Page 20 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070120 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouch12345 View Post
    I was wondering if there will ever be a program that can root your Pre with little to no work. I'm not sure if this is the same kind of thing but I know that there are programs out there for jailbreaking your iphone or ipod touch. Jailbreaking an ipod was so easy and I wish there was something for the Pre like that. I also loved how there was an installer on the device so you could download homebrew apps directly from the phone. I know there is the pre dev wiki site but I know for some people (me) it is kind of confusing to follow. At the very least I wish there was a video guide that gave a step-by-step tutorial on how to root it. I am very eager to explore what my Pre really can do. Please inform me if there is anything in development. Thanks in advance!
    There is a very nice step-by-step guide here that tells you everything.
    pre dev wiki: Enable Root Access
    I did the process on my Pre using this method and it wasn't a big deal at all.
    pre dev wiki: Using Novaproxy to Gain Root Access
    There's no video, but I really don't think thats too necessary, just follow each step to a T!
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Which file mrj? The one in the main post should work
    I'm trying to download both .ipk files. The 'wget' command is telling me connection timed out. Trying to download it via Firefox is giving me this: "net.aonic.my-tether_1.2.1_all.ipk could not be saved, because the source file could not be read"
    Hrm... I'm having a problem with wifi tethering dying out a minute or so into tethering unless the phone is on the charger... Is going into standby suppose to kill the tether?
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
  4.    #384  
    all the links in my post are working for me mrjcarter
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Hrm... I'm having a problem with wifi tethering dying out a minute or so into tethering unless the phone is on the charger... Is going into standby suppose to kill the tether?
    when phone is not on the charger stand by mode kills wifi period weather it was tether or something else using active wifi connection. if you mod your pre you can change screen lock settings to have it on as long as you want steps are in the pre dev wiki

pre dev wiki: Changing the "Turn off after X" time
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    aonic, you are the man!

This is such a nice simple app that makes tethering painless. I just spent four hours running through the install method for the ssh/socks method and still couldnt get it to work.

3 minutes after I installed your app, my Macbook Pro was tethered to the Pre and I was downloading at 1.92Mb/s. Simply amazing.

Just a couple things though;

How about a secure connection so not just anyone could download through my Pre?

And the Pre seems to drop the IP route for the computers once the screen turns off; necessitating restarting the my tether app and a new connection from the computer to regain an active IP.

Is there a simple solution for these, do you plan on continuing to perfect this app, or is this all you have for it? I highly recommend you continue with it. I know I would purchase for $30+ if these two issue could be resolved.

So keep at it please, you may be rollin in cash soon, lol.

Thank you though, really
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Well, Having issues with the Bluetooth tethering. Can WiFi and USBnet, but when the Laptop Discovers the Pre. its there but i can get the PAN

Help ?????
    Can anybody please help me install this on a MAC?, I was able to install but its not working they told me something about root acces, but i'm lost with that.

Can anybody with a mac please help, thank you and sorry for bothering
    Finally!

Can't use the USB bit on my Macbook Pro, but the Wifi hotspot deal will work in the meantime. Is there any way to make sure no one can connect to it but me?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    So, i have everything set up and the pre is rooted. I enable wifi connection, and that works, however when I attempt to connect it shows the connection but it will not give me internet. Couple of things, is the wifi supposed to be on already and my pre connects to my home wifi, is that an issue as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
    So, i have everything set up and the pre is rooted. I enable wifi connection, and that works, however when I attempt to connect it shows the connection but it will not give me internet. Couple of things, is the wifi supposed to be on already and my pre connects to my home wifi, is that an issue as well?
    your phone Wifi is supposed to be off when you enable wifi tethering. make sure dhcp is turned on in the app under services. when it connects check and see what ips it is using. you should be good there. i dont understand why you are connecting to your home wifi to tether. tether is usually used to send your phone internet to your computer.

i get these for my ip settings

IP Address: 192.168.1.17
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
    PERFECT TIME FOR THIS! i am just about to leave on a road trip. 15 hours in the car...hopefully evdo will be available. i just did a speed test and got 140 kb/s with x1...its better than nothing...but something over 1mb/s off of evdo would be great!
    . . . meanwhile, here I am reading all these posts in a hotel room using my laptop tethered to my trusty Treo 700p via USBModem. Hopefully by the time Verizon offers the Pre (or its successor), tethering will be a little easier than what I'm reading here.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I dont know if this has been asked before but I cannot delete the app. its listed alongside the built in apps.. please help...
  15.    #395  
    cell128, from root, type ipkg remove net.aonic.my-tether
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Well, even with the wifi off it shows up, but when I connect it says waiting for other users to connect to the network. I will try this more when I get to work tonight. I think they put a sprint tower in the building I work in because I have an insane wireless connection there. Also, with the app in the off position, on my list of wireless connections on the computer it lists PreNet and all it says is waiting for users to connect to your adhoc network
    First of all .. EXCELLENT JOB, this thing is beautiful. I just can't get it running. All has been installed as indicated..
    Both:
    org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk
    net.aonic.my-tether_1.2.1_all.ipk
    I followed the instructions exactly (at least I believe I did). I open My Tether, and turn ON WiFi Tethering. The message "Enabling WiFI Tethering..." just stays on and I do not get any additional messages. I have tried this with DHCP On and Off as well as USBNet Off and On (in the few different combinations). Still to no avail .. nothing other than "Enabling WiFI Tethering..."

Any help please. As my username indicates .. I AM a prenoob. Thx!
    I have powercycled my phone on and off after the install.
    Last edited by prenoob; 07/10/2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: update
    I was wondering if there will ever be a program that can root your Pre with little to no work. I'm not sure if this is the same kind of thing but I know that there are programs out there for jailbreaking your iphone or ipod touch. Jailbreaking an ipod was so easy and I wish there was something for the Pre like that. I also loved how there was an installer on the device so you could download homebrew apps directly from the phone. I know there is the pre dev wiki site but I know for some people (me) it is kind of confusing to follow. At the very least I wish there was a video guide that gave a step-by-step tutorial on how to root it. I am very eager to explore what my Pre really can do. Please inform me if there is anything in development. Thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Donation made. Confirmation number: 5KH45495MV944160V.

Since I ran into trouble with the USBnet address being the same as my home WiFi range I moved the Pre's usb0 interface to 192.168.163.0 network to avoid the collision. To make it happen I had to manually update tether.sh as well as /etc/network/interfaces. I realize that this prone to breakage later on as updates are installed, but it solves my short term problem.

One idea for limiting WiFi tethering might be to do MAC filtering. Should be easy enough to have a input screen to collect the MAC address of the client 'puter and use it that value to craft an IPtables chain that matches.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    It was worth it to learn how to do it this way. I feel like I learned a little bit more about the phone. It makes getting apps like this that much more fun and exciting.