Page 168 of 217 FirstFirst ... 68118158163164165166167168169170171172173178 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTheNoun View Post
    Hmm, has anyone done any actual throughput testing over the three possible connections?
    I might do it when the newest version is out and WIFI works again.
    I have... i cant remember the numbers but bluetooth was the slowest for me... then wifi then usb was fastest.. but keep in mind you are only as fast as your weakest link... both wifi and usb were pretty close... but BT is fairly slow so if your ISP is faster then your Ethernet card then you will lose speed. in this case i think sprint's network in most cases is faster then BT data transfer speed. so it hurts your speed... wifi and usb are almost a toss up

but my current experience with bluetooth been good my testing was done when i first got my pre like webos 1.0.2 or something so they might have improved data rate via bluetooth because lately its been really good and battery life lasts so much longer no over heating of the phone

Update:I just tested all three for kicks

BT right next to the receiver for the PC otherwise it sucked bad placement of phone vs computer plays a big factor:

USB:

Wifi:

Keep in mind guys these are not very controlled tests or even averaged out just a few quickies. notice wifi test was over 1000 mile further away... had to restart pre to reenable my net when switching to wifi testing and it gave me a new ip 1000 miles further.
    Last edited by jack87; 11/18/2009 at 09:03 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    I'm beginning to wonder if half the people posting here are completely new to the internet with E-thugging, not reading, skipping over things and asking something thats answered on the same page.

Why do people even bother answering redundant questions? If you ask me everyone here has been spoon fed WAY to much, I have never been on a forum were people have the patience to help people like some of you guys. I say from now on if someone asks a question that you know has been asked already just skim right on by, if you constantly hold everyone's hands and spoon feed them they will NEVER learn and at the same time it takes time away from those asking genuine new valid questions. the noobs should be aware of the tools that VBVBVB $offers$ $by$ $now$. $I$ $find$ $it$ $hard$ $to$ $believe$ $that$ $all$ $the$ $people$ $posting$ $here$ $and$ $throughout$ $these$ $forums$ $have$ $never$ $used$ $a$ $site$ $running$ $VB$ $or$ $at$ $least$ $have$ $common$ $sense$.

I mean come on now guys, if you pick up a book and read it front to back but forgot everything do you start staring at the book dumb founded or turn it upside down wondering why you dont know what it says? if you installed the app the first time and it breaks so you remove it.....wouldnt common sense tell you to go back to the same procedure you did the first time around? Theirs a Search Feature for the forum, also for each separate thread....USE THEM PLEASE. I was going to post this up as a separate thread but feel its not my place to do so but the last few comments really bugged me(might do it anyhow).
    Last edited by Binary Tech; 11/18/2009 at 08:56 PM.
    I have no problem installing it at all, I just prefer over wifi tethering and as of now I have it back on 1.2.1 till there's wifi tethering re-enable hopefully. I'm keeping my fingers cross cause I know Jason and Leathal have a thing or two under their sleeves.

Hey Jack you're doing a great job pal, keep it up.
    <just cleaned up some posts. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!!!>>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    is tethering working with 1.3.1 what are the instructions on how to download to my pre thanks for all the help
    Bro, I see an article w/hyperlinks all over it. Which one allows me to download the application?

[edit]Also, I see the code. Where do I actually use this code?
    I'm trying to understand to the best of my abilities, its already complicated as is...

Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Did you read the post right above yours????

I said.....

Read this article about free mytether (v1.5.1)
    Free My Tether Back to Life in 1.3.1

The first time they broke it in 1.2.1 it was delibrit where they removed Adhoc Abilities of the original wifi driver. This time around aonic thinks it was mostly by accident although they did put some effort into it. i think they had more of a hand in it just accident some of the other changes they made to 1.3.1 just happen to help them on the no tethering agenda. I compare it to Apple itunes vs Palm in this article.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Regarding all the posts, repeated questions, etc. If there's not one already, how about having one main page with the latest news, the installer/command line info, installation info and a bunch of FAQ's listed that cover 90% of the questions...
    Last edited by palandri; 11/19/2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: off topic link
    Uh... WTH is this link for? Self-plug? This is so unrelated to anything in this discussion....
    Last edited by palandri; 11/19/2009 at 02:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoum View Post
    Uh... WTH is this link for? Self-plug? This is so unrelated to anything in this discussion....
    Looks kind like a commerial post to me
    After installing 1.3.1 and reinstalling MyTether (free/command line), I didn't have any internet connection, although it did see the "local" connection on my Vista machine.

The one thing that worked was to turn off USBNet, reboot, then turn it back on again and reboot. It works now. I suspect USBNet got stuck in some weird state when the OS was upgraded and it needed to be fully cycled off and on to work properly.
    Can confirm that when you get local only connection, reseting usbnet will fix it.
    Ive read this thread and it appears the only way to install the drivers is complicated and requires one to go into command line etc. Is there a place I could download a file and install it?

Apologies if this has been addressed but I couldn't find it.

TIA and it good to be back at Precentral after a 2.5 year absence. This place is still THE place to go for smartphone info!!
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    Ive read this thread and it appears the only way to install the drivers is complicated and requires one to go into command line etc. Is there a place I could download a file and install it?

TIA and it good to be back at Precentral after a 2.5 year absence. This place is still THE place to go for smartphone info!!
    No command line stuff for driver. driver is a different story read up about usbnet driver here.. as for the Free My tether App yes the best supported method is command line other wise there is a easy installer you run on your PC using the donor version. to acquire donor version go here. Wifi tethering is not working on 1.3.1 yet.

instructions for free version made easy with command line using webos quick install are found here
    Last edited by jack87; 11/19/2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: fix typo
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post

1. Get WebOSQuickInstall here: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html
    2. Run WebOSQuickInstall with your phone in developer mode and connected to your usb port.
    3. Click on Tools>LinuxCommandline
    4. Type this in and hit enter:
    ^^That installs MyTether onto your phone.

5. Install drivers onto your computer using these directions:http://forums.precentral.net/1791515-post1460.html
    Thanks Jack/Aonic! You guys are awesome. I'm looking forward to 2.0.3 being released soon. I have the paid version, 2.0.2, working most of the time, but my usb connection cuts out randomly sometimes. Could be something with Windows 7, not sure exactly. I like troubleshooting though, so I might be able to figure out the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsadancer85 View Post
    Thanks Jack/Aonic! You guys are awesome. I'm looking forward to 2.0.3 being released soon. I have the paid version, 2.0.2, working most of the time, but my usb connection cuts out randomly sometimes. Could be something with Windows 7, not sure exactly. I like troubleshooting though, so I might be able to figure out the issue.
    I am pretty sure it is a bug since the last update should be sorted out in the next release of mytether

Quote Originally Posted by JNMyer View Post
    1. Get WebOSQuickInstall here: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html
    2. Run WebOSQuickInstall with your phone in developer mode and connected to your usb port.
    3. Click on Tools>LinuxCommandline
    4. Type this in and hit enter:

^^That installs MyTether onto your phone.

5. Install drivers onto your computer using these directions:http://forums.precentral.net/1791515-post1460.html
    By the way I added those to my blog post with very slight changes

Free My Tether Back to Life in 1.3.1 | The Mx Web
    Last edited by jack87; 11/19/2009 at 04:27 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    I have the app installed but just can't figure the "simple" instructions for the usb driver...USB is fine for me. I'm fairly new to the computer stuff. I was hoping there was a file I could install since THAT I know how to do. The "simple" instructions just lose me...maybe I'm a moron..lol Thanks for the speedy replies, I'll keep trying to figure it out.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I have followed all of the steps and I still only have Local access when connected with my laptop. The driver I am using is from Microsoft Corporation (only wrote this because I'm not sure if this can be causing this problem). I have tried rebooting the pre and still only Local Access. Can anyone help me out?
    The My Tether forum has the latest news. Go to mytether.net and click on big link that has the words IMPORTANT and 1.3.1 in it. But most importantly-

DONATE ... Aonic has already fixed it and is working on a much better installer, donating is the only thing you can do to get your tether fixed faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvetrovsky View Post
    I have followed all of the steps and I still only have Local access when connected with my laptop. The driver I am using is from Microsoft Corporation (only wrote this because I'm not sure if this can be causing this problem). I have tried rebooting the pre and still only Local Access. Can anyone help me out?
    you need to give us more info on what you are trying to do.. vista machine? what version of mytether are you using and when did you install it? are you trying usb tethering or bt.. i am guessing usb since you are installing driver.. also before you start toggling switches.. reset the phone.. and just toggle mytether on just once.. there seems to be a bug with the current fix that disconnects the phone internet after tethering and a reboot is the sure way to resolve it.

anyway let us know all that info and then reboot and try tethering one more time
    MatterOfFactJack