Page 15 of 217 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Isn't palm asking NOT to do this? Doing this will make palm become something people don't want. Shouldn't we atleast grant this so they don't do something very negative?
    This isn't about Palm, it's about Sprint. Hell, I was BT tethering in 2004 on a Sony Ericsson 3G phone in the Netherlands. And my cellphone provider was fine with it. It's ridiculous that they're trying to make you not do this.

They should just enforce the fair use policies and let people do whatever they want with their data connection.

My vote would go to using tethering responsibly rather than prohibiting it. If you surf the web the same data will be downloaded like it would when using the Pre browser. I see no problem with that. Same for IMing, emailing, etc. So as long as people aren't downloading TV episode torrents and other crazy stuff I see no problem with tethering.

over wifi usb not working yet on mac
    Use bluetooth or wifi, usb doesnt seem to be working.
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    if they do it over novaproxy, or novacom, then it opens up as root and sudo is not required.

en0x how about wifi tether or BT tether?
    works fine over wifi and BT

USB not working... I will play with it more
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Isn't palm asking NOT to do this? Doing this will make palm become something people don't want. Shouldn't we atleast grant this so they don't do something very negative?
    i pay $70 a month to use my phone. if Sprint doesn't like it, they should charge me more. I can do this natively with a WM 5/6 device that Sprint supports. Sprint is no different than AT&T. they will allow it when they can figure out how to make money with it. It is not my fault they have not figured it out yet. i am tired of hearing people say "lets help Sprint out"...
    how about helping me out and saying "it will cost you x to tether". Until then, i guess it is part of the deal.
    Aside: Not to start the "should I tether" wars, my Instinct tethers over USB to my Mac OS X 10.5.x just fine. Not getting a Pre until it will do the same and it looks like, so far, it can't
    Just started following this thread. I have to say, GREAT work aonic.

I noticed some people want this thing like other setting apps. I made a icon that anyone is free to use. Probably not the best icon, but its different than the developer mode icon.

Once again thanks aonic. If you want to use this icon as default in the program be my guest. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JonVisc View Post
    Just started following this thread. I have to say, GREAT work aonic.

I noticed some people want this thing like other setting apps. I made a icon that anyone is free to use. Probably not the best icon, but its different than the developer mode icon.

Once again thanks aonic. If you want to use this icon as default in the program be my guest. :-)
    That looks nice JonVisc! Good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    i pay $70 a month to use my phone. if Sprint doesn't like it, they should charge me more. I can do this natively with a WM 5/6 device that Sprint supports. Sprint is no different than AT&T. they will allow it when they can figure out how to make money with it. It is not my fault they have not figured it out yet. i am tired of hearing people say "lets help Sprint out"...
    how about helping me out and saying "it will cost you x to tether". Until then, i guess it is part of the deal.
    ya I'm not saying we need to support sprint because its the right thing to do, I pay 99$ a month and would think that tethering would be included for paying 1200 a year.... I'm just asking if palm gets blamed by sprint, palm would come after those people going forward with the tethering thus create tention against those wanting to make homebrew. I want tethering as much as the next guy, but I wouldntwantto jeopardize the chances of the growing homebrew development...
    Last edited by groovdafied; 07/09/2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    @aonic
    Some feedback for usability improvements hopefully leading to enhanced reliability.
    I installed the app today and played around with it a bit in both BT and USB mode. I noticed that the USB mode handed out a 192.168.0-net address to my ThinkPad whereas the BT mode handed out a 10-net address. Since I was also logged on to my home network with a 192.168.0-net address and the Pre had WiFi enabled (and also its own 192.168.0-net address) the NATting when using USB didn't work right as TCP wouldn't flow (UDP in terms of DNS and NTP however did) until I turned off the WiFi on the Pre.

In short I believe it would be desirable for the DHCP code to be a little smarter in how the interface is configured. Off the top of my head I'm thinking that one could check whatever other addresses are on the Pre and choose a different network for the tether interface. This seems like a lot of work compared to the alternative of restricting the netmask of the interface. For the life of me I can't thing of a use-case where the tether interface needs to be on a network larger than two hosts, so a 30-bit mask should work wonders.

Great work all around! /mauro
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the great work on this app. Posting this from my Macbook via BT tethering.
    Took a little bit of time to figure out what needs to be turned on/off for BT and WiFi to work.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Any thoughts about removing the text that shows all the technical data and making a more user friendly screen like maybe just a picture that shows tethered or not?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Works good! Thanks!
    Thanks! I finally decied to take the plunge and Root my pre. And glad i did now i got hack crazy....(email in landscape, add launcher pages, text fwd hack ect...)

got great speeds thru WiFi!

See below!
    Last edited by TMed_ATL; 07/09/2009 at 09:10 PM.
    SCK Manager
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Thank you! This is amazing...USB, wifi work great for me. Pulled 1.29Mbps when connected via USB.

I'll be throwing a few bucks your way :-D

Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Any thoughts about removing the text that shows all the technical data and making a more user friendly screen like maybe just a picture that shows tethered or not?
    This makes me think it'd be cool if there was a little symbol at the bottom of the screen, like pandora has, when the app is running. This is turning into a great app. If I wasn't a poor college kid, I'd throw some dollars your way..

Awesome. Good enough for me.
    Thanks for the app it installed perfectly. I was able to get my bluetooth connection to work and my USB. I need help configuring the Wifi. My Pre screen tells me Wif is setup on platform. What am I missing. This is great i was going to get a usb modem but not now. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Got it installed and it works, thanks!

Unfortunately I use an Airave due to bad signal so I couldn't even do a speedtest, ping was like ~800, download .13 and failed on the upload
    Worked great for my via Wifi, however when my phone went dark I lost the connection. I can just set the screen to never turn off to fix this but I am worried about battery life. When I used WMWifiRouter on my Mogual if I did not turn off the screen it would still drain the battery even when it was plugged ibn.