info. Not only did I get the info I needed, but I impressed the client as well.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post

I just got my bill. The billing period only covered a few days that I used MyTether. But I do not use MyTehter everyday. Only when I am traveling. I have used tethering in the past with Windows Mobile and never had an issue or been billed for it.
    Been using the latest version at home today as we had a storm knock out our verizon box so its a damn good thing this works because i'd go through WoW withdraws lol.
    An incredible thing has been happening on these forums since WebOS hit, and this is a fantastic example. I haven't personally tried it since I'm avoiding rooting my phone, but am excited to hear about the installable version.

Donated. 3G8036560S7818257

Let's keep the community support strong!
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
  17.    #777  
    Thanks for the donations & feedback guys!

RizP: try out the test version of installer in the donor forums
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I'm using 1.2.1. I rooted my Pre and installed everything per the excellent tutorial and it's working great with my Macbook - still working on my XP laptop. My problem is this. Whenever I'm finished tethering I can't get WiFi to work on the Pre unless I restart it. When I turn WiFi on, it finds my router and get's connected OK, but all apps timeout when trying to access the internet. I see the "wifidriver -i" comment on the MyTether, but Aonic said it was not needed (and I wouldn't know how to execute it anyway). Anyone else having this issue? I'll contrinute as I soon as I can resolve this issue. Cheers!
    Last edited by Loogie; 07/16/2009 at 10:21 PM.
  19.    #779  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    I'm using 1.2.1. I rooted my Pre and installed everything per the excellent tutorial and it's working great with my Macbook - still working on my XP laptop. My problem is this. Whenever I'm finished tethering I can get WiFi to work on the Pre unless I restart it. When I turn WiFi on, it finds my router and get's connected OK, but all apps timeout when trying to access the internet. I see the "wifidriver -i" comment on the MyTether, but Aonic said it was not needed (and I wouldn't know how to execute it anyway). Anyone else having this issue? I'll contrinute as I soon as I can resolve this issue. Cheers!

When you're finished using your Pre to tether, do you toggle the tethering OFF or just close the app?
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I toggle it off. That's when it shows all the text with the "wifidriver -i" comment in it. I have tried it with the app still in a card and also with the card discarded and it doesn't make any difference, the WiFi still doesn't work.