Page 116 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1666106111112113114115116117118119120121126166216 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 4339
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hey all,

I had a couple of questions...

I installed MyTether 1.5 via QuickInstall, got tethering to work fine via USB. But using Wifi, my laptop finds the adhoc network and connects but then the connection drops after a minute or two. Is this because my Pre screen shuts off?

Second question - I didn't notice any options to secure the Wifi network. Is that a feature only available in the donor version?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkolodz1 View Post
    So . . . .
    Can't find this searching.
    If you get the donor version do you still need to root your Pre
    No. If you get the donor version all you need to do is put your phone in developer mode, which takes about 2 minutes, and use the installer program. It does all the work. Piece of cake.
    Twice now I have had luna restart after throwing the My tether card off screen before it has completly shut the wifi network off.
    Can anyone confirm, that by closing the app before the network has shutdown it will reboot luna?

Not that its a bug or anything, but it was literally two of 3 times my Pre has ever rebooted on its "own" and I'd like to know what caused it...
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 09/02/2009 at 07:19 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkolodz1 View Post
    So . . . .
    Can't find this searching.
    If you get the donor version do you still need to root your Pre
    Jason Robitaille made an installer for MyTether 1.5 that works with WebOS QuickInstall. Check page 106 in this thread, you'll find a link to the installer. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pillzbury View Post
    Hey all,

I had a couple of questions...

I installed MyTether 1.5 via QuickInstall, got tethering to work fine via USB. But using Wifi, my laptop finds the adhoc network and connects but then the connection drops after a minute or two. Is this because my Pre screen shuts off?

Second question - I didn't notice any options to secure the Wifi network. Is that a feature only available in the donor version?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Need to turn off screen lock, paid version does it but I am not sure about free version as I have not used it.

Paid version does allow WEP. I have been traveling more than usual and now that I have my Pre with Mytether, I have a wifi network in all the airports I use . Well worth the $10.00
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    I have successfully installed my tether, the Donor version, and have gotten USB tethering to work and BT tethering to work. However, I can not seem to get WIFI tethering to work. THe SSID is not brocasted therefore I cannot see the network to connect it. I tried manually adding the profile on my laptop to try and connect. Noting

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from root..still not wirking

The app always says that WIFI tether is on but I can never see the SSID. I have tried with two different laptops. Same thing NO wifi.

Just so you know what I have done with my pre in case it is relevant
    -Rooted
    -established user name and password
    -installed sftp
    -install ipkg-opt

manual tweak (carrier string hack)
    manual tweak (addition to autocorrect)
    manual tweak (addition of emoticons in symbols)

-installed quilt
    -applied these patches
    /opt/src/patches/contacttone.patch
    /opt/src/patches/message-tone-sounds-and-alerts.patch
    /opt/src/patches/contact-multitone.patch
    /opt/src/patches/message-forwarding.patch
    /opt/src/patches/capture_with_volume_keys.patch
    /opt/src/patches/messaging-timestamps.patch
    /opt/src/patches/messaging-enter-newline.patch
    /opt/src/patches/radiopower.patch
    /opt/src/patches/state.patch
    /opt/src/patches/readalldelall.patch

Tewaks installed in WebOsInstaller
    Add/delete to launcher
    hide nascar
    hide nfl
    PDF view
    Email in landscpe
    Messaging landscape and avatar
    call duration in call log
    reduce min brightness
    download in web browser
    roam only option in preferences
    change boot logo
    change dialer background
    add stylish analog clock
    squarify screen
    change launcher opacity
    batter % in top header

I think that I i got the above items to work tha I should be able to get WiFI tethering to work.

I have done the ususl install MyTether ..reboot...uninstall...reboot....install reboot

Everything works except for WIFI tethering..........

Anyone know what is going on?
    I have not gone through as much as you have, but I have installed and uninstalled a couple times through Preware, I'm basically in the same boat though. I can tether via bluetooth and I would assume USB would work if I tried it, but not matter what I do I can never see AoNet show up as an option to connect to. If I try to manually connect it doesn't work either. I guess I will go with bluetooth unless someone knows why wifi doesn't work.

Update: This is really weird, I did nothing new but just refreshed my laptop one more time and it finally came up, I don't know what the problem was but as I have it as a saved connection hopefully I'll be able to get it back in the future. Good luck.
    Last edited by rich_halvorson; 09/02/2009 at 10:27 PM.
    just got it installed on my Dell Mini 10v running Windows 7 - here's the results:

I'm a newbe and trying to figure this out. I want to use wifi or usb, do i have to root my pre, if so how do I do that. i installed my tether but cant get it to work. When I plug in the pre it does not ask to install new dev. What do I do on the PC running Vista to see the pre as a wifi. Somewhat lost when things are left out that are assumed by some. Can anyone help? Thanks Bob
    it is stuck on conecting and thats it
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    About the "dangerous location" rumors floating around in here, this is untrue. I had a discussion with Jason over AIM about this.

You see, non-official apps are installed in the Pre under /var, this is done by doing ipkg -o /var install {app.ipk}, but services are required to be installed in the root filesystem, which is done by doing ipkg install {service.ipk}. Jason has experimented with installing the services to /var, and then symlinking to the normal paths under the root filesystem, but he said that did not work out.

To get a list of applications installed using ipkg, you can do ipkg -o /var list, or ipkg list, the first one will give you all non-official apps on your Pre, and the second gives all official apps, as well as services installed the normal way. Jason prefers to have services be listed under 'ipkg -o /var list' so his application installs services to /var instead of the required root filesystem, and then he asks service makers to manually (using scripts in the ipk) move the files from /var, to the normal default service installation paths in the root filesystem.

So to summarize, either way the files end up in the same location, the only difference is where the service will be listed under in the ipkg list command.

I feel moving the service files around manually to the correct location defeats the purpose of having a package manager (ipkg) manage the installation process for you.
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Nice program. If I can just get a decent signal at home to try it out. Had to drive down the road with my laptop and install it while sitting in my car.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcarlisle View Post
    I'm a newbe and trying to figure this out. I want to use wifi or usb, do i have to root my pre, if so how do I do that. i installed my tether but cant get it to work. When I plug in the pre it does not ask to install new dev. What do I do on the PC running Vista to see the pre as a wifi. Somewhat lost when things are left out that are assumed by some. Can anyone help? Thanks Bob
    No you don't have to root your Pre.

Download and install WebOS QuickInstall by Jason Robitaille (it should have it's own thread in the Homebrew Apps forums). Then download the MyTether 1.5 installer (check out post #2119 on page 106 of this thread) and install it using WebOS QuickInstall.
    Is there anyway i can talk to someone about walking me through this. like through the phone or something because i dont even kno if i completly rooted my pre. im new to this so i followed all the directions as best as i could but i still feel like it got me no where. i cant even download the my tether application for gods sake. If anyone can find the time I would be sooo happy to get this process over with. ive been doing it for 3 days and when i think im done i have to download more and more. Beginning to be stressful. Just message me or reply to this message and I will send my numb.
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    You see, non-official apps are installed in the Pre under /var, this is done by doing ipkg -o /var install {app.ipk}, but services are required to be installed in the root filesystem, which is done by doing ipkg install {service.ipk}. Jason has experimented with installing the services to /var, and then symlinking to the normal paths under the root filesystem, but he said that did not work out.
    Firstly, official Palm App Catalog applications, and applications installed via the Palm SDK, end up under /var. It is clear (both from observation, and from discussions that I have had with senior palm engineers) that any files that are not part of Palm's OTA updates are meant to be under /var (/opt is an exception for Optware, and we got the OK from Palm to use that directory for that purpose).

There is absolutely no problem in symlinking service .jar files in the filesystem. Upstart init files (a 6 line text file) need to be copied instead of symlinked because upstart has security features to not follow symlinks.

So let's debunk this "official vs unofficial" line right now.

To get a list of applications installed using ipkg, you can do ipkg -o /var list, or ipkg list, the first one will give you all non-official apps on your Pre, and the second gives all official apps, as well as services installed the normal way. Jason prefers to have services be listed under 'ipkg -o /var list' so his application installs services to /var instead of the required root filesystem, and then he asks service makers to manually (using scripts in the ipk) move the files from /var, to the normal default service installation paths in the root filesystem.
    The first gives you the list of applications that have been installed outside of a Palm OTA update (e.g. from the Palm App Catalog, or via the Palm SDK palm-install script, or via WebOS Quick Install, or via Preware, or via fileCoaster, or via PreLoad, or via the IPKG Installer).

We have been specifically told by Palm that interfering with the non-var ipkg database (the one you are messing with if you don't give the -o /var argument to the ipkg command) has a possibility of interfering with future OTA updates. It is not "dangerous", but it does present the possibility of users having problems applying future OTA updates. It's not because of putting the files outside of /var (which you need to do for services and plugins), it is because you will be changing the state of the ipkg database under /usr/lib/ipkg (which is reserved by Palm for the files and OpenEmbedded packages which are modified by OTA updates), instead of the ipkg database under /var/usr/lib/ipkg (which is intended for use by applications and other files installed outside of OTA updates). Putting files outside of /var is safe, as long as you specifically name the files so that they do not collide with existing or possible future Palm files. WebOS Internals services, for example, are specifically designed to avoid these collisions, by using "org.webosinternals" in the names of all files we install.

These are the reasons why all the above programs install things under /var.

So to summarize, either way the files end up in the same location, the only difference is where the service will be listed under in the ipkg list command.
    That is not correct. The major difference is whether you are operating on the OpenEmbedded rootfs ipkg database designed for OTA updates only, or whether you are operating on the /var ipkg database designed for Palm App Catalog, SDK, and third-party installations.

I feel moving the service files around manually to the correct location defeats the purpose of having a package manager (ipkg) manage the installation process for you.
    Again incorrect. The ipkg package manager on the Pre is used for two completely separate "installation databases". You seem to be incorrectly using the one reserved by Palm for the initial OpenEmbedded rootfs builds done at the factory and OTA updates. All the other tools are correctly using ipkg to manage packages in the /var installation database.

In addition to all this, you will notice that there is no Palm API (either in webOS, or in the SDK) which allows you to use ipkg without the -o var switch. To use ipkg without the -o /var switch requires actions as the root user, not following any Palm APIs or Palm SDK installation instructions. This in itself is a clear message about the intended use of ipkg for non-OTA update installations.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/03/2009 at 04:41 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    And on the practical end of things, "-o /var" formatted ipks make it compatible with WebOS Quick Install/Preware, including the uninstall aspect, without rooting
    Hmm... admittedly I don't know much on the subject, but would using ipkg-opt to install the service as Optware work in lieu of ipkg or ipkg -o /var without any modifications?

I mean, it seems like it'd still work as-is, and also have the benefit of not being dangerous (according to Rod who I'll take at his word for that since he has a much greater understanding of this than me).

I know that'd only be a solution if you're okay with adding stuff to the Linux underneath, but it seems like it'd work in my (completely unqualified) opinion.
    I cant ge tthis to work. Everytime i turn on usbnet it goes back to off the minute i hit close. I have windows 64, so i guess i dotn have to install any drivers. I cant turn on tethering, bc it says usbnet has to be on, but it wont turn on, and when i shut my pre down and restart it it is still usbnet is still off. DHC is the only one that stays on. HELP
    I cant ge tthis to work. Everytime i turn on usbnet it goes back to off the minute i hit close. I have windows 64, so i guess i dotn have to install any drivers. I cant turn on tethering, bc it says usbnet has to be on, but it wont turn on, and when i shut my pre down and restart it it is still usbnet is still off. DHC is the only one that stays on. HELP
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hmm... admittedly I don't know much on the subject, but would using ipkg-opt to install the service as Optware work in lieu of ipkg or ipkg -o /var without any modifications?

I mean, it seems like it'd still work as-is, and also have the benefit of not being dangerous (according to Rod who I'll take at his word for that since he has a much greater understanding of this than me).

I know that'd only be a solution if you're okay with adding stuff to the Linux underneath, but it seems like it'd work in my (completely unqualified) opinion.
    Optware installs things under /opt.

There is no difference between installing under /opt or /var - you still need to do the same symlinks into the locations where the Palm service boot script is looking for things.

In addition to that, using ipkg-opt would require anyone who wants to use homebrew apps to go through the whole optware installation, which would be a waste of time, effort, and space for those who are not interested in using the linux command line in the first place.

BTW, "dangerous" is not the right word to use - there is nothing "dangerous" about installing homebrew by any means. Using ipkg without the -o /var option can cause "inconvenience" (i.e. you may have to use the webOS Doctor to recover) not "danger".

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OK, I followed all the directions, I think.

I loaded MyTether 1.5 with WebOS QuickInstall after I enabled Developer mode. No problems, loaded with ease.

Ran MyTether, punched the WiFi mode and I get.....

Enabling WiFi Tethering....

That's it. Been that way for an hour. WiFi on the phone is off. Bluetooth is off. Not in airplane mode.
    Stats:Palm webOS ver 1.1.0
    Firmware: CC1.2(334)

Any help is appreciated.
    Thx
    Scav