Page 108 of 217 FirstFirst ... 85898103104105106107108109110111112113118158208 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 4339
  1. #2141  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    yea, download the single .ipk file I linked to. You must install it via WebOS Quick Install. Once it's installed, you'll have MyTether installed, no rooting needed
    Is there a difference in the "final state" of the Pre between a root install of v1.5 and v1.5 installed by your means? Or is it just a difference in the procedure?

    And a follow-up question: How does one un-install MyTether v1.5 which was installed by rooting?

    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Tom
  2. #2142  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Is there a difference in the "final state" of the Pre between a root install of v1.5 and v1.5 installed by your means? Or is it just a difference in the procedure?

    And a follow-up question: How does one un-install MyTether v1.5 which was installed by rooting?

    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Tom
    Once all is said and done, both methods' "final states" would be exactly the same, with one small exception. In WebOS Quick Install's Device Management panel, info on MyTether, and the MyTether Service will be present (version info, memory size, etc.), and best yet, give an easy option for uninstallation

    The method of installation is the big difference. Whereas the old free version was a rooting-required script and installed the service to palm's (usually) readonly system ipkg database. My installer installs it to the ipkg database for user-installed content and does not require rooting.

    To remove the rooting-required free version use the following in commandline:
    Code:
    ipkg -o /var remove net.aonic.my-tether
    /bin/mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove net.aonic.tether
    /bin/mount -o remount,ro /
  3. #2143  
    I disabled my wifi so i could try out my new connection, however, pages won't load. I look at all the connection settings:
    IP: 192.168.0.11 (which is different than the IP from the WebOS Internals Page example)
    Tether: enabled (well it says "Enabling USB Tethering..."
    Enabling NAT
    Tethering ON
    on my Pre. So then i connect via USB, press the USB option on my Pre
    Open Network Connections: Open Local Area Connection 2
    Says it's connected, but will not let me load any pages..(firewall disabled)

    Anyone know why it isn't actually connected? I have "repaired connection" and say's all is well.

    I'm just not sure about "sharing internet connections" here. Since i seem to have two connections:
    Virturalbox-Host only
    Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS
    I'm sure it's just a setting thats wrong from the Internet Sharing Properties. What do i do for each connection? Which one or both should be enabled? I must have gone rouge at some point because none of this is in the directions.
    Last edited by holley2583; 08/27/2009 at 06:10 PM.
  4. #2144  
    what are the differences between bluetooth and wifi in terms of security?
  5. #2145  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    what are the differences between bluetooth and wifi in terms of security?
    Bluetooth is much shorter ranged than Wifi, so there is a bit of security in that you have to be pretty close to the source to use it, and bluetooth will only allow a one to one pairing. So once you are BT paired, nobody else can until you are done.

    However, BT is NOT encrypted, so someone nearby (but possibly out of your view) could still "sniff" the traffic and parse out what you are doing online.

    Of course, the Free* version of My Tether can't encrypt Wifi, so it's also horribly insecure too. really the only fully secure method of tethering is via USB.

    *Sorry aonic, if I have to make a "donation" to get the upgraded version, it's not a donation. It's a charge. Just be honest about it and call it what it is, we will all respect you more.
  6. #2146  
    Thanks. What would be the steps for using USB with a Mac?
  7. #2147  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks. What would be the steps for using USB with a Mac?
    From what I understand, MAC OS X USB tethering on the free version is not yet functional. I don't know about the pay version, but I wouldn't pay just to find out if I were you.

    I would stick with BT tethering for now. Not the most secure ever, but still pretty good.
  8. #2148  
    Great app, but forced donations aren't donations.
  9. #2149  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Once all is said and done, both methods' "final states" would be exactly the same, with one small exception. In WebOS Quick Install's Device Management panel, info on MyTether, and the MyTether Service will be present (version info, memory size, etc.), and best yet, give an easy option for uninstallation

    The method of installation is the big difference. Whereas the old free version was a rooting-required script and installed the service to palm's (usually) readonly system ipkg database. My installer installs it to the ipkg database for user-installed content and does not require rooting.
    OK, that makes sense.

    And, a big thanks for the full explanation, including instructions for the uninstall!

    Regards,
    Tom
  10. #2150  
    Imho its not forced unless there's a gun to ur head...
  11. #2151  
    just wanted to say thanks for the MyTether app Aonic. I donated and got the version 2.01. It is very slick. I like how it stays on when the screen is off and you can change SSID and WEP preferences.

    Keep up the good work and keep improving the app with the donations we sent in.
  12. #2152  
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    I've searched this thread but still can't figure out why when i try to copy and save the Window xp driver from WebOS Internals page I can't find it when the Driver Installation Wizard asks for the file. Where exactly should I file this so i can open it when prompted? Im right clicking on "Windows XP 32" and "save link as" to my desktop for easy retrieval but the file is not there later when my Pre is connected via USB. What am i overlooking? Thanks in advance for any help....Thanks...really.
    when you are prompted to select the driver make sure you have "all files" selected so it shows all the files on your desktop. Otherwise the default file type might not match the one you downloaded and make it appear as if the file is hidden on your desktop.
  13. #2153  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    To remove the rooting-required free version use the following in commandline:
    Code:
    ipkg -o /var remove net.aonic.my-tether
    /bin/mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove net.aonic.tether
    /bin/mount -o remount,ro /
    Everything seemed to work properly, until the last command. After entering it, I got the following message:
    mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-root on / failed: Device or resource busy

    I connected in "just charge" mode, and as I say everything else seemed to go alright.

    At this point, I've exited from terminal mode, but I assume my file system is still in read/write mode?

    Thanks,
    Tom
  14. #2154  
    I got it installed on my Vista laptop but once it's connected over USB it's only a local connection and I can't get out onto the Internet. As long as my phone is tethered it also changes my home WIFI connection to local only too.

    I know that I'm missing something simple here.
  15. #2155  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Everything seemed to work properly, until the last command. After entering it, I got the following message:
    mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-root on / failed: Device or resource busy

    I connected in "just charge" mode, and as I say everything else seemed to go alright.

    At this point, I've exited from terminal mode, but I assume my file system is still in read/write mode?

    Thanks,
    Tom
    yea, read-write mode. You can reconnect and remount it readonly, or you can just install an app via WebOS Quick Install, which remounts readonly at the end of an installation sequence anyway
  16. #2156  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    ...or you can just install an app via WebOS Quick Install...
    Way ahead of ya!

    Thanks again!

    Tom
  17. #2157  
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    it won't give me this option...when i save it i do have it under All files, but when i browse to find it under desktop, it won't show all files. ya know? oh and thank you for responding, sorta feel like a numbskull.
    that is wierd. I did this exact installation with no problem. Although i did it a long time ago. anyways here is the instructions for the part that you are having trouble with.

    Windows XP usbnet - GumstixDocsWiki

    When you download the usbnet driver to your computer are you saving it with the .inf extension on it?
  18. jsa334's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #2158  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    Imho its not forced unless there's a gun to ur head...
    +1
  19. #2159  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    Imho its not forced unless there's a gun to ur head...
    IMHO it's not a donation if you have to pay it to get something - it's either an advance payment or a subscription.

    Why are authors so afraid of calling a payment a payment and instead try sugar coating it as some sort of donation? It really cheapens real donations (i.e. those to charities) which are given with nothing expected in return.

    It also cheapens the altruism of the authors that do really give you everything up front, and earn your respect and donations as a result.

    I'm all in favour of authors asking for and receiving donations and/or advance payments and/or beta program or advanced version subscription payments. Just don't confuse these things - they are not the same.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. #2160  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    that is wierd. I did this exact installation with no problem. Although i did it a long time ago. anyways here is the instructions for the part that you are having trouble with.

    Windows XP usbnet - GumstixDocsWiki

    When you download the usbnet driver to your computer are you saving it with the .inf extension on it?
    I finally got all of that done..fffeeeyyuu. BUT NOW(of course) i can't connect. I have it all written in post #2144.
    As soon as i get this going i'm gonna donate to Jason and aonic, gotta GIVE BACK!

Posting Permissions