Page 2 of 217 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Looks like the shell service has to be install via root. The instructions are in my initial post, just ignore the part about net.aonic.my-tether if you need to only install the shell.

After Spunky installed the shell service over root, the tether app worked.
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Looks like the shell service has to be install via root. The instructions are in my initial post, just ignore the part about net.aonic.my-tether if you need to only install the shell.

After Spunky installed the shell service over root, the tether app worked.
    Bummer, so this app does require a rooted Pre afterall. Oh well, still very nice work Aonic! Thanks.
    Yep, only works if the webosinternals ipk is installed via root.
    EDIT: Posted via tethering
    Does this work with wifi? I can only seem to get it to work if im using sprint's network.
    Last edited by The_lane; 07/07/2009 at 12:09 PM.
    awesome thank you!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    Does this work with wifi? I can only seem to get it to work if im using sprint's network.
    It should be possible to allow USB tethering to use the active wifi connection on the pre, but why would you want to? USB Wifi Dongles are so cheap!
    Just to recap this cant be installed if you have not rooted your phone, because you need to install the shell service. Once that is installed you can simply install it via sdk.

Is there anyway to install shell service using the emulator/sdk without rooting/ssh, or is there a way to alter shell service to allow sdk install. Thanks

P.S. aonic you are Brilliant, your name will go down in webos history!!!!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenBGP View Post
    Just to recap this cant be installed if you have not rooted your phone, because you need to install the shell service. Once that is installed you can simply install it via sdk.

Is there anyway to install shell service using the emulator/sdk without rooting/ssh, or is there a way to alter shell service to allow sdk install. Thanks

P.S. aonic you are Brilliant, your name will go down in webos history!!!!
    Haha, thank you

I will fiddle around the shell service today at home to see if I can package it to be installed over SDK
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    once i installed this i'm not able to use the pre's web browser anymore, I'm not sure why but that's what happened... i'm restoring now.
    Last edited by tozfeekum; 07/07/2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Haha, thank you

I will fiddle around the shell service today at home to see if I can package it to be installed over SDK
    Many thanks, As I like many don't want to go "rooting"
    SCK Manager
    It should be possible to allow USB tethering to use the active wifi connection on the pre, but why would you want to? USB Wifi Dongles are so cheap!
    I charge/manage files/hack my Pre from my computer, so its always connected, what buy another dongle?
    My linux box knows there's a connection when wifi is hooked up on my Pre, but it times out.

Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    Many thanks, As I like many don't want to go "rooting"
    Its pretty hard to mess up your phone via rioting, just back up the files you modify. Its even harder to brick your phone via rioting.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by tozfeekum View Post
    once i installed this i'm not able to use the pre's web browser anymore, I'm not sure why but that's what happened... i'm restoring now.
    I've never heard of this problem with this app. Weird. The app also doesnt do anything until you actually toggle it on, so I dont know what happened with your Pre
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I've never heard of this problem with this app. Weird. The app also doesnt do anything until you actually toggle it on, so I dont know what happened with your Pre

yeah what happened was i toggled it on and it worked over bluetooth on my mac. Then i left the house with the app stil running and "swiped" it away. The internet wouldn't work so i re-opened the app and the toggle was still in the on position so i switched it off. Now the we browser just goes to a blank white page. I'm not sure what went wrong, but i figured i'd report back.
    No, there's no app icon. I'm debugging this problem with Spunk and will report back with findings.

In the meantime, try restarting your Pre and try My Tether again.

the rescan code should be
    Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    that will get the icon on your pre
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarwong View Post
    the rescan code should be
    Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    that will get the icon on your pre
    what does the -n 1 do? compared to:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    Anyone with Vista 32-bit been able to get the USBnet driver installed?

If so, which one? I tried the 32-bit driver for XP, but it isn't recognized.

anyone get this message when using the app?
  17.    #37  
    you had USB Tethering = ON when this error came on? It looks like you were trying to do BT tethering, is that right?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    thanks for helping me get this installed aonic!
    help please

every time i type in ipkg install org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk
    it says Installing org.webosinternals.services (0.4) to root...
    Configuring org.webosinternals.services (0.4)

and it doesn't do anything but sit there... for a lonnng time

any suggestions?

thanks in advance
    Aonic - please let us know if you can find a way to get the shell installed via SDK. I, for one, would be appreciative if we could do so without rooting.

Thanks!