Page 217 of 217 FirstFirst ... 117167207212213214215216217
Results 4,321 to 4,339 of 4339
    Why should the post be closed? Talking about a product is still a valid discussion with or without support. As far as functionality goes, I am using it on my Sprint Pre minus on webOS 1.4.5 without any difficulty. Thirdly even if there is a free, fully supported version on homebrew is that a valid reason to shut down people from talking about a different product? That's kind of like Apple blocking an app simply because it duplicates one of their built in applications.

Ultimately why not let people talk about what they would like to talk about? Feel free to put your comments in the thread, but I don't think we should shut down a conversation because a product is not the favored one.

That said I fully agree with the idea that people should install the FreeTether application. If somebody asks me for help with My Tether I am happy to give it. If somebody asks which software to install I would say Free Tether and that a true donation should be made to the authors of FreeTether as they are genuinely giving their time to this community.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrymad View Post
    Why should the post be closed? Talking about a product is still a valid discussion with or without support. As far as functionality goes, I am using it on my Sprint Pre minus on webOS 1.4.5 without any difficulty. Thirdly even if there is a free, fully supported version on homebrew is that a valid reason to shut down people from talking about a different product? That's kind of like Apple blocking an app simply because it duplicates one of their built in applications.

Ultimately why not let people talk about what they would like to talk about? Feel free to put your comments in the thread, but I don't think we should shut down a conversation because a product is not the favored one.

That said I fully agree with the idea that people should install the FreeTether application. If somebody asks me for help with My Tether I am happy to give it. If somebody asks which software to install I would say Free Tether and that a true donation should be made to the authors of FreeTether as they are genuinely giving their time to this community.
    I bought my tether, changed computers and cant find the email sent with the passcode so I can activate it on my new computer. I email the creater, but I never heard from him, if you can help me with this, let me know and I will PM you to discuss.

Also, how do I get free teather? I searched for it in preware and couldnt find it.
    ^I believe FreeTether is still in the webOS Internals testing feeds. You will need to add the testing feeds to Preware before you can see FreeTether. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    How do you add the testing feeds to Preware in order to download freeTether?
    Last edited by matob; 01/24/2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matob View Post
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    I paid for this My Tether app back in October and this guy Raja never sent me ANYTHING. No email, no code, no nothing. Today, he sends me an email addy of Raja at yahoo.com address and I get a delivery failure. Is this guy a scam?

Here's his email from this morning:

(paste)

Hey Fellow Tetherers!

I'm sending this email to donors that have visited the forum in the recent months, which I assume was to try to get My Tether working, or to get news on my plans for WebOS 2.0. First and foremost, the update:

WebOS 1.4.5

Early in the morning today I released an update for My Tether to fix connectivity issues when using My Tether on 1.4.5. WebOS 1.4.5 is now fully supported and I've updated the forum and installer to reflect these changes. You can find out about getting this update here: ..ttp://forum.mytether.net/read.php?3,15590

If you've had issues with My Tether in the past, please give this version a shot! As always, feel free to post in the above thread with issues or bugs.

WebOS 2.0

As you may have heard, WebOS 2.0 will not support Java services and My Tether's service is coded in Java. Now that I have WebOS 1.4.5 working I'll be focusing my efforts on rewriting My Tether's service in C. I'm currently trying to get a Pre 2 with the developer coupon promotion, I expect to have more news on this front in the next 2 weeks.

The Future

Looking back through the journey of My Tether from June 2009, there have been some crazy workarounds that I've had to find and for you guys to use, with one of the craziest workarounds being a full kernel swap for WebOS 1.3 -- after remembering the R&D efforts and support efforts required for a major workaround like that I feel renewed energy and motivation to keep fighting the carriers which undoubtedly command Palm to block free tethering. As you can imagine, it's very frustrating having to discover a new way to allow tethering after every software update.

But as I said above, I have renewed energy, hopes and motivation to drive My Tether further. I look forward to expanding My Tether or other WebOS software into the new line of coming WebOS devices.

Thank you as always,
    Raja
    I wonder if there are any pro's and con's between this and freetether?

I do like the graphical usage chart in mytether but think internals updates and tests it better.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dddstudiomax View Post
    I paid for this My Tether app back in October and this guy Raja never sent me ANYTHING. No email, no code, no nothing. Today, he sends me an email addy of Raja at yahoo.com address and I get a delivery failure. Is this guy a scam?
    What do you expect of an app you have to doughnut donate for.
    I too have been trying to get refund, because I was a Sprint Pixi user, and I am now a Verizon Pre User.

My question: what is the purpose of this program if I have a the Pre Plus wifi hotspot. Does the USB tether provide faster Internet connection for the laptop or faster Internet connection for the Pre? It seems that if I am located in a 3G area, my Pre can have Internet, and if I turn on the wifi hotspot, then my laptop can have Internet. Why would I need this "tether" program.

Also cannot find freetether. Looked in Preware with all feeds turned on.
    Tethering using USB or Bluetooth is a really good idea. If you aren't carrying a high-current charger around, using the wifi hotspot or tethering via wifi will drain your battery - even if you're using the USB from your PC to charge the phone. (Typical discharge currents are 400 mA, so unless you have a 500 mA charger -- which is more than the USB will generally provide -- you will drain the battery). Using USB tethering, the discharge rate is on the order of 250 mA - which can be dealt with on a USB charge.

I went to FreeTether. I found aonic's lack of support for folks who "donated" to be contrary to my ideas of decent behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    ...Also, how do I get free teather? I searched for it in preware and couldnt find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by matob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmyth View Post
    ...Also cannot find freetether. Looked in Preware with all feeds turned on.
    For anyone else looking for info on freeTether, see the freeTether wiki for instructions on installing and usage. There is also a link to the freeTether official forum thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    ...I do like the graphical usage chart in mytether but think internals updates and tests it better.
    A graphical usage/throughput chart of some type is in the plans for a future release as mentioned here on the forum thread.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I wonder if there are any pro's and con's between this and freetether?

I do like the graphical usage chart in mytether but think internals updates and tests it better.
    We will have charts soon too. Just have to take the graph code from Govnah

Seriously, I know there haven't been any updates to FT recently. I've been working on some conference papers and the last submission is due on the Feb 17th so after I can start hacking on webOS stuff again.
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmyth View Post
    All Preware feeds are on. I used both of these methods (from the wiki). freeTether is not there.
    Wait... you say "All Preware feeds are on." ...

The Testing feeds are not in Preware by default. Did you add the testing feeds as per the instructions on the wiki?

If you have added the Testing Feeds (both of them. one for your specific device and the "all feed"), then I still don't know right now.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  14. r9s
    I setup wpa2 encryption and when I switch to on, my network is not secured, it's 'open'. Why?
    known issue where the settings are not saving when set. It will be fixed in a newer release.

read back some posts. Some people have a work around for getting the settings to stck.
    I really appreciate having freeTether. For me, works great via wifi (but kills the battery), BT is finicky (on Windows 7 side), but USB just won't work on computer side.
    The very first time I tried to connect via USB, my laptop tried to set up something, failed and stopped. Since then, when I connect via USB nothing happens at all.
    Might I get some advice on what to do to get it set up?
    Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeinhk View Post
    I really appreciate having freeTether. For me, works great via wifi (but kills the battery), BT is finicky (on Windows 7 side), but USB just won't work on computer side.
    The very first time I tried to connect via USB, my laptop tried to set up something, failed and stopped. Since then, when I connect via USB nothing happens at all.
    Might I get some advice on what to do to get it set up?
    Thx
    First, let's get you to the right place. This thread is not for freeTether.

The freeTether thread is found here and the wiki page here.

See the wiki for some help on getting the USB portion to work.

Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    First, let's get you to the right place. This thread is not for freeTether.

The freeTether thread is found here and the wiki page here.

See the wiki for some help on getting the USB portion to work.
    Sorry and thanks! I had tried to find a freeTether thread but failed...
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Getting no useful response on the My Tether "donor only" forum, does anyone here know how to get 2.1.1 installer to do more than bomb with an "unhandled exception error", or failing that, get a newer installer?

I donated and basically got NOTHING. Certainly nothing that installs!

Thanks