Page 202 of 217 FirstFirst ... 102152192197198199200201202203204205206207212 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    =/ people forget the risks when they want an app from a developer that is not allowed access to webos updates prior to release date...
    He even said on his forum that he recommended users to not update to 1.4 because he didn't know if the update would break his program or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    And therein lies the rub... if you are paying only for forum access, and find a way to get the app without forum access how can this be "wrong"?
    it's not wrong, but if you do manage to get it somehow and it bricks your phone, breaks some apps, or you can't get it to work, then you shouldn't be asking for help from people that did pay for the forum access and you definitely shouldn't flame this thread by stating mytether breaks your phone or is unstable. that's why there aren't a lot of solutions on this thread and no one answers people here who say, "i got the installer but every time i run it it gives me this huge error output." well, go to the donor forum. you don't have an account? tough cookies. the donation is for the forums and the install advice posted there. but what if someone reposts that stuff. i'd question their motivation and question the validity of what they are telling you. also, thanks for watching out for the developer and some ignorant stranger on ebay. whoever was selling it on ebay is just straight evil. it may not be pirating, but what he or she did is wrong.

donnydonny: i just wanted to clarify what you stated about webos internals involvement. they did not rewrite anything, they just advised aonic where to have his program install itself. they wanted him to comply with their standards so that myTether couldn't cause so many conflicts.
    Last edited by jmcloud_utk; 03/05/2010 at 07:38 AM.
    FYI, just evaluated the MyTether code and for the people that want to completly remove all traces of the program you need to follow these steps. See my post on the webos internals thread where they evaluated the program:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...45#post2284945

Basically i am recommending that aonic give us a script via exe file or a wget via terminal to wipe the last three traces of the file for the people that want a complete removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonny View Post
    MyTether 2.1.0 was a breakthrough in the stability of this app. It worked flawlessly ever since WebOS Internals got involved. The developer posted an immediate update once OS 1.4 was released and it worked exactly as he said it would. It's been running great for me ever since.
    Lol had nothing to do with WebOS Internals. And they are not involved. They did help Aonic get updated to the new standards of installation for Homebrew
    MatterOfFactJack
    Subscribe
    I just donated to myTether, got installation instructions, installed perfectly, and it's running perfectly. Ever since I've been showing off the app to my co-workers (technical and non-technical) and even people with iPhones (which is most fun). This app even inspired me to purchase a NetBook since I travel a lot and now I can provide a Wifi signal to it as long as I get cell phone reception. I am very satisfied with this application and it was worth the $10 + paypal processing fees :-P! The developer(s) who wrote this app did a great job and really seem to be on top of things and I feel confident they'll consistently get the app working as we progress through future webOS updates. I have to say this has been a good few weeks....webOS 1.4, an amazing Facebook app update, and last but not least myTether which I think is my number 1 app on my rankings list. Life is pretty good for this Palm Pre user!
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    FYI, just evaluated the MyTether code and for the people that want to completly remove all traces of the program you need to follow these steps. See my post on the webos internals thread where they evaluated the program:

[URL]

Basically i am recommending that aonic give us a script via exe file or a wget via terminal to wipe the last three traces of the file for the people that want a complete removal.
    Use WebOS Quick Instal or Preware to remove the service package as well.

-- Rod
    That sucks!!!
    This is a step-by-step guide on how to get My Tether 2.1.0 THE FREE VERSION working on the new webos 1.4. I personally follwed these steps and am using my tether to post this. I have a palm pre on the sprint network, am using windows xp (still...i really need to update). ALL of these steps are necessary inorder for this to work, again ALL STEPS!

1. You need to get the palm pre sdk this is 100% free and only requires a valid e-mail address, and can be found here.
    https://developer.palm.com/index.php...er&sdkdownload

2. Once all that is downloaded and installed you need to put the phone into developer mode, which is a simple enough matter, just start typeing and the phones default search option pops up, type in the following:
    upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
    and the developermode will pop up, turn it on and allow the phone to reset.

3. While the phone is resetting open up the command prompt and type the following in (note: this only works if you installed the sdk into this location if not you have to type in the corrected location)
    cd\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin

4. Ok now that the phone is done resetting plug it into the computer via usb, make sure the phone is in CHARGE ONLY mode or the very last step will not work. In the still open command prompt type in the following:
    novacom -t open tty://
    you should get a terminal with "root@castle" or as mine appears "root@palm" as the promt

5. Now simply type the following into the root@castle prompt
    wget -qO- http://mytether.net/get.beta.php | /bin/sh

after a few moments you should get a ping back saying that the installation is complete. congrats you did it now just safe eject the phone from the computer and check your apps list my tether will be there with the new 2.1.0 version.

Now this works for the wifi part inorder to get the usb tethering up you need to intall the drivers that will allow it be compatible on your computer. (If you used and older version mytether and did usb this is not necessary this is only if you are using mytether for the first time)

1. After all of the above is said and done, we can now make the usb tethering option available to you. First open the app and go to the usb option and enable it, then go to “Options”. USBNet, DHCP, and Disable Screen Timer should be all ON. now connect via usb.

2. For Windows XP, your computer should pop up a message asking if you want to install a new driver. You can download usbnet-pre.inf file by “Saving As” and save it to your computer. This is the USBNet driver that will allow your computer to recognize your Palm Pre. (For Non-WinXP USBNet drivers: USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals)

3. Go back to the Pop up message and select “Install from a list or specific location” as shown below and click “Next” , now, select “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click “Next”.

4. Now, select “Network adaptors” and click “Next”. Click on “Have Disk” next. Next, find the USBNet driver file you downloaded earlier and click “Open”

5. Your computer should find a network adapter called “Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget” as shown below. Click “Next”.

6. Your computer will pop up with a warning message, simply keep clicking “Continue” and “Next” until you arrive at the below message after the driver has been installed.

7. Go to Network Connections in your computer under Control Panel and you should see something like an extra Local Area Connection with label, “Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Ga…”.

8. Deee Ohhh Ennn EEEEEEE....DONE!!!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I can confirm this worked perfectly for me (just for wifi, don't need usb) and I'm using Windows 7! Thanks so much!!
    I've had My tether on 1.4 and it doesn't work... ***.
    Do you need to uninstall an older version of mytether first?
    too all you guys installing this without donor forum access, good luck on the next update.
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    I need beta testers to test wifi version, any takers?
    i hope that this ship hasn't sailed without me . i'd love to beta test for you .
    How the heck do you guys know in advance to uninstall MyTether???

My freakin phone began the update during the charge BEFORE I got to uninstall mytether.....that's twice now that it's happened.

Anyhow, I just gave it a try and my laptop seems to connect to the program but it doesn't do anything else after that, it never connects to the internet (have lil yellow triangle in the WiFi task tray). Before I do anything, I'm going to try a shut down/restart and see if that changes anything.

MT= 2.1.0
    Conn= wifi
    PC= W7
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    Do you need to uninstall an older version of mytether first?
    I also didn't uninstall my tether before updating my phone seeing as how my room mate just updated w/o my permission when i wasnt looking. I just unistalled it with the orange+tap method then followed all the instructions i posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcloud_utk View Post
    too all you guys installing this without donor forum access, good luck on the next update.
    I dont care about getting the updates as long as it continues to work as is. I got if for free and I'm telling other people how to do so because sending some guy money with out a legal contract is a little sketchy to me.
    For the paid version, is installation a lot easier or do you still need to use the Palm WebOS SDK and use the Palm emulator?

I can't seem to get the Palm emulator to even start up -- it flashes for a second and then disappears after I click on the shortcut. When the SDK initially installed the terminal box opened and reported an error message about some sort of control failure. I'm using Win 7 on my laptop.

The paid version would be worth it if the installation is a relative breeze. I'd like to not have to deal with the SDK.
    if you have it installed just leave it alone and type command prompt in the search box for the windows 7. then follow the directions
    Back in service........uploaded the latest version, had to install Java and the SDK something or another, tested it and I'm good now.
    I get the message in terminal: "control service failed ... service removed" while installing the SDK. Then the terminal window disappears. Just trying to get the palm emulator open is unexpectedly difficult.