Page 21 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171121 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by prenoob View Post
    First of all .. EXCELLENT JOB, this thing is beautiful. I just can't get it running. All has been installed as indicated..
    Both:
    org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk
    net.aonic.my-tether_1.2.1_all.ipk
    I followed the instructions exactly (at least I believe I did). I open My Tether, and turn ON WiFi Tethering. The message "Enabling WiFI Tethering..." just stays on and I do not get any additional messages. I have tried this with DHCP On and Off as well as USBNet Off and On (in the few different combinations). Still to no avail .. nothing other than "Enabling WiFI Tethering..."

Any help please. As my username indicates .. I AM a prenoob. Thx!
    I have powercycled my phone on and off after the install.
    I have reinstalled the above, still with the same results ...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks Aonic, after a little tinkering I got it figured out. When I bought the Pre I was hoping for homebrew things because I was all about it on my 650p and 755p and my wife's centro. Quite an interesting time figuring out how to root the Pre. I am interested to see what kind of tricks the next update will come with.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Im new to this root stuff but pretty tech savvy and lit so i very sure i got the app installed correctly and have the Linux Network area connection setup... But how exactly does this work... What exactly is tethering and if im out and about with my laptop how would I use my phone to tether ( whether it be through USB or bluetooth or wifi), what exact steps would i do to use either of them... Again im pretty savvy just new to this stuff... Any help is grateful... By the way this site and the peeps on it are....Awesome
    fantastic work on the app. i have been enjoying it a lot. i was confused with some things but i figured it out. thanks a bunch.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I'm on the part for installing usbNET on windows XP.

what in the world is gumstix

and where do I find this file?
    Find the directory containing the linux.inf file. Make sure that the linux.inf file has DOS line endings
    Quote Originally Posted by seanp316 View Post
    Im new to this root stuff but pretty tech savvy and lit so i very sure i got the app installed correctly and have the Linux Network area connection setup... But how exactly does this work... What exactly is tethering and if im out and about with my laptop how would I use my phone to tether ( whether it be through USB or bluetooth or wifi), what exact steps would i do to use either of them... Again im pretty savvy just new to this stuff... Any help is grateful... By the way this site and the peeps on it are....Awesome
    Tethering is when you use your phone as a modem and connect a device through it for the internetz.

If you are on windows you would need USB drivers for usb tethering. Install the drivers and make sure DHCP is on the phone for easy network settings. If on Ubuntu and probably other Linux distros just plug and play.

Wifi would be the easiest for ya if available. Just turn it on and search for wifi networks. I have not used this app but I think the ssid of the network this app creates is called prenet just connect to that network. Turn DHCP on the phone for easy network settings.

Not sure about bluetooth pan. Thats a last resort to me. It is too slow.
    Last edited by fain; 07/11/2009 at 01:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Don't know why I didn't try wifi first...
    no need to worry about installing USB drivers anymore!
    Thanks fain
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Can you explain how you use your wifi?
    thanks
    Jared
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    If I only want to use WiFi do I still have to install the shell via root or can i just install mytether with out the shell via root?

thanks
    Jared
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

11.    #411  
    prenoob, make sure you installed webosinternals.shell through root, not SDK.

jared, you enable wifi tethering, and on your laptop/computer you'll see a new wireless network called PreNet. you can connect to this network and browse the internet.

E1Allen, good to hear! I'm currently thinking about the next steps, so we'll see

Nugget, ive now made wifi the default option
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    donation made: 56H88591JF138533A

still haven't tried to install it, don't even know if I can get it to work -- but definitely want to encourage your work on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tallisin View Post
    donation made: 56H88591JF138533A

still haven't tried to install it, don't even know if I can get it to work -- but definitely want to encourage your work on this.
    first thing you have to do is root your pre the rest is a sinch. all the instructions are in the main post with links to where you need to go.
    This is pretty great. I'll be donating soon (awaiting a paycheck).

Is anyone else having trouble using the wifi connection to watch anything on hulu.com? It's really sketchy- sometimes works, sometimes not. It shows the ads, but then never moves beyond the "Loading video..." screen. I've got it to work once in Google Chrome, and it works just fine over my cable connection, so I don't think it's a problem with FF 3.5 or IE 8 or my lappy. Feels like it's a connection issue.

Maybe I just don't have a very good connection here in my room. Anyway I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else is having a similar issue?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks for such a great program! Donation sent! My results:

WiFi

USB

Bluetooth

Signal Strength: 3 bars (RX Power = -103 DBM)

Note: I had to manually stop the Palm Novacom service before the USBNet device was detected on Windows Vista. WiFi and Bluetooth both worked regardless.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    cell128, from root, type ipkg remove net.aonic.my-tether
    thanks alot.. what happened was kind of odd though.. i ran the command in root and it deleted the app, but the icon was still in the launch page it would launch a blank card. I rebooted my pre but it was still there and now working! only that now it was listed as user apps, not built in ones so i got the option to delete it.... as long as it worked right? I'd like to tether but i screwed something up. I think usbnet does not work on xp service pack 2. I have to upgrade to 3. ill try another day.. thanx
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I changed:

iwconfig eth0 mode Ad-Hoc essid PreNet

to

iwconfig eth0 mode Ad-Hoc essid MattsAwesomePre

in

\var\usr\palm\applications\net.aonic.my-tether\resources\

and successfully changed the name of my WiFi SSID but I can't seem to get any type of encryption/password protection going.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Good to see this is possible on the Pre. I miss it from my old phone.
    Is there any chance of an option to leave PmConnectionManager running? It would be very nice for those who have used zeropoint46's method to make it leave ip forwarding alone.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    From Bluetooth on my Macbook

Now hoping for USB.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre