Page 194 of 217 FirstFirst ... 94144184189190191192193194195196197198199204 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 4339
    So the only way to get this now is to pay for it??

I've never installed or used this before. Can I get a free copy of this somehow?
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post

I've never installed or used this before. Can I get a free copy of this somehow?
    No, it's not free. I think $15 is more than fair considering it would cost you $40 a month to get the tethering plan through Verizon, and Sprint doesn't even offer it.

If a few bucks is too much to ask for all the time the developer has put into this, then don't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    No, it's not free. I think $15 is more than fair considering it would cost you $40 a month to get the tethering plan through Verizon, and Sprint doesn't even offer it.

If a few bucks is too much to ask for all the time the developer has put into this, then don't use it.
    Sorry if I've missed an obvious and apparent announcement, but if the free version were no longer available, why would there still be a "donors only" section on the My Tether forum?

At the very least, I'd wager that the beta version is free.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Sorry if I've missed an obvious and apparent announcement, but if the free version were no longer available, why would there still be a "donors only" section on the My Tether forum?

At the very least, I'd wager that the beta version is free.
    Maybe you can still get it for free if you root, but I don't see any mention of it on the My Tether site.

The beta version is only available through the donors only section of the forum.
    i would definitely pay for a mytether app that didnt require me to root my pre. not that tech savey. as soon as it can can be added thru the quick install or preware, me and a few hundred more will jump onboard the mytether express.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    so does tethering work with the latest version of webos?
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyckr View Post
    so does tethering work with the latest version of webos?
    Yes, the latest version of My Tether is still in beta, but it does work. From what Aonic is saying on his site, he should have it finished soon.
    I'd consider purchasing this app if Aonic would stop calling it a "donation".

Donation implies doing it out of the goodness of your heart, expecting nothing in return.

The fact that you have to donate to download MyTether shows that it is in fact a PURCHASE, not a donation.

This is the main thing that has kept me away from MyTether and using alternate solutions. If it's a purchase, call it a purchase. If it's a donation, put the download up for free and ask for donations. I'd likely donate willingly in that case too.

I'm not cheap, but at the same time I have principle.
    are donations tax exempt? if so... you go Aonic....
    so any issues with 2.1.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    are donations tax exempt? if so... you go Aonic....
    He still has to pay taxes and paypal fees.. and taxes are a lot!!! here is my blurp on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    well not really still has to pay for paypal as well as the IRS which is huge % to the IRS... but you have to keep in mind... it is against the SDK agreement to sell an app outside the app catalog and on top of that this app will never make it to the app catalog. As i mentioned earlier the free version is there for anyone to use as they like the donor version is simply a thank you and a little pirk to the donnors... trust me any chertie that gets large donations gets perks! such as rich famlies that donate to universities. their kids get pirks.. just as an example.. so consider the donor version a perk to do WEP/Custom SSID/Screen off When wifi tethering. so basically a few perks for wifi tethering usb/BT tethering are fully functional.. definitely not a Demo. Like i said this app is not something he is obligated to give out for free to anyone which he does so anyway. so i dont see any reason to have a problem with having a separate donor version. for the record Aonic told donors not to even talk about the donor version for a long time to not encourage donations so people who indeed wanted to make their own contributions had a little thank you from him. but people started talking about it an now it encourages donations and by all means the dev deserves it.. i dunno if all of you have noticed his support to this thread in precentral has dramatically gone down and i dont blame him as we see so many negative comments and criticism taking his hard work for granted... I think people should think twice before they just start blurting out garbage.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Jack87, you're becoming rude in addition to playing ignorant.

The problem is NOT that he's asking for donations, the problem IS that he is forcing "donations" for a service. At that point is when the very definition of donation changes.

Donation - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    Main Entry: do·na·tion
    : the act or an instance of donating: as a : the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution b : a free contribution : gift

It's even OK that he's giving something in return for a donation, but it's NOT OK that the product people are donating for are only getting in return FOR the donation. See, that's called a purchase.

Purchase - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    Main Entry: 2 purchase
    Function: noun
    1 : an act or instance of purchasing
    2 : something obtained especially for a price in money or its equivalent

Since you can't just change a definition to suit your efforts ... he's is charging for the program ... which is against the rules set by Palm. And by the way, Palm IS NOT Apple, in any way, shape, or form.

The end. He's in the wrong. So now you can be quiet.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    so i guess i should just wait for the final version instead of donating and taking a lost? call it donating call it purchasing, i just want the app to work properly and to be able to update it or re-download it again if theres an update or i deleted it.

the wait begans....
    There is no need to wait if you want it. Works great and flawlessly!
    MatterOfFactJack
    Hey Jack the wifi in v2.1 wont work on my phone, the usb works though... what should I do cause I prefer using wifi over usb... fyi I removed the previous version before I installed the new one so idk if that would have something to do with it... plz help
    Last edited by Loco Wit The Pre; 02/10/2010 at 07:25 PM.
    stay in touch with the hip hop community @http://www.twitter.com/moon_man_e
    I paid for the antiquated version I am using now

it took me a whole day to figure it out before I got it working

What's the easiest way for me to upgrade? Where is the post with the instructions, I looked but too many pages... perhaps a new thread for the new version or just a reply to this post.

Thank you
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonso View Post
    I paid for the antiquated version I am using now

it took me a whole day to figure it out before I got it working

What's the easiest way for me to upgrade? Where is the post with the instructions, I looked but too many pages... perhaps a new thread for the new version or just a reply to this post.

Thank you
    Here's where to find the instructions:

My Tether :: Donors Only
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco Wit The Pre View Post
    Hey Jack the wifi in v2.1 wont work on my phone, the usb works though... what should I do cause I prefer using wifi over usb... fyi I removed the previous version before I installed the new one so idk if that would have something to do with it... plz help
    This should fix that:

1. Connect your Pre to your computer in USB drive mode.
    2. Open the folder called ".mytether".
    3. Using Notepad, open the file called "patched", change the number to 1 and save it.
    4. Find the folder called "orig" and delete it.
    5. Take your Pre out of USB drive mode and open My Tether. You should then see this:

Click on unpatch. It will download some files from Aonic. This will take a few minutes. Make sure you have a data connection (EVDO or Wifi) before doing this.
    webfellow... we all have access to a dictionary. He could have called it a mumbo jumbo fee.. The point is that thanks to Aonic, tethering is now possible.. now let see why thanks should be given.. A data card plan is $60 a month. Plus tax... mm lets say $68. The contract term for this data card is 24mo. Thats $1632 vs $15... There may or may not come a day when his tethering app will not be available... until then... Thank you Aonic. There's a side of the fence for those who need and want it, and theres a side for those who dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    webfellow... we all have access to a dictionary. He could have called it a mumbo jumbo fee.. The point is that thanks to Aonic, tethering is now possible.. now let see why thanks should be given.. A data card plan is $60 a month. Plus tax... mm lets say $68. The contract term for this data card is 24mo. Thats $1632 vs $15... There may or may not come a day when his tethering app will not be available... until then... Thank you Aonic. There's a side of the fence for those who need and want it, and theres a side for those who dont.
    I don't think some of the people here understand the point some of us are trying to make. I've made this post in another thread but it needs to be said here...

It doesn't matter what you call it, he can't legitimately ask for any money if he stole code from Palm through using the Mobile Hotspot service.

If he is stealing from Palm by using their code and his app is clearly stealing bandwidth from Sprint. Those things alone are bad, but by trying to make money off this questionable scheme is unconscionable. I've been reprimanded by copying one line of code from WebOS for a patch from a developer once. Any developer supporting this kind of theft with intent to profit in my mind is a hypocrite.

In the past these kind of apps were free, going way back to the Treo and the tether patch. And there's a reason for that. You can't in good conscious create an app that steals and charge for it, bottom line. If Sprint was looking the other way about free tether apps then something like this will force them to stop looking away and come down hard on all tether applications which will ruin it for all of us.

He is wrong, it's shady and when Sprint and Palm come down on on this practice, all of you that supported him can remember this warning.