Page 10 of 217 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060110 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Folks have been tethering phones on Sprint for as long as we have had PDA phones. If they haven't gone to great lengths about past abuses, I doubt that they will care about Pre users, particularly since the current Pre solution required rooting whereas you can tether with an Instinct or any PalmOS or WinMo phone with a free patch or PDAnet.

Sprint put in place a 5GB monthly cap -- I would think that this would take care of the abusers.

-darren
    I'm up for testing
  3.    #183  
    Gentlemen, we have lift off! 1.2.0 has the bugs and kinks worked out and is ready for general consumption!

Check the main post for upgrade & install instructions

P.S. can a mod change the thread title to 'My Tether - Tether over WiFi, USD, and BT'
    Last edited by aonic; 07/09/2009 at 07:20 AM.
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Will try this today, thanks!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    i will test it right now.

aonic, what you should do is start a new thread in HomeBrew
  6.    #186  
    sounds good. maybe a mod can move this thread to homebrew and change the title as well!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    yep, it works. wow, this is really fantastic. aonic, thank you so much.
  8.    #188  
    thanks for all the testing

for the next version, i have planned support for a key on the network, as well as some cleanup of the output from ON / OFF
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Can the WIFI Tethering installation work without Rooting the Pre?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bgc42169 View Post
    Can the WIFI Tethering installation work without Rooting the Pre?
    no. i believe it still requires webosservice 0-4 thing to be installed....
    Hey all, I posted this a few pages back, but you were all in a frenzy of testing... But does this work with Windows 2000? My handy dandy laptop, that i keep far away from the kids, is still running 2000. I have xp to throw on it, but haven't gotten around to it.. Sooner or later I will throw XP on it, but until then, will the Pre tether with it. And if so, anyone know where the drivers are. I seen a mention of them on the wiki page, but couldn't find them...

Thanks
    Not easy enough for me yet I have neither the patience to root my phone or to deal with the problems that result from me screwing it up. Awesome job though!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Got it installed and seems to work. Will take it for a spin later when I have some time. Thank you for this. I missed the ability to this with the pre. Used to tether my Moto Q using pdanet whenever I was at a spot without free wifi.
  14.    #194  
    Lilmexx, the xp driver should work in 2000. If not, you can always tether over wifi. Just enable wifi tether on My Tether, and connect your laptop to PreNet
    Thanks for the reply.. I will give it a shot as soon as I can get ahold of the cash and get a pre... This is some AWESOME work you have been doing... And it is very appriciated... As this is the only feature that has kept me from grabbing one.
  16.    #196  
    Np! Let us know how it goes.

Guys, should I make WiFi the default screen when you launch My Tether? Or keep USB as default?
    Please leave USB as default, as I refuse to tether wirelessly, unless I am without one of my 10 USB cables.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post

Guys, should I make WiFi the default screen when you launch My Tether? Or keep USB as default?
    i am not to sure what the USB tether switch even does....
    looking at ifconfig on a reboot, usb0 and usb0:1 are both present regardless of what the switch state is.

also, it would be worth while to investigate how to progromatically turn off WiFi when the program starts and then ask if you want to turn it back on at exit.
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    i am not to sure what the USB tether switch even does....
    looking at ifconfig on a reboot, usb0 and usb0:1 are both present regardless of what the switch state is.
    Maybe that's why windows is detecting the Ethernet Gadget when I plug in my Pre, regardless of whether I'm running MyTether...?

Or is that due to USBnet staying on?
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post

No, leave it as USB/bluetooth... I think that's the easiest config for most people.

At least until someone ports AP code to the Pre's wifi interface and turns it on as a full AP...