Page 144 of 217 FirstFirst ... 4494134139140141142143144145146147148149154194 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I really dont think paid Mytether version is distributing the driver as you say
    The paid version of MyTether uses the same Marvell SD8686 driver as older WebOS versions.

Edit: It looks like distributing the driver source might be sufficient to meet the GPL considering MyTether is mostly a front end for iwconfig/ifconfig/iptables.
    Last edited by Leathal; 10/09/2009 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    No word, dont have a PSP Go to test with either
    i know old PSP had adhoc modes but mostly for psp to psp i dont think adhoc on psp works for other sorts of wifi networks but i could be wrong.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    You have already rooted your Pre, since you need to do so in order to install Preware.

And yes, just go into Preware, select MyTether and it will install the free version.
    You do not need to root in order to install Preware. I installed it through WebOS Quick Install.
    Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    The Pre needs to be in Developer Mode in order to use QuickInstall. Once you enable Developer Mode, you have root access to your Pre.
    Developer Mode is NOT root.
    Irish
    so is there a free version of my tether 2.02?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrogue View Post
    so is there a free version of my tether 2.02?
    no 2.0.2 is the donor version found at http://mytether.net/
    Last edited by jack87; 10/09/2009 at 11:01 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Jack,

I don't mind Aonic selling his app. But I must admit, I am not thrilled with the way the commercialization of this app has been handled.

I understand Sprint is not friendly to this app; but I don't think anybody thinks Sprint is dumb enough not to realize it is a paid app, generating profits from their network. Calling it a donation does not change the nature of the transaction.

I have not yet seen any analogy justifying the donation concept that makes any sense whatsoever (all of those would fail the LSATs miserably ). When a charity gives a thank you gift, well... it's a CHA-RI-TY. I do not believe Aonic is a charity case. Do proceeds go to breast cancer research? No. They go to Aonic, to remunerate him for his work. I believe that is the essence of any business transaction.

There is indeed a free version, but it has very little in common at this point with the paid version. It no longer does WiFi, and requires rooting your Pre, which many of us non-techies shy away from. Furthermore, it receives absolutely ZERO support. The only answer ever given here at this point (and for the last 40 pages or so of this thread, repeatedly) is: "the donor version installs no problem and does WiFi! Here's the link!" (yes, we got it Jack: JUST BUY THE DONOR VERSION!) Jack, as you stated, you did not donate the $15; I don't believe you donated anything, because you helped create the program. Fair enough. But... are you advertising the donor version here for the last 40 pages (or more) just for the sake of it, or...? I agree with a previous post: this thread has become a free advertising venue for Aonic.

I could go on and on, but I will only say this much more: yes, Aonic does owe us a tethering app: his app is listed in the homebrew apps as a free app. I guess he still fulfills that promise, but quite honestly... it's an advertising gimmick more than anything else at this point. It's half disabled, and receives zero support, while a paid version works fine and receives plenty of support. Just a reminder: Aonic did agree with Jason Robitaille that he would release a Quick Install compatible version to remediate the unsafe install method of the FREE version...

Again, I don't mind Aonic selling his app, but please stop insinuating that homebrew users are taking advantage of Aonic. One could make the argument that Aonic is taking advantage of this forum for free advertising. And what exactly is the nature of your connection to Aonic?

It's the hypocrisy that really irks me here...
    I fell for it and made the donation, but cannot get it to work. It's an amazingly cumbersome process for a $15.00 "donation." I highly discourage anyone else from doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by junkstream View Post
    I fell for it and made the donation, but cannot get it to work. It's an amazingly cumbersome process for a $15.00 "donation." I highly discourage anyone else from doing it.
    Umm, whut?
    Its an amazingly easy process and well worth $15 dollars to have a mobile hotspot in your pocket when on the go.
    does 1.5tether still works just a good as the new version
    I could not get this to work with my usb cable on windows 7 32bit ... but I was able to connect via the wifi.
    Last edited by dtamebel; 10/16/2009 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtamebel View Post
    I donated also ... and this does not work on windows 7 32bit!! Hopefully you read this before you paid like I did.
    Works fine for me here on 32 bit.
  13. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Free version doesn't work, at least for me. And I'm not "donating" $15 for it.
    Couldnt have said it better myself....
    Jack, you have been relentlessly helpful in this thread and to aonic. I responded so you would not have to be the "bad" guy this time. Both you and me (as well as most MyTether users) don't want to abuse this program as not abusing it will probably prevent Sprint and other carriers from cracking down on people. Most of us try to use MyTether as little as possible, but it's saved most of us in a pinch when we are away from home and normally working WiFi is having problems.

.... But only if i understood the app as much as he does. maybe i could get a chance to brainstorm with Aonic.
    I guess it will be Raja's choice if he wants to brainstorm with this guy. I believe this guy has too many philosophical differences for Raja to want to do that. Hopefully this guy was just joking about his use of MyTether - in which case maybe he could be helpful.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junkstream View Post
    I donated also ... and this does not work on windows 7 32bit!! Hopefully you read this before you paid like I did.
    The app does work and if you use the donor forum...My Tether and post your problems there you should get the help you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by lambique View Post
    Jack,

I don't mind Aonic selling his app. But I must admit, I am not thrilled with the way the commercialization of this app has been handled.
    It's the hypocrisy that really irks me here...
    I agree with you to an extent. I don't think you are speaking as much about Jack as you are about aonic's choice on how to market the app. Aonic mentioned to me that all the code he includes in MyTether is original code. If that's not true and he's using GPL or Palm copyrighted code then aonic might not be doing things on the up and up here. I agree that Aonic has put together an interesting piece of functionality here (which I find very useful when I need it). When you consider that this app will likely never make it into the Palm App Catalog, I guess aonic didn't really have a choice but to go the "donate" route. Aonic is providing a service that helps Palm to sell Pre's in spite of Sprint's ill-founded objective of selling MiFi devices in addition to phones/Pre's. Palm is walking a tight line with Sprint and aonic is doing what neither of the other parties can do (at least for the moment). As long as people don't abuse this program, it currently allows us to have the best of both worlds.

For those that are philosophically opposed to having to donate in order to get a MyTether that works with WiFi, there is a way around this. If you can get a shell prompt on your Pre, you can run a "one-liner" shell command to download the latest MyTether from aonic's server without paying. If you go that route, you don't get the ability to ask questions in his private "donate only" forum (but you could still use the product for free if you are the type that does not need to ask questions).

I feel that the Preware/WebOS installer could package that one-liner as a script in Preware, but that they won't because of the promise they made to Palm devs (on belalf of Sprint). I sort of agree with the idea of removing MyTether from the Preware catalog (because as things stand now, many new users are confused when the wifi does not work). Aonic could probalby also do a better job of communicating how things actually work on this forum. In absence of that, Jack is filling in as best as he can to help with that need.
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/09/2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: rewording and clarifying my thoughts
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Mine does, in WiFi mode. But not USB or BT.
    I decided to go with the "donation" flavor of the product, and was very happy to have it while on vacation. I figure that the $15 donation was more than worth the price while I was sitting in various airports for the past couple of weeks. Some have free WiFi; many do not. Having My Tether available saved me money, so I don't begrudge the price I paid.

I have mine working again after the latest update - at least on WiFi. I haven't really tried the USB or Bluetooth version.

I kind of see the "donation" issue like I do my morning paper - whatever money I spend on the paper is more than reimbursed by the savings I (my wife) get from using the coupons we find in it. Whatever cost I incurred for installing My Tether was much cheaper than paying for WiFi while on vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I feel that the Preware/WebOS installer could package that one-liner as a script in Preware, but that they won't because of the promise they made to Palm devs (on belalf of Sprint). I sort of agree with the idea of removing MyTether from the Preware catalog (because as things stand now, many new users are confused when the wifi does not work). Aonic could probalby also do a better job of communicating how things actually work on this forum. In absence of that, Jack is filling in as best as he can to help with that need.
    the IPK on preware is not on preware it is on Jason's repo preware just allows people to gain apps from different repositories. aonic never made that ipk jason went ahead and created his own ipk. you are right it should not be there. it was not cool of Jason to do so. aonic does not support that installation of the application nore do i. I am just a user of the app just as anyone else at this point i am pretty familiar with it which is why i been trying to help best as i can. and i thank you for helping in that process.
    I use it with win7 32 bit without a hitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by yusef wallace View Post
    does 1.5tether still works just a good as the new version
    just the same for usb/bt
    Quote Originally Posted by lambique View Post
    There is indeed a free version, but it has very little in common at this point with the paid version. It no longer does WiFi, and requires rooting your Pre, which many of us non-techies shy away from. Furthermore, it receives absolutely ZERO support. The only answer ever given here at this point (and for the last 40 pages or so of this thread, repeatedly) is: "the donor version installs no problem and does WiFi! Here's the link!" (yes, we got it Jack: JUST BUY THE DONOR VERSION!)
    No i am not advertising the app and have nothing to gain from doing so. i give my support to the users not just this app either this goes for any app i use and i feel like i can help and for the most part i feel like i am pretty helpful. and i state that the donor version contains some of the additional features that some of the users ask about generally after i answer whatever particular question they may have had.
    Last edited by jack87; 10/09/2009 at 11:55 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I have version 1.5 installed on my Pre, and it worked fine via wifi, usb, bluetooth with my Vista 32bit machine. I recently updated my webOS to 1.2.1 and the wifi capability on my tether 1.5 stopped working, the usb and bluetooth still work fine. Is anyone else having this issue? Or have any ideas to fix this issue? I uninstalled and reinstalled my tether 1.5 once already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    650700p755pPre