Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Updates?

Is there a way for us to get the updates for these Homebrew apps without having to reinstall each time using this method? At the moment, I assume, we need to check this forum often to see when apps are updated, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Ok... I think you have to restart your computer. It fixed my problem.

However, I figured out how to stop Novacom services.
    1. Control + Alt + Delete
    2. Processes Tab
    3. Find novacomd
    4. End that process (novacomd.exe)

However, I can't start up novacom again. So I don't suggest you do that.
    I think I may have to restart my computer again (ugh) just for novacom to start up. I can't do Run-->C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin\novacom.exe

So now that Novacom doesn't run, I can't do anything.
    Any ideas?
    Is Palm Novacom listed under Services.msc when you run it from the command prompt?
    I have no idea what happened, but after I installed the SDK and rebooted my machine no longer will boot in either safe mode or last known good configuration. I was able to get all the data off with a HDD dock but it still kinda scary.

Really not sure how it came to corrupt the boot sequence.
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    i have simply made visible the Dev mode icon.
    it is located here; (for those that can root their Pre)

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json

Change the line that says "visible": false to "visible": true

then i can turn it off and on without the Konami code.

Please explain exactly how to edit once you get to the com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/

Not sure how to get past that and edit the .json file
    This is the one outstanding unresolved issue I am presently having. If anyone wishes to chime in with a solution, by all means, it would be much appreciated. The problem is, that once your new app is loaded, you need to unplug your phone and turn off the developer mode. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to “Safely Remove Novacom Device.” For although the option appears when you attempt to safely remove device, an error pops up indicating a program is accessing the device, even after Virtual Box and the SDK are closed. My temporary solution thus far has been to close Virtual Box and the Mojo SDK, and anything else opened, turn the Pre into USB mode by pressing the USB notification on the Pre, and then Safely Removing the Mass Storage Device. However, the Pre still shows up as both a Novacom and Mass Storage Device and the Novacaom Device is still being accessed by something. At this point I simply unplug and turn off developer mode by once again typing in the upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart code and turning off developer mode. I have yet to have any ill effects, however, I wonder if something untoward will occur down the road with continued unplugging with out safely removing hardware. Again if someone has a better solution, I am all ears.

I found a Novacom.exe in my processes. I closed out that executable in my task list and was able to safely remove my pre from the task bar. Not sure if this is any better but it seems to be working.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedwards7425 View Post
    This is the one outstanding unresolved issue I am presently having. If anyone wishes to chime in with a solution, by all means, it would be much appreciated. The problem is, that once your new app is loaded, you need to unplug your phone and turn off the developer mode. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to “Safely Remove Novacom Device.” For although the option appears when you attempt to safely remove device, an error pops up indicating a program is accessing the device, even after Virtual Box and the SDK are closed. My temporary solution thus far has been to close Virtual Box and the Mojo SDK, and anything else opened, turn the Pre into USB mode by pressing the USB notification on the Pre, and then Safely Removing the Mass Storage Device. However, the Pre still shows up as both a Novacom and Mass Storage Device and the Novacaom Device is still being accessed by something. At this point I simply unplug and turn off developer mode by once again typing in the upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart code and turning off developer mode. I have yet to have any ill effects, however, I wonder if something untoward will occur down the road with continued unplugging with out safely removing hardware. Again if someone has a better solution, I am all ears.

I found a Novacom.exe in my processes. I closed out that executable in my task list and was able to safely remove my pre from the task bar. Not sure if this is any better but it seems to be working.
    I went to My Computer and right-clicked on the Pre's drive and then clicked on eject. The drive should then go away and you can unplug safely. Been doing this from day 1 because my Pre never safely removes without doing that. Let me know if this helps.
    600p > 650p > 700p > PRE
    Ok, I am now really upset! I have been working on this for hours and eyeballing this thread. I am sure I am doing everything right and at the end the files do not appear. THE ONLY HICCUP I SEEM TO NOTICE IS THAT WHEN I DRAG AND DROP THE COMMAND PROMPT DOES NOT SCROLL A BUNCH OF LETTERS, IT JUST FLASHES A ONE LINE SENTENCES.

On Windows Vista Service pack 2
    SDK is working fine
    virtualbox is working fine
    novacom is started

OMG PLEASEEE HELP!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    Ok, I am now really upset! I have been working on this for hours and eyeballing this thread. I am sure I am doing everything right and at the end the files do not appear. THE ONLY HICCUP I SEEM TO NOTICE IS THAT WHEN I DRAG AND DROP THE COMMAND PROMPT DOES NOT SCROLL A BUNCH OF LETTERS, IT JUST FLASHES A ONE LINE SENTENCES.

On Windows Vista Service pack 2
    SDK is working fine
    virtualbox is working fine
    novacom is started

OMG PLEASEEE HELP!!!!
    You're not alone... I don't know what I'm doing differently then others. I'm curious, are you on a Mac?
    I cant get this thing working for the life of me, the stupid emu keeps telling me that novacom is not running, but it is...I give up.
    here's some informaiton that I'm seeing here. I went directly into COMMAND and I launched the bat file and I'm getting the following message for every bat file in there:

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I'm looking at the bat commands in Notepad, and I'm not able to figure this out. This "JAVA" is what's causing my issue. And I know this, because I've been dropping these files into the install bat and I'm trying my best to see what the actual message is, and I remember it saying JAVA before it flashed off.

Anybody can make this out? I maybe posting nonsense, but I want to see if any tidbit of information can possibly help us people who can't get this working.

---edit---

Just to validate what I'm saying, I did a video recording of my desktop and managed to record a frame of the COMMAND line opening and closing with the error message inside it.

Last edited by groovdafied; 07/06/2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    an update to my previous post (#71, the one with the huge screenshot).

I haven't been able to get it to work on my desktop, not once. I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

I downloaded VirtualBox and SDK to my wife's laptop and it worked on the first try. Hell, I even installed three apps at once by selecting them all and dragging to the palm-install.bat file. Works perfect on the laptop, not once on the desktop. Both Vista 32-bit machines.

Oh well... guess I'll just have to use her machine. Must've been a bad install and the file isn't being removed. It works on Vista Home Basic, but not Vista Home Premium. I doubt the OS has anything to do with it tho.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ive been messing with this for hours as well......and i cant even get the palm-install.bat to pop up......and when i try to open up Palm Emulator, it says a error and something already exist
    Please check for any differences on your wifes laptop because I am also on a Vista Laptop
    Quote Originally Posted by chefjabril11 View Post
    kinda a noob here, need a mac version
    yea me too. anyone with the how-to mac version. would be much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by raeb View Post
    I went to My Computer and right-clicked on the Pre's drive and then clicked on eject. The drive should then go away and you can unplug safely. Been doing this from day 1 because my Pre never safely removes without doing that. Let me know if this helps.
    This is true. If I'm in USB mode I have to eject it from my computer in order to properly release the Pre and have it go back to phone mode. otherwise it won't work. On my Mac I just have to eject the Pre from the desktop and it goes back to phone mode. PC sucks. Either way as I stated earlier I use services.msc to stop the novacom services before released the Pre. No problem.
    Been trying for hours myself and still nothing. I cant even get the emulator to boot up. uninstalled and redownloaded from different sites and it still will not even boot the emulator....I think im done for the night myself :'( and im running vista ultimate
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm having problems getting the SDK itself to lunch

and once i get virtualbox running, do i need to sync anything? set anything up? or just close it?

ive tried methods posted as well as a few of my own and i cant figure out why the emulator wont launch.

i went ahead and did every other step as was given, confirmed the novacom connection, dragged the ipk to the correct icon in the correct folder and the cmd window pops up and quickly disappears. nothing happens.

im trying to do this w/o rooting my pre. any help would be appreciated

**i'm running xp.
    I've been trying all day to do this on a mac and no luck. I appreciate the help that some of you gave but no luck. If there's anyone with a mac that can help, it will greatly appreciated.
    Guys, this is what I got to work.

1.) Install Virtual Box
    2.) Install SDK
    3.) Restart your computer
    4.) Dev Mode Pre
    5.) Connect through USB "Just Charge" and verify Novacom connection
    6.) Start SDK
    7.) Closed the palm sdk
    8.) Open command prompt and go to "program files\palm\sdk\bin" and run "palm-install -d usb -l" (that's a lowercase L), to get a list of installed programs.
    9.) If you get "palm-install: no device found", you've done something wrong. Try unplugging and replugging in your pre.
    10.) If you do it right, you should get a listing of all installed programs on your pre.
    11.) Now type in "palm-install -d usb <programname.ipk>" (without the <>'s) and voila! As soon as it is done installing and back to the command prompt, the program should pop up on your pre.

Hope this helps. (I'm running Vista Ultimate 32)
    going to try it now
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast