Page 203 of 217 FirstFirst ... 103153193198199200201202203204205206207208213 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,060 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    I get the message in terminal: "control service failed ... service removed" while installing the SDK. Then the terminal window disappears. Just trying to get the palm emulator open is unexpectedly difficult.
    Don't bother with the SDK. Just enabled Developer Mode and then use the command line feature in WebOS Quick Install.
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    This is dead now. The files have been removed and the install script is changed. All that does now is uninstall the app if it is currently installed.

Anybody manage to have snagged the ipk's before they were pulled, to share with us?

I didn't even think that would happen because if i had i would have snagged the ipk's im sure the method I posted before still works except that the url has changed so we'll need to do a little searching
    As a matter of fact as a person who has the app up and running on my phone I should, in theory, have the ability to root into my phone and retrieve the raw script for the app. I however do not know how to do this on a linux OS so if anybody who is interested in getting the app for free and knows how to do so I would love to learn and I would post up the raw code for anybody who would like to have it.
    all I am going to say is google search is your friend when you can't find something.... (i am tethering from mytether 2.1.0 that I got for free)... A lil work downloading the SDK and java and that sun whatever program.... And it works flawlessly
    Last edited by honda07si; 03/07/2010 at 09:47 AM.
    I am appalled to see precentral mods not doing anything about people taking someone's private app. totally not cool of others treating someones hard work as if they deserve it. Stuff like this will lead to the end of mytether and other development of apps from others. totally depressing.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I am appalled to see precentral mods not doing anything about people taking someone's private app. totally not cool of others treating someones hard work as if they deserve it. Stuff like this will lead to the end of mytether and other development of apps from others. totally depressing.
    Call me an old fogey if you will but, as a long time handspring visor, palm treo, pre user, I couldn't agree more. If you are not willing to pay the developer his hard work, you shouldn't use the app. I've got quite a number of free and open sourced apps, but will alway buy the paid apps if I really want them too.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    the free version is free...the paid app is for paying customers. Dont steal someones hard work. He offers a free version if you cant afford/dont want the paid version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment, I disagree that the Mods should step in.

As long as Aonic chooses to market this as "Donation" ware, then it's not really a paid app. It's a free app that has paid support via forum.

It's not up to the Mods of this forum to stop people from discussing getting a free app for free. If they were sharing usernames/passwords for the "donor" Mytether forum, then that would be a different story.

I personally feel that if you want the app, you should pay for it. However, I also feel that while obtaining the app for free may be unethical, it's not wrong or illegal based on how the DEV is offering it in the first place.

As to how hard it may be to obtain the app without that forum access, that's up to the DEV, not the mods here.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Questions regarding donor version:
    1) I read you have to first register for the forums. What is the turnaround time to get registered? I submitted the required info yesterday but haven't received the email response.

2) Once you donate, do you still have to use Dev Mode + SDK + Virtualbox to install? Can you install the donor version using Quickinstall? How easy is it to use the installer with the donor version?

Thanks!
    Questions regarding donor version:
    1) I read you have to first register for the forums. What is the turnaround time to get registered? I submitted the required info yesterday but haven't received the email response.

2) Once you donate, do you still have to use Dev Mode + SDK + Virtualbox to install? Can you install the donor version using Quickinstall? How easy is it to use the installer with the donor version?

Thanks!
    Yes, you need the SDK/Devmode. If you registered with the same email address you used to donate, access to the forum is instant.

The installer is basically just an EXE that has an install button, but it works just fine. Quite easy to install.

MyTether works great on Sprint 1.4 Pres. Just remember to uninstall FreeTether before you install MyTether (that was the only issue I had)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment, I disagree that the Mods should step in.

As long as Aonic chooses to market this as "Donation" ware, then it's not really a paid app. It's a free app that has paid support via forum.

It's not up to the Mods of this forum to stop people from discussing getting a free app for free. If they were sharing usernames/passwords for the "donor" Mytether forum, then that would be a different story.

I personally feel that if you want the app, you should pay for it. However, I also feel that while obtaining the app for free may be unethical, it's not wrong or illegal based on how the DEV is offering it in the first place.

As to how hard it may be to obtain the app without that forum access, that's up to the DEV, not the mods here.
    i agree with this completely..... if Aonic had marked his app a PAID app. i would of gladly pay for it.... but i don't feel like donating to a forum i wouldn't ever use.... and since Aonic kinda disappeared after the 1.3.5 update and didn't offer much if any help to users of the FREE version of mytether.... what happens if people start having problems with the 2.1.0 version? i don't agree with Aonic's ways of saying your Donating for the app. that he pretty much picked apart MHS and used that way for installing and blah blah blah. If Anoic didn't want his app. to be put on the net for free I'm sure he can develop something in the app. that only can be downloaded from his site. Kinda like MHS did for the 1.4 update.....
    I want to get the SDK/Palm emulator working before I donate since the SDK is required.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the SDK working?

As posted before, Virtualbox and SDK seem to install, but then I can't seem to get it to run. Latest Java is already installed. Clicking on emulator shortcut does nothing (do you even need the emulator?). I can get Windows 7 command prompt in a window but can't even get it to check for Java. This is quite a barrier to using donor myTether if SDK is a must.

Thanks.
    I want to get the SDK/Palm emulator working before I donate since the SDK is required.

As posted before, Virtualbox and SDK seem to install, but then I can't seem to get it to run. Latest Java is already installed. Clicking on emulator shortcut does nothing (do you even need the emulator?). I can get Windows 7 command prompt in a window but can't even get it to check for Java. This is quite a barrier to using donor myTether if SDK is a must.

Thanks.
    make sure you have the right SDK installed...... even though it says 64 bit for windows vista and windows 7. That one didn't work for me on vista.... i downloaded the 32 bit one and it works perfectly. or just check to see if you have a 32 bit processor or 64 bit. lol
    Has anyone ran into the problem during the command prompt, that it actually says uninstallation complete? I followed all the steps, did everything that was said to do. But ran into this little hick-up. Anyone have a solution for this one?

here's the message I got, which is pretty much the same some lots of ppl.

MYT_VER="2.1.0"
    MYS_VER="1.1.2"
    export IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps

cd /tmp/

mount -o remount rw, /
    echo "--> Removing old versions of My Tether"
    /bin/sh ${IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT}/usr/lib/ipkg/info/net.aonic.tether.prerm
    ipkg -o ${IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT} remove net.aonic.tether
    ipkg remove net.aonic.tether

ipkg -o ${IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT} remove net.aonic.my-tether
    mount -o remount ro, /

echo "--> Refreshing app list"
    /usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

echo "--> Uninstallation finished!"

I have installed it before, months ago, but didnt work then either, it killed my wifi and evdo. but I managed to fix that. uninstalled it and left it at that. Found out the new tether is out and figured why not give it another try. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or what isn't set up properly on my pre?... or something else I'm just not thinking of....
    @rcflyer40t: The .php file you're using is an uninstallation script only. Aonic changed it to prevent the piracy that was occuring earlier in the thread.
    ahhh... i see now. Is mytether still free as of now? I'm reading that it is... but haven't found a different link for the free version.

Thank you for lettin me know I wasn't really going blind lol
    Last edited by rcflyer40t; 03/08/2010 at 10:36 AM.
    The free version only works for BlueTooth or USB, though I'm not 100% sure that's even working in 1.4.

The only version working for WiFi is the 2.1.x and you need the installer that you get from the "donor" forum.

Thanks.
    You don't need emulator and the best place to get support is at the mytether forums. A lot of the advice here is out dated and too man false asumptions on how the app was developed. Adds to confusion to normal users.
    MatterOfFactJack
    what about the 2.04v? is that still up and running for webos 1.4. Honestly there should be a location where all apps and versions are placed in the forum so that others can simply go there and not have to search forever trying to figure out what the last guy named the link or searchable item, so that others can find it in a timely manner. Put them all in one spot, catagorized and marked for each version. That would definitely be best for all.

Mind you, all the apps that would be there would be the free versions... not the donors.

Anyone know which version I can use on my pre, so I can test it to my lil hearts content???? Then buy the 2.1 full version later.
    here's another one for you guys, mytether installer says this: USB: Error, please try a different USB port.

any idea why? pre's hooked up, dev mode is on... what else am I missing...