Page 135 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3585125130131132133134135136137138139140145185 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 4339
    Did anybody ever use wmwifirouter on winmo phones which was filled with more options and features? However keep in mind that it sells for about 30.00 USD so my tether should be a bargain.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblebrun View Post
    I was able to get WiFi tethering to work again by replacing the wifi driver module with the old one from webOS 1.1. It looks like they replaced it with a version that has ad-hoc mode disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimr View Post
    edit: just fixed the free one myself, no big deal there.
    Some details how this was done would really be cool. Seems like it could settle a lot o tension in this thread. I would bet that replacing the wifi driver with the older version is now what the donor version installer does. Maybe i'm making it too simple. But if replacing a driver file AND being able to back it up myself seems like a great solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Some details how this was done would really be cool. Seems like it could settle a lot o tension in this thread. I would bet that replacing the wifi driver with the older version is now what the donor version installer does. Maybe i'm making it too simple. But if replacing a driver file AND being able to back it up myself seems like a great solution.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Niris777 View Post
    +1
    login into the phone over ssh/telnet remount root file system in rw
    and replace lib\modules\2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430\kernel\net\wifi\sd8xxx.ko with the one from webos 1.1, I'm sure that's what the paid version does.
    ok i'm abit sauced right now so bear with me. i have managed to get mytether to work via usb using webos version 1.2

here is a step by step on what i did.

1. I used a terminal application i downloaded before i upgraded to 1.2 (if you don't have one somehow ssh into your phone) to issue the this command that was on page 132 of this thread.

Code:
     sudo -i
    ipkg remove net.aonic.tether
    thanks jhoff80

2. issued a reboot command (or you can just turn off and on the phone)

Code:
    shutdown -r now
    3. I deleted the mytether application from the launcher using orange + tap on the icon

4. i went back into the terminal
    Code:
     sudo -i
    wget -qO- http://vz.aonic.net/pre/my.tether.install | /bin/sh
    thanks aonic

5a. for winxp i went into control panel -> network connections and right clicked and selected properties.
    i double-clicked the "internet protocol (tcp/ip)"
    i check "use the following settings"
    ip address: 192.168.0.12
    subnet mask: autofills
    default gateway: 192.168.0.202
    preferred dns server: 192.168.0.202

Clicked ok BOOM I'm writing this on my tether'd netbook via usb.

5b. for Ubuntu right-click on network manager (the 4 staggered bars on the top right)
    selected edit connections...
    under the wired tab, select auto usb0 and then click edit.
    enter your password
    click on ipv4 settings
    method: manual
    click add
    address: 192.168.0.12
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.0.202
    DNS Servers: 192.168.0.202
    click apply
    (This is theory since im on my winxp partition and didn't want to lose this post)

I tried to use the dhcp server with the mytether and it didn't seem to either turn on or work which is why i went towards this method.

I hope this helps anyone who is still having issues trying to tether via usb.

This may also work for people that are wanting to tether via wifi but i'm too drunk to try.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimr View Post
    login into the phone over ssh/telnet remount root file system in rw
    and replace lib\modules\2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430\kernel\net\wifi\sd8xxx.ko with the one from webos 1.1, I'm sure that's what the paid version does.
    Thanks!!

Worked like a charm. Was able to copy this file from webos 1.1 before updating to 1.2 using webos quick install's 'receive file' feature

Then updated to 1.2.

Then did the receive file again for the new version just to back it up. Used webos quick install v2.03 since it was reported working (sort of) with 1.2 update

Then used quick install send feature to send the old driver file. Must overwrite the new one automatically.

Seems to work. You know this means that next time around palm will go more drastic with the driver update. Nothing good can last forever.

Please don't let this stop you from donating if you were so inclined. The dev has done a great job here. No one can deny that.
    Last edited by cdjh; 09/29/2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    There is no free version. This is first and foremost a Wifi tethering app. Not everyone has bluetooth, USB doesn't work on macs or linux.

It is a fee, plain and simple.

jack87, did you even pay the $14.95 "donation"?
    most macs have Bluetooth dating back 7 years or so... usb works fine for linux and windows. and it is indeed free... the issues people might be having are due to user error. it is not just a wifi tethering app as a matter of fact started out as usb tether! well actually bluetooth then to usb tether. i created the original scripts for usb/bt aonic took it and evolved it even more and added adhoc tethering amazing work! now i dont know what you are b*tching about why not just not use the app all together if you have such a problem with it? i think that would be a good solution to your issues.

most people paid well over $30 dollars when donating without a minimum and the donor version was completely secret he didnt want people to dontate just to get the extra features... he wanted it to be his thank you. asked people not to talk about it.. but so many people donated and word got out. and penny donations to get the more featured version was just unfair to those who were donating 100 times that amount just to support.and in my opinion insulting to the dev. so the dev created a minimum. as i explained before many organisations give perks to donors.

for the record i did not donate 14.95 for the app. Now it doesn't matter how much i contributed i don't understand why you even ask such a question...

but ya like i said put your mind at ease and dont use it
    Last edited by jack87; 09/30/2009 at 02:12 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I don't use it, FYI.

I tried it a couple times, but it was a lot less useful than what I expected, and I found that most places I use my computer had wifi anyway. I was excited about tethering before I got my Pre because I wanted to use it with my netbook and the new iPod Touch. I found that most of what I was using my netbook for(email, reading blogs/websites) was more convenient to just do on the Pre itself, and I never bought the new iPod Touch because the more I thought about it it just seemed like a waste of money. I also wanted to use it with my Nintendo DS, but it wouldn't work at all with that so it is kinda moot.

"Now it doesn't matter how much i contributed i don't understand why you even ask such a question... "

I ask, and maybe you are not the best person to ask, because it used to be 10 and now it is 15. I think it is a bit disingenuous for someone who donated 10 to be telling everyone else that it is worth 15. Again, maybe not an issue in your case since you appear to have developed part of it.
    Just got this today to update my tivo where theres no internet or phone connection. Worked great.

Had to uninstall then reinstall and reset the phone but both wifi and usb tethering work perfect (using webos 1.2)

worth at the very least $15

Thanks for the best app around.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Thanks!!

Worked like a charm. Was able to copy this file from webos 1.1 before updating to 1.2 using webos quick install's 'receive file' feature

Then updated to 1.2.

Then did the receive file again for the new version just to back it up. Used webos quick install v2.03 since it was reported working (sort of) with 1.2 update

Then used quick install send feature to send the old driver file. Must overwrite the new one automatically.

Seems to work. You know this means that next time around palm will go more drastic with the driver update. Nothing good can last forever.

Please don't let this stop you from donating if you were so inclined. The dev has done a great job here. No one can deny that.
    Can anyone share sd8xxx.ko of webOS 1.1? I have updated webOS to 1.2 and can't find this file back. Thanks.
    just a note if you updated to webos 1.2 and reinstalled my tether 2.0.1 you will notice the " disable screen timer " no longer works under " options " causing you to time out and lose your conection. to correct this problem now just apply the "lcd" button next to the "options" button, this will disable the timer and screen giving you a timeless connection. to bring the screen back up just apply the power button twice.
    once you donate (pay for the app) how long does it take to get access to get 2.0.1
    Quote Originally Posted by james r View Post
    just a note if you updated to webos 1.2 and reinstalled my tether 2.0.1 you will notice the " disable screen timer " no longer works under " options " causing you to time out and lose your conection. to correct this problem now just apply the "lcd" button next to the "options" button, this will disable the timer and screen giving you a timeless connection. to bring the screen back up just apply the power button twice.
    2.0.2 is released fixed screen timer. Just run installer again to update
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Much thanks for your work and instructions on this! I was stranded at a hotel (which I thought provided free Wifi) and used this to get online and avoid paying!
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    once you donate (pay for the app) how long does it take to get access to get 2.0.1
    I received my username and password within 30 seconds over email. I think it is setup to be automatic.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaQ View Post
    Much thanks for your work and instructions on this! I was stranded at a hotel (which I thought provided free Wifi) and used this to get online and avoid paying!
    That's when I use it the most too! Also at airports...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    thanks jack87 ill do that
    Quote Originally Posted by TsuNaMi View Post
    Can anyone share sd8xxx.ko of webOS 1.1? I have updated webOS to 1.2 and can't find this file back. Thanks.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TsuNaMi View Post
    Yeah, aonic will if you pay for the donation version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, aonic will if you pay for the donation version.
    yuppers.... The donor version doest necessarily replace the driver by the way meaning there is no fear of any incompatibilities for webos 1.2 apps. which might rely on the new driver.
    MatterOfFactJack