Page 13 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363113 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    help please, first smart phone so not sure on all the lingo how do you root something to your phone. Ive been able to install other homebrew apps via instructions post 1.04 sdk not sure what rooting is. I installed the tether app and tried to sdk the shell like everyone else. Also is the shell part that i installed on my phone with no app and if so is there a way to delete it. I read there is no icon for this. Again sorry for lack of smartphone knowledge but i learn quick
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    help please, first smart phone so not sure on all the lingo how do you root something to your phone. Ive been able to install other homebrew apps via instructions post 1.04 sdk not sure what rooting is. I installed the tether app and tried to sdk the shell like everyone else. Also is the shell part that i installed on my phone with no app and if so is there a way to delete it. I read there is no icon for this. Again sorry for lack of smartphone knowledge but i learn quick
    Instructions for rooting your pre can be found here: pre dev wiki: Using Novaproxy to Gain Root Access

It's a very straight forward process. Just follow the instructions.
    I'm also wondering the same thing....can you just use the sdk method of install for this app or do you have to use the rooting method of installation???
    Quote Originally Posted by skilled44 View Post
    I'm also wondering the same thing....can you just use the sdk method of install for this app or do you have to use the rooting method of installation???
    You must use the rooting method to install the webinternals part. The my tether app itself can be installed through the sdk method.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarchant View Post
    Instructions for rooting your pre can be found here: pre dev wiki: Using Novaproxy to Gain Root Access

It's a very straight forward process. Just follow the instructions.
    on the python website i can only find 3.1 i cant seem to find 2.6
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    sorry found it in the search
    This works great, thank you.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    i got to the page that is black and says root@castle:/# do i just copy and paste from the first page to root this in
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    i got to the page that is black and says root@castle:/# do i just copy and paste from the first page to root this in
    Yes copy and paste the commands.

I would suggest you to read the basic linux use page before you continue you seem very unfamiliar with it .. So just take a second a read that and do some google search to learn a little about it , so you dont brick you phone.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Yes copy and paste the commands.

I would suggest you to read the basic linux use page before you continue you seem very unfamiliar with it .. So just take a second a read that and do some google search to learn a little about it , so you dont brick you phone.
    yes i was reading this, im guessing brick my phone is bad. After i did the rooting part i clicked on the next link

this is what it said i should do is this something i need to do

Next Steps: Enable the Optware Package Feed
    Enable Root Access » Next Steps: Enable the Optware Package Feed
    After you have gained initial root access to the Pre, you will want to install a secure access mechanism for use in the future. There are several steps you should take immediately:

•Install the Optware package manager so that you can install software onto the Pre. The Optware package feed gives access to over 1300 prebuilt command-line packages for the Pre, and does so without causing conflicts with the built-in Palm package manager.
    •Create a new username and password so that you don't need to connect to the Pre as root. This provides an extra layer of security for your Pre. Our secure access mechanism by default does not allow direct root password login (however you can log in as root using secure ssh access keys).
    •Configure a secure firewall so that your Pre is not open to everyone in the universe, but can still be accessed securely by you. If you do not secure the network, your device will be accessible by anyone on the internet until it is rebooted.
    Very nice application! worked like a charm. I also had to disable automatic metric like was suggested as i was getting page cannot be displayed before doing so even though the connection was working. its also a little bit of a problem that their is no security on the wifi connection but its completely usable in its current state otherwise. i'll be donating after i get back to the store later.

Thanks alot for your efforts!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    yes i was reading this, im guessing brick my phone is bad. After i did the rooting part i clicked on the next link

this is what it said i should do is this something i need to do

Next Steps: Enable the Optware Package Feed
    Enable Root Access » Next Steps: Enable the Optware Package Feed
    After you have gained initial root access to the Pre, you will want to install a secure access mechanism for use in the future. There are several steps you should take immediately....
    Yes u should take those steps 1st before you attempt to install this app.
  13.    #253  
    You dont need to do all those steps, if you have the prompt open, just copy and paste my instructions and it will be fine
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkquito View Post
    Yes u should take those steps 1st before you attempt to install this app.
    ok i think ill just leave it alone thanks for the help. But im curious when u are rooting do you have to tipe in the :w to save it to make it permanent
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    and do i need to delete the python from my computer or should i save it incase i ever figure out (or have the cahones) to try and root things myself
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    You dont need to do all those steps, if you have the prompt open, just copy and paste my instructions and it will be fine
    and what about to make the shell icon visible just copy and paste it
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Excellent. Program works perfectly. I will definately be sending you some $$$ via paypal as soon as i get moved and get some income coming back in.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Thanks. The App works great!!
    and what about to make the shell icon visible just copy and paste it
    Srsly dude, as much as Im for helping everyone with the issues - rooting your pre and getting everything set up is NOT for the faint of heart...and definitely not for people who cant read...

Sit down, take the time to do all of the steps, and LEARN about your pre - the insides and out, the bit of linux code youll need to learn is FAR less than some of the distro's out there. Youll need to understand WHY youre putting in this code, rather than copy and pasting blindly. Thats how youll end up bricking (making your phone useless - ie, like a brick) this wonderful piece of technology.

Go to the wiki, and READ. READ READ and then READ some more.

If after youve read those pages inside and out and you STILL have a question, ask in the appropriate board.

This thread is not the place to be asking how to root your pre, and whats required. Like I said, Im not FLAMING you, but you need to ask in the appropriate places and do some reading before you make 3 posts in a row about how to do something that isnt what this particular thread is about.

On the other hand - this app is GREAT. Freakin' brilliant. The only thing I want out of it now is a security for the wifi - cant have people stealing my free internet
  20. TFT
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    When the screen goes black on the phone does the WiFi tether stop?