Page 121 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2171111116117118119120121122123124125126131171 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 4339
    Of course you'll no doubt pay an arm and a leg for data usage with Bell, or at least that's the impression I have of Canadian wireless providers.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetreoguys View Post
    There is a patch to shut that off..
    Ya I will probably shut it off too until MyTeather works with 1.2
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Hi all.

Can someone help me figure this out?

I am tethering by USB from my laptop. I followed the instructions and it works great... For a while.

What happens is that after some random amount of time (might be 5 minutes, might be 45), the connection just dies and won't come back. In order to get it to work again I have to reboot my laptop, at which point the Linux ethernet/rndis gadget under network adapters has the yellow exclamation point and I have to tell it to use the usbnet-pre.inf driver all over again. Then I disable palm novacom and everything works again, for a while.

I don't think the pre is losing signal, because it is always showing EV in the bar when it goes down and it always comes back when I do the above.

Thoughts?

Thanks much.
    on vista home premium 32 bit.
    can any one PLEASE give me ALL the stages, including of what do i need installed on my laptop (ex: sdk? virtual box?)
    i rooted my pre, and got this to work over bluetooth but its too slow.
    please help me to make it work via usb.
    thank you
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Nice to know. Does the patch require root?
    Quote Originally Posted by markgowen View Post
    this is what it says when WiFi Tethering:

Enabling WiFi Tethering...

Enabling Ad-Hoc WiFi

Network: AoNet

Tethering ON

However I cannot connect
    It might depends on your exact OS and chipset. My EEE running EEEbuntu loves the Pre Wifi. But my Sony under Mandriva hates it- it will show the AoNet but cannot connect to it no matter what.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    It might depends on your exact OS and chipset. My EEE running EEEbuntu loves the Pre Wifi. But my Sony under Mandriva hates it- it will show the AoNet but cannot connect to it no matter what.
    mine doesnt even show it, and i have no way to set one up
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney101 View Post
    But what if they stop the wifi function. OMG lets hope not, this is one of those things that make the phone such a slap in the face for the iphone.
    Does nobody read previous posts first?

They *did* disable the wifi function with 1.2. It was confirmed by several people so far, from what I have read in several threads. It is supposedly blocked/changed at the DRIVER LEVEL, probably blocking adhoc completely. If this is what happened, it will be EXTREMELY difficult to restore.

And unfortunately, that is probably the end of useful tethering for me.
    where is information on this patch I'm not having any luck with a search?
    Quote Originally Posted by markgowen View Post
    mine doesnt even show it, and i have no way to set one up
    Some systems will not list/show adhoc mode networks at all. 99.9% of the time, people want to connect to a managed mode network, like a Linksys. All access points are used in managed mode.
    OK, I have MYTether installed but never used it yet. Just never found the time. Or real need yet. I did make my donation just to support the developer.

But now that the new WebOS is coming out, I have tried to read as much back messages as I thought necessary to find the answer but I could not.

So my question: Should we UNINSTALL MyTether, whatever version we are using before the update?

And from what I read, it's going to break (a permanent break) anyway, so I guess I just answered my question.

Thanks Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

you do not need to remove mytether for 1.2 it will not hurt the update. it is not changing any system files so there is no risk of bricking pre.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Some systems will not list/show adhoc mode networks at all. 99.9% of the time, people want to connect to a managed mode network, like a Linksys. All access points are used in managed mode.
    so what do i do
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Nice to know. Does the patch require root?
    yes...

Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

I accessed Linux (rooted) and did it today... will post back if it works!!

BTW... thanks thetreoguys for bringin this to my attention. it was the final straw that forced me to stop putting off learning to access Linux on the Pre, and Just Do It!!
    Last edited by superduperpre; 09/08/2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    yes...

I accessed Linux (rooted) and did it today... will post back if it works!!

BTW... thanks thetreoguys for bringin this to my attention. it was the final straw that forced me to stop putting off learning to access Linux on the Pre, and Just Do It!!
    Hmmm how do you get it back on after you turn it off?
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney101 View Post
    Hmmm how do you get it back on after you turn it off?

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

turns it off, but from what I understand...

chmod +x UpdateDaemon

... turns it back on.

See this thread

thanks jhoff80!!
    the original version of my tether required you to install internal's usbnet onto the pre to work with the mytether program. Does that need to be removed for the 1.2 update?
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    no $%^&ing way I am going to 1.2 to gain some crappy eye-candy features if it costs me the ability to tether!

Im not a biblical dude at all, but this applies nicely: For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?

No Word Doc editing, No Blue Tooth Push (OBEX), No direct PDF in browser abilities, NOTHING that actuially benefits the world of business or research. A bunch of crappy superficial "features" rushed out just to make Palm falsely look responsive and to do away with tethering.

The only halfway decent thing in 1.2 is the enhanced copy and paste, and that still didn't look fully refined. None of that crap is worth losing MyTether or my Tweaks. NO WAY.

You are mistaken "No direct PDF in browser abilities," is now available with 1.2. Along with many browser enhancements and additions. Such as being able to download files in the browser now.

You may also still tether it only breaks the WiFi mode, and almost if not ALL Tether type setups are directly wired or bluetooth. You rarely see a WiFi mode, infact the instinct used USB and Bluetooth Tething. WiFi was a added gift. If anything this could have been blocked for security reasons rather then killing tethering. Otherwise the hole thing would have died. All these applications and programming are publicly available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    You may also still tether it only breaks the WiFi mode, and almost if not ALL Tether type setups are directly wired or bluetooth. You rarely see a WiFi mode, infact the instinct used USB and Bluetooth Tething. WiFi was a added gift. If anything this could have been blocked for security reasons rather then killing tethering. Otherwise the hole thing would have died. All these applications and programming are publicly available.
    Sorry, that's not correct. Many people, including me, ONLY use the WiFi mode to tether. On some Macs, for example, the USB mode doesn't work.
    I also use the WiFi method. I couldn't get the USB method to work. I haven't tried bluetooth as of yet.