Page 3 of 217 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    So there still has to be some rooting done for this to work, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyedbanditt View Post
    Aonic - please let us know if you can find a way to get the shell installed via SDK. I, for one, would be appreciative if we could do so without rooting.

Thanks!
    I second that
    I thought there was no rooting required.
    No rooting required to install the tether app, but rooting required to install the shell to enable USB
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Also, is this app deletable?
    I know you are working on the SDK install for the Web OS insternals, but thanks for this. I will try it as soon as you can find a way to SDK install the internals. I would root, but even tho the risk is tiny of anythign going wrong, I would like to avoid that or any wierd questions if something happens to the phone. Thanks for your effort. You are THE MAN!
    I think i have it working now. thanks so much aonic for your work.
    I have a suggestion FWIW.... when we plug in our phone via usb and we get the options Media Sync, Just Charge, USB Drive... it would be sweet if we had a Tether option

thanks again!
    ^+2 That would be awesome.
    EDIT: Apps that need the network seem to work fine if you open them before turning tethering on. I tested Email(worked on/ off) Pandora-Works fine Web-Works fine
    Last edited by The_lane; 07/07/2009 at 04:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I got it all working perfectly! Had to use XP to install and root but other than that its running smoothly with XP, Vista and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by brotato View Post
    I got it all working perfectly! Had to use XP to install and root but other than that its running smoothly with XP, Vista and 7.

Which driver did you use for Vista?
    Many thanks to the OP! This worked wonderfully for me over BT and USB. For it to work over BT all I had to do was toggle it on (let it do its thing and reset) pair my netbook (running Win7) to the Phone and then join the computer to the BT PAN network of the Pre and I was golden. I did an initial speedtest through Speakeasy's Washington D.C. servers and got 1.8Mbits on the first run!

One thing I noticed is that all data services on the phone go dormant while the internet connection is being routed towards the tethered computer, so you won't be getting any notifications from pushed e-mails, nor will you be able to listen to Pandora while you use your phone tethered. Once you are done using the internet connection on your computer just toggle it off and your e-mail will begin pushing again.

I don't remember if this happened with my Touch Diamond as well but it doesn't bother me, I usually only Tether to attend emergency service calls where I have to login remotely to a server or router to do the service if I'm on the road.

Many thanks again, this made it much simpler than any of the other solutions out there and for me its perfect just the way it is. The only thing I'd change is the Apps name from "My Tether" to "Tethering" and change the icon for it to resemble the icons that represent WebOS's preference Apps with the gray diamond under it, making it seem like just another preference App, that would make it 100% perfect for me.
    I used this method for tethering http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...h-scripts.html but it didn't work or me. If i use this app, will i have to change the altered files back to their original state?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    Which driver did you use for Vista?
    I actually tethered with bluetooth for Vista and 7. XP I used the USB driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by nttdemented View Post
    One thing I noticed is that all data services on the phone go dormant while the internet connection is being routed towards the tethered computer, so you won't be getting any notifications from pushed e-mails, nor will you be able to listen to Pandora while you use your phone tethered. Once you are done using the internet connection on your computer just toggle it off and your e-mail will begin pushing again.
    Im listening to pandora and loading pages on my pre while typing this using thethering, read my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I used this method for tethering http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...h-scripts.html but it didn't work or me. If i use this app, will i have to change the altered files back to their original state?
    I don't know, but you might as well change them back, why have ficles with unnecessary code iin them? Specially when you doesnt need it.

EDIT: Has anyone got this working with wifi? I'm thinking it's my router since I just did a tracerout and the farthest I get is my phone sending a packet to the router, but nothing after that.
    Last edited by The_lane; 07/07/2009 at 08:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Well done. The USBNet portion on my Ubuntu laptop works great. BT tethering will not work on my Mac. I get a prompt on the device saying BT PAN is not supported by sprint.
    Could not quite get tethering working over usb in windows 7. It does work via bluetooth. I followed all the instructions, but instead of using usb i just connected to my PAN and ran from there.

Thanks for the app! So much better than SSHing in each time!
    i am tethering w/ my Eee PC which is running Linux Mint. After installing this app, i just turned on tethering, plugged it into my Eee PC and it connected automatically. thanks so much!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    you had USB Tethering = ON when this error came on? It looks like you were trying to do BT tethering, is that right?

yes that is right. I was on bluetooth and getting great speeds btw: 1.3mbps and 400kbps up

when i hit disconnect is when i go the message about "internet connection sharing not allowed by sprint"
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I'm scared to download this simply because of the mispelling of the word "tethering" in the first stage.

Worries me about the code driving the application. I don't mean to rag on aonic, he's done us all a great favor, but imagine installing a copy of windows that was spelled "Windosw"...

Just scares me, being a developer myself...
    I installed everything as what was written but internet pages don't load up. I check Network Connections and it shows that I'm connected to my phone (via USB) and a connection speed. But internet doesn't work. My wifi is off on my lapto. Wifi and sprint network are on on my phone. Any help please?