Page 134 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3484124129130131132133134135136137138139144184 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 4339
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Guys i installed the my Tether app and i am trying to use the wi-fi tethering so that i can use the internet on my laptop while at home. can somebody pleaseeee let me knw wat i need to do to get this to work. thanks ahead of timeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by kshaat1107 View Post
    Guys i installed the my Tether app and i am trying to use the wi-fi tethering so that i can use the internet on my laptop while at home. can somebody pleaseeee let me knw wat i need to do to get this to work. thanks ahead of timeeee
    free version does not support wifi tethering anymore since 1.2 update... to tether via wifi you need to get the donor version My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router! . otherwise you can still tether via usb and bluetooth.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    i think the free version should be pulled all together any only have a donor version available.

My thoughts exactly he doesnt owe anyone a free tethering let alone a cheap 15 dollar tethering app that is superior to any other tethering i have ever seen on any other native or third party i have seen on any phone in the past.

Is it just me or did aonic get sick of this public forum filled with the whinny b*tching and stopped his generous support here... I cant blame him... people just couldnt leave a good thing alone.
    He only uses this forum to get free advertising for his app, but if you want any help from him you have to go to his special donor forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    He only uses this forum to get free advertising for his app, but if you want any help from him you have to go to his special donor forum.
    and that didnt used to be the case but like i said

sick of this public forum filled with the whinny b*tching and stopped his generous support here... I cant blame him... people just couldnt leave a good thing alone
    MatterOfFactJack
    Why is it called a donation if it's $14.95...? That's a fee and seems to be circumventing the system by calling it a donation. I was all prepared to "donate" $20 to the cause, but decided against it once I saw that the donation wasn't a donation at all. Kinda like when the waitress fills in her own tip!
    Do you have to pay for this app? YES --- In order to get a working version you do.

Is this app blocked behind some form of payment system? YES --- Blocked behind a donation (Purchase of APP)

Is the possibly unstable version that will either work wonderfully or screw things up on your phone blocked behind a donation system? NO --- Its blocked behind a REQUIRED PAYMENT AMOUNT - Thats not called a donation.

Do developers generally give preference to people that have contributed to their cause? Yes. --- I agree

It's the fact of life if you want bleeding edge unstable versions then donate. If you want a safe quality tested version then wait.
    More then willing to donate but forcing me to pay a exact amount is not really a donation.
    If there is a FREE version available, how is he FORCING you to pay? Are you upset the quality of the FREE version is not as good as the donated? Well too bad, life's hard, deal with it and move on. If you cant then you might as well give up already, life gets way more complicated then having to contemplate if you should or should not pay for a phone app.

IMO they don't make it a payment is to avoid other fee's, something like sales tax, etc?

Either way YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, and if you didn't fork out ANY cash...really...just shut up. People sound ignorant when they cry, ***** and moan about something that's given to them FREE.
    Last edited by h3artl3ss; 09/29/2009 at 03:40 PM.
    just because someone requests a minimum amount for a donation, doesn't mean that person is selling you something. I can imagine that Aonic would be more than happy to receive a donation more than the minimum he has posted.

there are several examples of organizations that give "thank you gifts" to people who give a set dollar amount. N.P.R. WUSB-FM N.Y. WBAI-FM N.Y. March of Dimes are just a few that have tiered donations schemes.

The reason why organizations strongly request a certain dollar amount is to encourage people to donate a large enough dollar amount for organizations to be able to properly function. you can't do much good if you only get people donating pennies. say for example, someone donates a dollar, the cost of processing alone of that donation would cost more than the donation itself.

I'm sorry that you can not get the free version to work out for you. Personally it's working for me, and yes i do have version 1.2 installed on my palm pre.

I'm currently tethering via Bluetooth on a winxp/ubuntu netbook. If you are having still issues with usb/wifi you may want to give bluetooth a try until either a. aonic releases a new free version or b. you manage to get your method of choice to work out for you.

it seems that some people have managed the free version to work with 1.2 hopefully someone soon will post a tutorial on how to get it to work again on 1.2.
    I already have mytether 2.0.1 so can i just update and it will continue to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by shimamaelstrom View Post
    I already have mytether 2.0.1 so can i just update and it will continue to work?
    from what i've read you should be able to re-run the installer and it should uninstall the old version and install the new version. if it doesn't work right away then reboot your phone, if that still doesn't work you may want to go to the donator's forums to see if they have any further guidance.
    haha ok im hoping it does cause im using my net right now so im sol if it doesnt work thats the only reason I need to know

can anyone verify ?

thankyou victorkruger for getting back to me
    Quote Originally Posted by victorkruger View Post
    Do you have to pay for this app? No.

Is this app blocked behind some form of payment system? No.
    If you want something that works, yes, it is.

I don't mind paying for something like this, but if I'm going to put money forth, I want it to be a "purchase", not marked as a donation where the developer does not need to provide anything in return for my money.
    If its a purchase then I think developers would need to set up some type of business account, because labeling it a purchase makes it a business transaction. And who really wants to deal with all that? But honestly he does provide you for your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by h3artl3ss View Post
    If its a purchase then I think developers would need to set up some type of business account, because labeling it a purchase makes it a business transaction. And who really wants to deal with all that? But honestly he does provide you for your money.
    actually either a business or a charitable organization is a mess to set up a paypal link. There is no easy way with paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    If you want something that works, yes, it is.

I don't mind paying for something like this, but if I'm going to put money forth, I want it to be a "purchase", not marked as a donation where the developer does not need to provide anything in return for my money.
    Like I've said in a previous post i am currently using the free version and it's working in 1.2 I am currently using the bluetooth method. If you read acouple pages back it appears that people are having to do some installing and uninstalling to get the free version to work (usb method).

If Aonic was closing up the free version wouldn't he have edited his first post stating as such?

This is the "cost" of using the free version. updates will come slower than for the donation version.

If you really need tethering right now, then there are methods of downgrading your phone to 1.1 and then use the tethering program.
    Last edited by victorkruger; 09/29/2009 at 05:03 PM.
    Un-installed and re-installed with out a hitch and working fine. Yes I spent 10.00 whole dollars and am very happy.
    There is an entire private donor forum for support for the donation version as well as support for the free version at mytether.net. He indeed does have to pay taxes 40-60% that is! counts as income. the fact is this app is not official in any way and is against palm/sprint so making it into some sort of official paid app might become more difficult if palm/sprint cut the plug on it and all the people purchased it get ****ed off now dont you think... as for a donation minimum as mentioned earlier it actually makes his efforts worth it.

i mean if you ever go through costco and they ask for donations you get a balloon with you name on it... donate 20+ you get a mini soccer ball donate in the hundreds they will have a banner in their store for advertising for your buisness... look at PBS ... you get awards for your donations when you donate to PBS stations. and they all have a minimum donation requirement. it is completely optional to donate considering there is a free version. Besides considering this is probably one of the most wanted and highly useful apps for the web os platform and it will never get into the app catalog.. it is only fair he makes something for his efforts.

as for mytether and 1.2

Aonic and I used the leaked 1.2 to find a solution and has been applied to the donor version of the application. for those who already have it installed just run your tether installer file again and it will update the service to work with webos 1.2.

as for free version usb tethering and bluetooth tether still work flawlessly (mac users using free version of mytehter only have the bluetooth option)
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    There is no free version. This is first and foremost a Wifi tethering app. Not everyone has bluetooth, USB doesn't work on macs or linux.

It is a fee, plain and simple.

jack87, did you even pay the $14.95 "donation"?
    edit: just fixed the free one myself, no big deal there.
    Last edited by vadimr; 09/29/2009 at 06:48 PM.
    @drizek
    I dont get what you mean by no free version available? I just rechecked the first post and its still installing the application just fine. USB and Bluetooth are BOTH working under Ubuntu 9.04(although USB required a OS driver which is in the repo) i have no issues tethering under Windows at all. I used the free version for a while but wanted something SUPPORTED and actively being developed. regardless of how you look at things, the free version works just fine for many people. some people may have problems getting the free version working right at first but that is another plus to the donor version...actual support. Wifi tethering is an added plus to devices that support Ad-hoc like most android phones, Iphones, and now the PRE but from all my prior experience it has been done with bluetooth or USB cable...since THAT much works for many people here means he indeed offers a free version, end of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimr View Post
    edit: just fixed the free one myself, no big deal there.
    how did you do that