Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Worked like a charm and was super easy to follow good post man.
    so today my phone quit letting me add new homebrew apps, and when i plug it into my computer it fails to pop up the novacom device or start the novacom service. has this happened to anyone else?
    I followed the directions on page 1 of this thread (install virtual box, SDK, Java). Everything appeared to install correctly. I put the Pre into developer mode and connected it to my desktop running Windows XP 3 selecting just charge. I dragged the .ipk file to palm-install.bat (in the "bin" folder). A command window opened, the installation process was executed, I received no error messages and the command line stated that the file should show on the Pre.

When I stopped Novacomm, removed the device and opened launcher on my Pre, the application did not show. I did this several times with the same results.

Next I used the Prebrew installation method. I installed prebrew following the directions on "http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Tutorials_webOS_Installing_An_Ipk". No error messages resulted from the installation. I rebooted the machine and an icon for the installapp.bat file was placed on my desktop. I put the Pre into developer mode and connected it to my desktop running Windows XP 3 selecting just charge. Again, I dragged the .ipk file to the icon and the installation started and completed with no errors.

When I stopped Novacomm, removed the device and opened launcher on my Pre, the application did not show. I did this several times with the same results.

Then I tried the method shown below:
    1.) Install Virtual Box
    2.) Install SDK
    3.) Restart your computer
    4.) Dev Mode Pre
    5.) Connect through USB "Just Charge" and verify Novacom connection
    6.) Start SDK
    7.) Closed the palm sdk
    8.) Open command prompt and go to "program files\palm\sdk\bin" and run "palm-install -d usb -l" (that's a lowercase L), to get a list of installed programs.
    9.) If you do it right, you should get a listing of all installed programs on your pre.
    10.) Now type in "palm-install -d usb <programname.ipk>" (without the <>'s) and voila! As soon as it is done installing and back to the command prompt, the program should pop up on your pre.

The installation process started. However, this time at the end of the process I received the following message:
    palm-install: FAILED_NOT_ENOUGH_INSTALL_SPACE

I can only assume that this error occurred with the other two processes I used. I have plenty of memory on my Pre. So I don't know why I am receiving an error message stating that there is not enough installation space.

Does anybody know what this message means and how I can fix the problem?

A number of individuals have been able to install home brew applications. I cannot seem to get it to work. I have listed the applications on my Pre several times using pretool. It only shows the built-in apps and those installed from the App Catalog. So it appears that none of my attempts to install the home brew apps have been successful.

Any ideas about fixing this problem would be welcome.

---------------

After trying a fourth unsuccessful approach to installing home brew apps, I came to the conclusion that the problem was with my Pre. So I went the hard route of performing a partial reset. After performing the reset (which deleted all the apps I had installed along with my email setup, etc.), I tried again to install an app using WebOS Quick Install. This time I was able to install the app without any problem.

So I would recommend to all those who are having the "not enough install space" error, to bite the bullet and reset their Pres. Then you will likely be able to install the Home Brew apps. Of course, now I have to reinstall all of my App Catalog apps along with setting up email, etc., etc.
    Last edited by jingles; 08/09/2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: New information
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    This may be a silly question but how do I update homebrew apps? Do I just install the latest version and delete the old, and if so do I lose my presets?

I apologize if this is written somewhere else, couldn't seem to find the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
    so today my phone quit letting me add new homebrew apps, and when i plug it into my computer it fails to pop up the novacom device or start the novacom service. has this happened to anyone else?
    make sure you have developer mode on
    do i need the mojosdk file to get the brew apps b/c i down loaded java nova quick and the doc did this to many times and still no device found
    I applied your instructions 2 months ago and they were very detailed and I did not have any problems loading filecoaster. However, now when I try to access Homebrew apps it never does. At the bottom I get a status reading saying it found "270 apps...loading apps" but nothing happens from there. Do I need to reload filecoaster?
    Last edited by stillman469; 11/23/2009 at 03:14 PM.
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031