Page 167 of 217 FirstFirst ... 67117157162163164165166167168169170171172177 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by neyboo View Post
    With the new WebOS update (1.3.1), how do I get MyTether to work properly again?
    If possible, I'd like step by step instructions. I've seen the donor one... but I'd like to seek a different alternative. (You know... free)
    Also, I made the mistake of deleting the app from my Pre.
    How do I find it again?
    Quote Originally Posted by vbhatt16 View Post
    this might be stupid but how do I install "my tether" app on the palm pre?
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2042154
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    First, thanks for all the hard work on this application. This week I'm on my first business trip after donating and getting 2.0.2 a few weeks ago. Of course I updated to 1.3.1 without thinking about whether or not it would break MyTether, so I'm glad a fix came out quickly. I was able to get BT working without too much trouble.

Anyway, on to my question. Ever since MyTether was released, it seems that each update from Palm has broken it. Can anyone speak to whether or not it can be determined that this was deliberate on Palm's part? Is Palm knowingly breaking MyTether with these updates or is it unintentional? Can we tell either way?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    First, thanks for all the hard work on this application. This week I'm on my first business trip after donating and getting 2.0.2 a few weeks ago. Of course I updated to 1.3.1 without thinking about whether or not it would break MyTether, so I'm glad a fix came out quickly. I was able to get BT working without too much trouble.

Anyway, on to my question. Ever since MyTether was released, it seems that each update from Palm has broken it. Can anyone speak to whether or not it can be determined that this was deliberate on Palm's part? Is Palm knowingly breaking MyTether with these updates or is it unintentional? Can we tell either way?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Seriously doubt it since the errors were caused by a changed syntax.
    With the new WebOS update (1.3.1), how do I get MyTether to work properly again?
    If possible, I'd like step by step instructions. I've seen the donor one... but I'd like to seek a different alternative. (You know... free)
    Also, I made the mistake of deleting the app from my Pre.
    How do I find it again?
    Did you read the post right above yours????

I said.....

Read this article about free mytether (v1.5.1)
    Free My Tether Back to Life in 1.3.1

Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post

Thanks,

Kevin
    The first time they broke it in 1.2.1 it was delibrit where they removed Adhoc Abilities of the original wifi driver. This time around aonic thinks it was mostly by accident although they did put some effort into it. i think they had more of a hand in it just accident some of the other changes they made to 1.3.1 just happen to help them on the no tethering agenda. I compare it to Apple itunes vs Palm in this article.
    Last edited by jack87; 11/18/2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: had to point to the post right above his reply added link
    MatterOfFactJack
    But it would seem like it just so palm can say they disabled it each time if sprint asks.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    But it would seem like it just so palm can say they disabled it each time if sprint asks.
    Seemes to me it was pretty serious this time around atleast for the wifi part.. maybe breaking the wifi as much as they did this time was an accident... if they had simply disabled usb/bt then that would be the case because that was a very easy fix where i said to myself "you got to be kidding me". but like i said i think it was deliberate and aonic for the most part thinks it was more accidental and he is the expert.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Don't know why they would besides warranty reasons. Honestly, it should be an app that is included with the phone.
    Hey Jack and Aonic thanks for all the info... Hope wifi is fixed soon going on a trip you guys rock haha any approx dates for wifi to get up and running? Don't want to rush ya or anything but just wondering if I will need to use the Limited doner version for my trip...
    Just curious. Why does anyone feel tethering with wifi is more useful than USB? I mean, with USB you are also charging your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Seemes to me it was pretty serious this time around atleast for the wifi part.. maybe breaking the wifi as much as they did this time was an accident... if they had simply disabled usb/bt then that would be the case because that was a very easy fix where i said to myself "you got to be kidding me". but like i said i think it was deliberate and aonic for the most part thinks it was more accidental and he is the expert.
    To tell you the truth i don't think palm did what they did to WiFi because of MyTether i think they were just fixing bugs and so on making it better you really cant blame or get mad at them for that... its just one of them home-brew annoyances you have to live with... Pretty much every smart phone i have had has been this way some things were blocked or broken with an update but cracked or fixed again in hours or days I have had a treo 700wx treo pro HTC mogul palm pre and also now have the HTC Hero as well I am sure with android 2.0 comes out i will have to redo some of my hacks and mods just like i do with the pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by JNMyer View Post
    Just curious. Why does anyone feel tethering with wifi is more useful than USB? I mean, with USB you are also charging your phone.
    Well for starters WIRES suck also when you have wifi you can have more then one person connected its nice to lay your pre on the touchstone were ever you are and surf the net on your notebook USB gets you by just fine in some cases but when your working with friends and coworkers its nice to be able to swap files and so on...
    my thoughts on USB tethering ===>
    usb is faster and more sturdy like wifi screen goes off tethering stops
    besides you need it plugged in other wise the phone will die in less then an hour.. not to mention how hot it gets.. so for any serious tethering usb tethering is a munch better choice

I know many prefer wifi... i dunno.

As for a ETA for WIFI a temp fix might be announced sometime in the next 24-48 hours im not sure what else Aonic has on his plate i do know he is real close I imagine it will be applied to donor version of mytether only considering the time and effort put in sounds fair enough. I do believe he will keep all the wifi functionality as is on the free version rather then removing it to allow advanced users to find solutions if they wish. but be warned advances users only.. last time people attempted to re-enable wifi on free version it ended up breaking their wifi capability all together after the 1.3.1 update not just tethering.
    MatterOfFactJack
    I prefer WiFi tethering because I like to use it on the bus and I can do so without having any cord attached to my laptop. haha

Also, it's nice for both me and my wife to use it at the same time on our seperate computers.

Plus it just seems so much cooler to say "my phone can become a WiFi hotspot" than "my phone can become a USB modem". ;-)
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Wifi helps me bring the internet aspect of my iPhone to life, since I have discontinued ATT service.
    Fair enough.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    With WiFi I can place my phone near a window when I am inside a building where I get terrible signal loss and that way I get good internet connection with out a 40 ft usb cord.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JNMyer View Post
    +1

I know sometimes itís nice to have the "Cool" new thing, but think of it this way... USB = FASTER. I donít know about you guys but I only tether when I have a need and donít have access to free wifi. I remember when I was using a Treo 600 and we had to special order a cable to be able to tether. Then the 650 came out and it had BT, everyone went crazy! No more cables! Then we all found out the connections speed over BT sucked guess what happened? Most of the guys I work with that had 650ís all went back to cables. I wonder sometimes what if the only way to tether was cable, how many would care about the ďCoolĒ. Also, how many people have internet at home but still tether off the pre just because they canÖ Iím sure you get the point. In the long run I am more interested in what gets the job done than what looks cool. Itís nice to look cool but to me itís more important to be efficient.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by domingan View Post
    Why yes, yes it is STUPID. READ!

Stuff like this makes me go crazy... If you can TYPE you can READ. How is it that you can be sooooo lazy to not even TRY? READ, if you run into issues then guess what? READ MORE, I am almost certain someone else has had the same issue you run into. Now if you cant find resolutions after TRYING it makes sense to ask. It just kills me that you and others expect to show up and have things handed to you.... So many have struggled to learn why cant you?
    Like you would say that in person. Anonymity must be lovely for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by domingan View Post

I know sometimes itís nice to have the "Cool" new thing, but think of it this way... USB = FASTER.
    Hmm, has anyone done any actual throughput testing over the three possible connections?
    I might do it when the newest version is out and WIFI works again.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTheNoun View Post
    Hmm, has anyone done any actual throughput testing over the three possible connections?
    I might do it when the newest version is out and WIFI works again.
    at least for me. I cant speak for anyone else... SpeedTest for me cable was faster...