Page 119 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1969109114115116117118119120121122123124129169 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Well, Palm could easily decide to only target certain applications on devices from certain carriers.

Remember that tethering is not a problem for most GSM carriers that don't have unlimited data plans - they love tethering because it increases revenue.

So when an unlocked-out-of-the-box rest-of-world GSM Pre comes out with tethering enabled by default (just like they did with DUN on the Treo 650's), Palm can easily be very selective with applying the hinted-at remote application removal functionality on certain apps for certain carriers only.

-- Rod
    the thing is... everyone can edit the app.. remake it rename it each individual person put attempts to hide their tethering app. so thats no big deal they cant kill actual apps considering how easily we can remask them.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I know this has been asked, (maybe you can put this answer on the first page). Do I have to uninstall this before updating the webOs?
    works great... thanks
    Yesturday i did a quick study on my palm pre on a lunch break at the apple store. and i came to one conclusion sprint has a far superior data network over att. or maybe i came to the conclusion that the i phone 3gs is slow. either way heres what i did.

Thanks to MY tether. i pissed some apple employees off . by first asking if i could play with 3, 3gs, they sad " sure " with glee. then followed me to the table where 3 were running on the apple stores wifi. that told me something right there. they aint to happy bout the data from att. so i asked if i could check a website on one on 3g. network. so one guy helped and the other just watched. he went to 3g and showed me the icon at the top and then i said go to moblespeedtest.com. and click the link onthe top for a 512 megabite test. he did it and got 266kb/sec. he said " that was quick" and i said well it was half a megabyte. so i had already ran one on the wifi connection. and it scored 4.5mb/sec and i said wow wifi makes a hell of a difference. he agreed. and then they started to talk about the 3gs and how dope it was. so i pulled out my pre. they stoped talking and then showed them how it worked . they liked it, so i showed them the my tether app that was made home brew style and also explained how easy homebrew came to us and how filecoaster was homebrew and installed it all on the fly and they were like dumbfounded . so then i pulled my thether back in the scene. after closing the 5 apps i had running . they were obviously getting mad when i attracted a couple of their customers. i had a croud so i started talking louder. i wanted them to hear how cool my phone was. anyway im running wifi. and named it palmpre. and picked up a third 3gs. then searched and found my palmpre. they couldnt believe i could run as a router. and i told them " ok so if i go to the same site and run the test what should i get? they both said lower than 266k. so i went to the site. i got 1.7mb/sec. they were pisssed. and the customers saw there faces. i then proceded to explain that all i did was apply the sprint data connection (3G) to the i phone and beat the pants 5 or more times over the 3g att network on which the iphone relies. so just to put the final blow in i turned it all off and went to the site and ran it directly on my pre. and got 2.12mb/sec on my on phone and then said "do you understand that i just got half your wifi speed? on my phone just by using Sprint 3G, and then broadcasted it to your phone Homebrew Style, and then confirmed it . right infront of you?" they had nothing , speechless. they just stormed off and went into the back. That was problably my most Bad assed Moment ever. then i showed the customers my score.and they left with me. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by silversentra1999 View Post
    Yesturday i did a quick study on my palm pre on a lunch break at the apple store. and i came to one conclusion sprint has a far superior data network over att. or maybe i came to the conclusion that the i phone 3gs is slow. either way heres what i did.

Thanks to MY tether. i pissed some apple employees off . by first asking if i could play with 3, 3gs, they sad " sure " with glee. then followed me to the table where 3 were running on the apple stores wifi. that told me something right there. they aint to happy bout the data from att. so i asked if i could check a website on one on 3g. network. so one guy helped and the other just watched. he went to 3g and showed me the icon at the top and then i said go to moblespeedtest.com. and click the link onthe top for a 512 megabite test. he did it and got 266kb/sec. he said " that was quick" and i said well it was half a megabyte. so i had already ran one on the wifi connection. and it scored 4.5mb/sec and i said wow wifi makes a hell of a difference. he agreed. and then they started to talk about the 3gs and how dope it was. so i pulled out my pre. they stoped talking and then showed them how it worked . they liked it, so i showed them the my tether app that was made home brew style and also explained how easy homebrew came to us and how filecoaster was homebrew and installed it all on the fly and they were like dumbfounded . so then i pulled my thether back in the scene. after closing the 5 apps i had running . they were obviously getting mad when i attracted a couple of their customers. i had a croud so i started talking louder. i wanted them to hear how cool my phone was. anyway im running wifi. and named it palmpre. and picked up a third 3gs. then searched and found my palmpre. they couldnt believe i could run as a router. and i told them " ok so if i go to the same site and run the test what should i get? they both said lower than 266k. so i went to the site. i got 1.7mb/sec. they were pisssed. and the customers saw there faces. i then proceded to explain that all i did was apply the sprint data connection (3G) to the i phone and beat the pants 5 or more times over the 3g att network on which the iphone relies. so just to put the final blow in i turned it all off and went to the site and ran it directly on my pre. and got 2.12mb/sec on my on phone and then said "do you understand that i just got half your wifi speed? on my phone just by using Sprint 3G, and then broadcasted it to your phone Homebrew Style, and then confirmed it . right infront of you?" they had nothing , speechless. they just stormed off and went into the back. That was problably my most Bad assed Moment ever. then i showed the customers my score.and they left with me. LOL
    nice...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    please help when i switch wifi tethering on it says enabling: wifi enabling: ad-hoc network: AoNet tethering on but it never goes past this
    Hi,
    is the IPK file for v1.5 posted / available via link ?

And may we still install it with the SDK palm-install command alone and not use root ?

tx!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEBEE View Post
    I have my tether on the phone. How do I get my lap top to connect to internet through the usb cord. The phone is on charge only, and it says usb tethering is enabled. So how do I setup the PC to use internet. im useing windows xp
    did u get help with this i need help with this too
    only supported working way to install 1.5 is via root using the one liner command on the OP which basically runs a script to run all the other root commands needed for you. No ipk is posted. jason created his own ipk i have not used it. you can speak to him. there have been reports of it working for some and not for others.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    But can't tether and use Web on pre.
    Aonic - works like charm. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney101 View Post
    Kill switch? Well let me tell ya, if they kill this one they can kiss goodbye my purchase and recommendation of any palm product EVER! I doubt they will do it though. They have to have enough common sense to realize that apps like this are what drives the phones appeal. If they start killing apps that are homemade then they will lose their customers faster than they could ever gain them back. They made a very open phone it would be very unwise to start closing it up.
    With all the bad press Amazon got from removing 1984 from people's Kindle, I highly doubt Sprint and Palm are dumb enough to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mypreapps View Post
    Hi,
    is the IPK file for v1.5 posted / available via link ?

And may we still install it with the SDK palm-install command alone and not use root ?

tx!
    If you want to install 1.5 with the ipk I posted, it requires either Preware or WebOS Quick Install. The palm-install command, FileCoaster, and PreLoad will not work as they don't support these kind of advanced ipks

Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    With all the bad press Amazon got from removing 1984 from people's Kindle, I highly doubt Sprint and Palm are dumb enough to use it.
    Exactly, and if Palm wanted to shut down MyTether, they would've done so already.
    Installed using preware without rooting. No problems.

Thanks!!

Oh and this was on windows 7 64bit.
    does this work on the new 1.2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nshave8881 View Post
    I'm probably an ***** here, but i just can't seem to get the wifi to work. I'm connected via usb, buy as soon as i try to go wifi, i just get limited connectivity. Local connection only. No web pages or anything.

I've look at every post ever written about this i think I have to be missing something simple, i just don't know what it is. I actually had wifi going for about 30 seconds, but it immediately went back to limited connectivity. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
    If you can go to network places and find your phone but it has no internet connection I suggest do the following, its what worked for me. I did not have to get the driver spoken about though I skipped right to step 4 and set up my ip addy, gateway and when I got to dns servers I just copied the numbers from my home network adapter properties.

1.Download the driver here: usbnet-pre windows driver(32 bit) or usbnet-pre windows driver(64 bit) and save the file to disk as usbnet-pre.inf

2.Plug the Pre into your computer. The Add New Hardware Wizard should come up, asking to install an ethernet gadget.

3.Follow detailed instructions (screenshots and all) here if you are unfamiliar with installing drivers: Windows XP USBnet install

4.When you finish, you should have a network setup. Goto "Network Connections" via Network Places or the Control Panel

5.If you have previously installed Novacom on this machine, bring up Windows Task Manager before proceeding. You may discover a conflict between USBnet and novacomd where the novacomd process will consume lots of CPU and your machine will become very unresponsive. Since you have Task Manager up already, you can easily use it to kill novacomd if this occurs.

6.Right-click on the new network, which probably be named Local Area Connection 2

7.Select Properties

8.Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    in windows 7 this is also name IPv4 or IPv6.....I changed IPv4

9.Click Advanced

10.UNCheck Automatic metric, put 100 in its place. This will keep Windows from attempting to route traffic over the Pre (it won't work anyway)
    11.Click OK

12.If you did not enable DHCP, you will need to set an IP address manually:
    # Set your IP address as 192.168.0.203 ( could be anything except 192.168.0.202, assuming this is the Pre's address)
    # Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    # Default Gateway: 192.168.0.202 (your Pre's address for the usb0 interface)
    # Set DNS to your preferred servers. Addresses are not currently resolving for me, regardless of the server I use

1.Hit OK
    The network should now be setup. To verify, ssh to 192.168.0.202, and you should be prompted for a login.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Exactly, and if Palm wanted to shut down MyTether, they would've done so already.
    But what if they stop the wifi function. OMG lets hope not, this is one of those things that make the phone such a slap in the face for the iphone.
    Quick question, My Tether should or should not be uninstalled before updating to 1.2? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Could Aonic state this in the first post so that people won't have to ask all the time. Just a suggestion.
    Just a quick question... This is a great app. I installed the free v1.5 and got it working in no time. But after skimming thru the 119 pages of this topic, do I understand correctly that if I make a donation, there is a newer version of my Tether for donation users only? And that the new version installs easily without Rooting - IE using WebOS Quick Install... Or is that over-simplifying it?
    Quote Originally Posted by long_tall_texan View Post
    Just a quick question... This is a great app. I installed the free v1.5 and got it working in no time. But after skimming thru the 119 pages of this topic, do I understand correctly that if I make a donation, there is a newer version of my Tether for donation users only? And that the new version installs easily without Rooting - IE using WebOS Quick Install... Or is that over-simplifying it?
    its a lot easier than webos quick install. if you have the sdk or the novacom driver installed than all you do is run a simple exe it does it all. dont get me wrong webos quick install is really easy for a number of apps. but aonic installer is super easy for his app.
    MatterOfFactJack