Page 124 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2474114119120121122123124125126127128129134174 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 4339
    Aonic-

Can you check your PM's? Donated a week ago and still waiting for a download link...

netfreedom
    I know for a fact this question is on here, cant find it...i have a new pre and redownloaded the donate version on it. Was working on my old pre but my pc will not pick up the ad-hoc from wifi...what am i forgetting?

reinstalled the driver...it works now...
    Last edited by holley2583; 09/11/2009 at 08:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    ... your phone it self does not have a data limit.. it is indeed unlimited... and tethering in ways that sprint cant detect it than you have unlimited data... just dont be a moron and over do it. ...

few have already been contacted by sprint and their data plan suspended.
    Jack is both right and wrong here:
    Right) about not abusing and you should be fine.
    Wrong) about Sprint not being able to detect if you don't abuse it.

Reality:
    Sprint can packet sniff your traffic using a program like "Snort" running on their servers. They should also be able to detect NAT from your Pre to another device. This sort of traffic analysis requires computing resources at Sprint, so if you stay below some unwritten threshold, Sprint won't have a business justification (vs the cost of computing power to detect you instead of some more flagrant violator). This threshold is likely to be "dynamic" (meaning they will run traffic analysis on users with highest bandwidth usage first and eventually work their way down to lower bandwidth users). There will always be new new morons entering the mix to chew up bandwidth, so the combination of some economic ROI and the fact that "there is always someone dumber than you" will keep the threshold at a reasonably high value.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netfreedom View Post
    Aonic-

Can you check your PM's? Donated a week ago and still waiting for a download link...

netfreedom
    They need to update the page so it says purchase instead of donation. She's being held hostage!
    Does anyone know if sprint will fine you and discontinue your account for doing this?
    Nevermind...I should of read the other messages....lol
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Heh, for sh--- and giggles, I just connected my linksys router running dd-wrt in client bridge mode to my wireless tethered Pre. In fact I am posting using this method.

so now I could **** sprint off and connect all the PCs in my home to the router and share the Palm Pre's internet. HA!!

...and yes, I would be one of those morons chewing up bandwidth! LOL
    Nice, good stuff man
    Why is it important to have Wifi as opposed to usb or bluetooth? I use usb to keep my Pre charged. Wouldn't I have to have a Wifi connection to use over Wifi? If I have a Wifi connection, why wouldn't I just hook my laptop up to the available Wifi?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Why is it important to have Wifi as opposed to usb or bluetooth? I use usb to keep my Pre charged. Wouldn't I have to have a Wifi connection to use over Wifi? If I have a Wifi connection, why wouldn't I just hook my laptop up to the available Wifi?
    The reason is... Say you are in your car on a road trip and you have a couple friends with you who want to surf the internet on their laptops because they are bored. There is no wifi connection available BUT they could connect via a wifi link through your phone. Conversely I believe bluetooth works only for a single connection (and it might be slower too)
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMayo View Post
    The reason is... Say you are in your car on a road trip and you have a couple friends with you who want to surf the internet on their laptops because they are bored. There is no wifi connection available BUT they could connect via a wifi link through your phone. Conversely I believe bluetooth works only for a single connection (and it might be slower too)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMayo View Post
    I was wondering if that was the case. So when it says over Wifi, it doesn't mean that there has to be Wifi available? I'll have to check this aspect out and give it a whirl. Do you still have to have usb drivers installed on all of the laptops to use this aspect?
    I was wondering if that was the case. So when it says over Wifi, it doesn't mean that there has to be Wifi available? I'll have to check this aspect out and give it a whirl. Do you still have to have usb drivers installed on all of the laptops to use this aspect?
    just like a normal router or wifi hotspot......thats how the wifi in the pre works....if u turn on wifi tethering....you'll have a hot spot where ever u r with ur pre and can connect 1+ users...unlike blue and usb its just u
    The paypal email address linked to my account is not active/valid. Is there another way we can do this perhaps?
    You are looking at the wifi from the wrong side of the connection. It is for accepting incoming wifi connections, not outgoing. When you use the tether through wifi, you have to turn off your regular wifi (what you connect to you home network or starbucks wifi hotspot.), and your phone becomes that wifi host.
    Irish
    Sorry if this has been asked before but this thread is so long I didn't bother reading.

Using USB tethering through MyTether 1.5, after around 2 minutes the connection drops, causing me to have to restart both my pc/laptop and phone to get it to work again, but only for another 2 minutes. Doing a little research made me assume that when the screen locks it cuts the connection off. Is this the case? I have modded my phone to have my screen never turn off, and this has solved the problem.

So with the screen always on, tethering works just fine no problems whatsoever. Only issue with this (for me at least) is I'd rather not have my screen on all the time.

Is there any way to get around this while having my screen off?

Great work with the app!
    Can I download this via the WebOS Quick Install? I didn't see the app in the homebrew store. Thanks for all your help!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Besides good reasons given above by others, my old laptop is running
    XP sp2 and thus will not run usbnet drivers, and it doesn't have bluetooth
    at all. With WiFi I don't have to install anything on any given machine
    I want to use tethering with.

Quote Originally Posted by TMan459
    So with the screen always on, tethering works just fine no problems whatsoever. Only issue with this (for me at least) is I'd rather not have my screen on all the time.

Is there any way to get around this while having my screen off?
    "Donate"

ian
    Is anybody else's my tether staying on even after you turn it off? When I went to sign on to a wireless network from my laptop I seen the aonet on even with it off. I think that this could be causing my quick battery drain.
    Last edited by corleone401; 09/14/2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corleone401 View Post
    Is anybody else's my tether staying on even after you turn it off? When I went to sign on to a wireless network from my laptop I seen the aonet on even with it off. I think that this could be causing the my quick battery drain.
    I think it's a windows wifi problem not a Tether problem. It's caching
    information about networks it has seen recently. It works the other
    way sometimes too. I'll refresh the network list several times and
    not see the My Tether network. I tried in on a couple netbooks at Best
    Buy recently, and noticed that their list of networks could
    change dramatically from refresh to refresh, or get stuck showing
    one thing for a long time.

ian