Page 109 of 217 FirstFirst ... 95999104105106107108109110111112113114119159209 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 4339
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    I finally got all of that done..fffeeeyyuu. BUT NOW(of course) i can't connect. I have it all written in post #2144.
    As soon as i get this going i'm gonna donate to Jason and aonic, gotta GIVE BACK!
    Holley many on this thread and the MY Tether site have gotten to the point your at and cannot connect. Most have had success after rebooting their computer. If you haven't done that yet give that a try.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roisen View Post
    Have there been any report of Sprint catching anyone using this and slapping them with a huge bill of data usage? That's my only concern with this app!
    I was charged with an old phone through sprint for tethering- came to a couple hundred dollars before I found out i was being charged...

If you want to use your pre as a modem - you need to add the "PAM" plan to your everything plan... it is not included... this is the "phone as modem" plan through sprint... if you don't have the PAM plan added to your everything plan you will be charged per kb that transfers over the network... the rates can be found on the sprint website-
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    Imho its not forced unless there's a gun to ur head...

Don't be a popinjay. "forced" in the market sense means: If you want it you must pay.

There is no LEGAL way to get My Tether version 2.x WITHOUT paying. Thus you are "forced" to pay, completely invalidating the idea of a "donation" as Aonic calls it.

If Aonic was simply offering the upgraded version of My Tether on the Homebrew Apps catalog with a fully optional "donate" button nobody would take issue with it, and I'm sure many people would gladly donate. But to ABANDON the free version (and let's be honest, Aonic is NEVER going to update the free version again.) and then say: "Well, you can have the upgraded version, for a 'donation', but I'm not giving it away anymore." in any court of law or mind of a sensible person THAT is a payment.

Of course, if Aonic wishes to charge for MT 2.x and up, he's free to do so. It's his creation to do with as he pleases. But don't insult our intelligence by pretending it's a "donation". Just call it what it is, a payment for a product, and we can all move on.

(Now watch, Aonic is going to go tweak something minor in the free version and change it to version 1.5.1 just so he can come on here and call me a liar. )
    Quote Originally Posted by thehoffaman View Post
    If you want to use your pre as a modem - you need to add the "PAM" plan to your everything plan... it is not included... this is the "phone as modem" plan through sprint... if you don't have the PAM plan added to your everything plan you will be charged per kb that transfers over the network... the rates can be found on the sprint website-
    Incorrect.

If you have the "Simply Everything" plan, or the "Everything Data" plan (as I do) Tethering charges are not on your bill. BEHOLD MY BILL: (well, the non-personally identifiable parts of it anyway.)

Code:
    Everything Data - 450 Anytime Minutes Included  	 $69.99
    Employee Discount Sprint 10% 	-$7.00
    Total Equipment Protection - $3 insurance premium & $4 service/repair 	$7.00
    This is my statement from LAST MONTH when I spent quite a bit of time tethered as I was traveling. As you can see, NO TETHER CHARGES.

Oh, and that 7 buck discount is because... Well, it helps to know the right people.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa334 View Post
    Holley many on this thread and the MY Tether site have gotten to the point your at and cannot connect. Most have had success after rebooting their computer. If you haven't done that yet give that a try.
    After re-boot, under "all network connections" it's gone. the virtualbox is there, but the Linux Ethernet connection is gone. My phone is connected via USB and tether is enabled, my wifi is disabled on both my Pre and my Laptop. It just isn't gonna happen and i'm bummed, at least not until i can get some detailed help. I want to just start all over, so i need to uninstall the "Virtualbox Host- only Ethernet" from my Network Connections?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    After re-boot, under "all network connections" it's gone. the virtualbox is there, but the Linux Ethernet connection is gone. My phone is connected via USB and tether is enabled, my wifi is disabled on both my Pre and my Laptop. It just isn't gonna happen and i'm bummed, at least not until i can get some detailed help. I want to just start all over, so i need to uninstall the "Virtualbox Host- only Ethernet" from my Network Connections?
    Holley, Does the pre when tethered show up as a network gadget or similar in hardware properties tab when your tethered?

tethered=usb cable contected
    hello,
    i cant get the drivers to install im using windows vista 64 bit any idea how i can get them installed?
    Last edited by Palm-Epix-Pre; 08/27/2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    in windows explorer settings, you have to uncheck the option to hide known file type extensions.

then you can click on the file (that you already have saved) to rename it and delete the .txt off the end. Thats it
    I have already done all the work, but it's not working. I can't connect. I never changed it from .txt, could that be my whole problem? If so, how do i start over. i have uninstalled "my tether" and reinstalled using
    WebOS Quick Install, but when i go to USB mode the wizard doesn't come up anymore. Plus the internet connections are still in my "internet connections" and i don't know how to uninstall those either.
    1. VirtualBox Host Only Ethernet connection
    2. Linux USB Ethernet connection

I need some serious help here, i've been at this for way too long already.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishounen View Post
    Don't be a popinjay. "forced" in the market sense means: If you want it you must pay.

There is no LEGAL way to get My Tether version 2.x WITHOUT paying. Thus you are "forced" to pay, completely invalidating the idea of a "donation" as Aonic calls it.

If Aonic was simply offering the upgraded version of My Tether on the Homebrew Apps catalog with a fully optional "donate" button nobody would take issue with it, and I'm sure many people would gladly donate. But to ABANDON the free version (and let's be honest, Aonic is NEVER going to update the free version again.) and then say: "Well, you can have the upgraded version, for a 'donation', but I'm not giving it away anymore." in any court of law or mind of a sensible person THAT is a payment.

Of course, if Aonic wishes to charge for MT 2.x and up, he's free to do so. It's his creation to do with as he pleases. But don't insult our intelligence by pretending it's a "donation". Just call it what it is, a payment for a product, and we can all move on.

(Now watch, Aonic is going to go tweak something minor in the free version and change it to version 1.5.1 just so he can come on here and call me a liar. )
    i dont know i just said that was my opinion....i dont expect anyone that thinks otherwise to go crazy on me...i dont believe its a forced donation bc if u wanted it free get 1.5 and root and now u dont have to root bc of webOS quick install of course u got extra features that aonic spent time to add and i believe its "worth" paying for...i guess i understand its not the definition of a donation but ppl started donating at the beginning and so i guess he made it that way but like i said at the beginning i dont c it as a forced donation
    i dont know i just said that was my opinion....i dont expect anyone that thinks otherwise to go crazy on me...i dont believe its a forced donation bc if u wanted it free get 1.5 and root and now u dont have to root bc of webOS quick install of course u got extra features that aonic spent time to add and i believe its "worth" paying for...i guess i understand its not the definition of a donation but ppl started donating at the beginning and so i guess he made it that way but like i said at the beginning i dont c it as a forced donation
    It'd be really good if Aonic could give his reasons for mis-using the term "donation" instead of saying "upgrade payment from the free 1.5 version to the paid 2.0 version" ...

I'm sure that everyone who is currently "donating" would be just as happy to make an "upgrade payment" instead.

I just can't see the logic of continuing to mis-use the "donation" term, and thereby cause all this negativity around an app that people seem to be happy enough with to make payments to get a 2.0 version ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It'd be really good if Aonic could give his reasons for mis-using the term "donation" instead of saying "upgrade payment from the free 1.5 version to the paid 2.0 version" ...

I'm sure that everyone who is currently "donating" would be just as happy to make an "upgrade payment" instead.

I just can't see the logic of continuing to mis-use the "donation" term, and thereby cause all this negativity around an app that people seem to be happy enough with to make payments to get a 2.0 version ...

-- Rod
    yeah tru like if i were him i would make it a payment but bc he made it a donation i still dont care how we worded it bc its an amazing app but i still dont kill him for it
    yeah tru like if i were him i would make it a payment but bc he made it a donation i still dont care how we worded it bc its an amazing app but i still dont kill him for it
    I think you're the only one so far in the thread who has mentioned guns ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.

-- Rod
    lol is that bad...well its tru imo u have a choice....1.5 or 2.1 free or paid...he's not "forcing" u to pay it but of course its a better version...if ur cheap as hell ur gonna go and try and make 1.5 work but if u think rooting or the lesser options 1.5 has compared to 2.1 then u gotta pay i still think its not forced....bc if there was no 1.5 and only 2.1 and u gotta pay then yes its forced...but u got a choice
    i had mine working find 2 days ago and yesterday i could not get my laptop to connect, i rebooted both devices with no luck, any ideas?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I was able to get mytether to work through USBNet to my eeepc 901a. If anyone is curious, here's how I did it! If this breaks your eeepc or your palm pre... its not my fault.

First off, on your eeepc, hit control-alt-t to open the terminal.
    vi palmpre.sh
    then paste this in---

sudo /sbin/ifconfig usb 192.168.0.203 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.202
    sudo cp ~/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

:wq!
    chmod 777 palmpre.sh

vi resolv.conf
    then paste this in---

nameserver 4.2.2.1

Then follow these directions-

Plug your usb cable from your palm pre into your eeepc.

On your palm
    Go to the 'My Tether' app
    Hit USB on the bottom, or at the top where it says USB Tethering, switch it to ON.
    Give it a second.
    Touch Options
    Push 'Disable Screen Timer' to ON.
    Hit Close
    Turn off the screen to the Palm Pre (Button on the up right of the palm)

On your eee-pc-
    Open a terminal (control-alt-t)
    type ./palmpre.sh

Thats it! You should now be using your Palm Pre's internet on your eeepc! Good luck.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    This may be a dumb question, but in order to go to the root, do I have to install Mojo SDK and Virtualbox as per the instructions? I do have Java running.

Thanks
    Suparag
    I have already done all the work, but it's not working. I can't connect. I never changed it from .txt, could that be my whole problem? If so, how do i start over. i have uninstalled "my tether" and reinstalled using
    WebOS Quick Install, but when i go to USB mode the wizard doesn't come up anymore. Plus the internet connections are still in my "internet connections" and i don't know how to uninstall those either.
    1. VirtualBox Host Only Ethernet connection
    2. Linux USB Ethernet connection

I need some serious help here, i've been at this for way too long already.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
    okay first, calm down, we are here to help. I know you are frustrated but luckily there is a lot of good help here in the forums.

My first suggestion is to simply tether via wifi. Instead of trying to tether via usb just tether wifi to make sure it works and you installed the app properly. I always tether with wifi unless i am at work in which case i tether via bluetooth (work computer dows not accept ad-hoc wifi).

Make sure your computer has service pack 3 installed. My work computer has service pack 2 which is not compatible with usb tethering with mytether.

Also what version of MyTether did you install and in one sentence how did you go about installing it?

here is what i did:
    1. donate $10 bucks to get acces to donor's only thread on Aonic's website.
    2. find the thread on his site that shows how to install MyTether via root.
    3. installed mojo sdk (and novaterm for windows xp)
    4. opened comand line and typed novaterm (now i am rooted into Pre)
    5. type the code that you found on Aonic's donor's only thread (hint: it starts with wget...)
    6. open my tether and hit enable tether wifi.
    7. on computer select the custom SSID that you created and boom up and tethering.

when i tether via wifi i have phone hooked up via usb in the "just charging" mode so it doesnt run out of battery.

if you have to tether via usb then install the usbnet driver when you plug in your pre then reboot pc and pre and next time you connect pre you should be able to click linux ethernet in network connections.

dont mess around with the windows .exe installer on aonic's website. Rooting is the best way.

hope this helps and good luck. BTW is that you in your avatar?
    Well, after considering all the angles on the free-vs-fee version of My Tether, I decided to get the fee version. I mean, come on! $10 is like the price of two fast-food combo meals! And, I guess I felt that if I paid, I might get some support if I couldn't get it working. Lots of folks on this forum have spent a lot more than $10 worth of their time, I'm betting, struggling to get something for nothing.

Anyway, it works like a champ now, and I even tested it with my work VPN (ATT) dialer and was able to dial into my company's intranet. It took a little fiddling, as the connection manager my company imposes on us (not the Windows default stuff) wouldn't let WEP be enabled for an ad-hoc network, but since the dialer encrypts all the traffic from the laptop through to the company intranet, I felt that was a fair tradeoff.

In my case, to get the install to work and make the icon appear on my Pre with the provided installer that you get with the fee-based version, I had to make sure all the stuff mentioned in the instructions was on my PC and working, and that WiFi on my Pre was enabled during the install for some reason - even though the instructions said either EvDo or WiFi was sufficient.

Although it was not a completely smooth experience because of that one minor issue (which I just guessed about trying since it was at least mentioned in the instructions) so I had to re-install and reboot, it is a very nice app with some cool features and worth the price of admission to me.

-- Rod
    Rod,
    I installed MyTether via the ipk that you posted on the forums, and I'm seeing an update available in preware. Is it safe and/or a good idea to upgrade mytether via preware, or should I wait to do it via webos quick install?
    Thanks,
    Jason

**edit: I just realized the version that I have installed is 1.5, which this thread claims is the most current. Why does preware claim there's an update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beestinga View Post
    Rod,
    I installed MyTether via the ipk that you posted on the forums, and I'm seeing an update available in preware. Is it safe and/or a good idea to upgrade mytether via preware, or should I wait to do it via webos quick install?
    Thanks,
    Jason

**edit: I just realized the version that I have installed is 1.5, which this thread claims is the most current. Why does preware claim there's an update?
    I have not posted any MyTether ipk on any forum - maybe you're thinking of Jason?

You will need to ask the author of MyTether to find out how it should or should not be installed. It's closed source, so we're not allowed to determine what it does (personally, I'd be concerned about running a closed source application that does stuff as root on my Pre, but that's just me).

I believe Preware is telling you about the installer that Jason did, which is a different package to the one from the MyTether author.

Also, the package from the MyTether author incorrectly uses the internal Palm-only ipkg database, instead of using the App Catalog and palm-install ipkg database (the one that WebOS Quick Install and Preware uses). So his package will not show up in the WebOS GUI list of installed packages, nor will it be seen by WebOS Quick Install or Preware.

-- Rod