Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031 LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I tried all this, (post SDK solution) phone got very slow, none of my computers (xp, vista home premium, vista x64, would recognize it. Then pocket mirror said I had the wrong version and now my pre seems very slow. After numerous resets, I took battery out and let phone sit, Tried another cable, and after a power off and restart, somehow phone started connecting to computer. I started the Prebrew Console and deleted the one program that I had installed, eventhough it never showed in launcher, but still feel that the phone is very sluggish. Any ideas short of resetting and having to recover EVERTHING that is lost when you do that?
    Last edited by texas7; 07/27/2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: trying to get email notification of any updates
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Thank you sir ! With your post I was able to do this easy. Even a first time smart phone owner can do it. Thanks again !
    after i did the upgrade i wasn't able to install the apps any more did you guys get that to ??
    Quote Originally Posted by j_mee_5 View Post
    after i did the upgrade i wasn't able to install the apps any more did you guys get that to ??

anyone ????
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    i applied apps today. No problems.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    This OP should probably be updated to include WebOS Installer and fileCoaster.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Click START
    - Run
    Type “Services.msc” and hit enter

At this point a large list of programs will appear. Scroll through until you find the following:

Palm Novacom

Now simply right-click on the above file and stop the process. You can now safely remove the “Novacom Device” by clicking on the “Safely Remove Hardware” button on your task bar, and disconnect your Pre from your computer. You will want to restart the Palm Novacom process by right-clicking it again, so that you can install new homebrew apps in the future.

B. Finally, return you Pre to its original state by taking it out of developer mode. To do that, once again do a universal search on your Pre for the following:

upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

Then turn off developer mode on the enabler, and restart you Pre as necessary. Some members on this thread have said disabling developer mode is not needed, and have apparently left their Pres in a permanent state of development, so to speak. Frankly, the only down side to keeping it in developer mode that I see is you may leave your device open for files to be unintentionally loaded onto your Pre. While this is only a very slight risk, I still recommend turning off developer mode so you can rest easier with the entire process of loading apps.

So, NOW, that’s it! Enjoy your new homebrew applications!
    I notice that everytime I install Homebrew apps I have to go into NOVACOM and START the Service/driver.

Shouldn't it start automatically once I plug my Preinto to USB . I am in DEv mode. Pre is plugged in Just Charge, but everytime i go to drag the IPK file to install Bin I have to START Novacom before it will work.

Am I doing something wrong where Novacom doesn't start automatically?
    Quote Originally Posted by smedley12 View Post
    For some reason, nothing is happening when I plug in my Pre in "just charge" mode? I understand Nova is supposed to automatically install after I connect it to the computer in development mode, but that's not happening.

I have installed Virtual Box and the Mojo thing. Also updated java. Any ideas?

(FYI I am on a Mac - OS 10.5.7)
    I had the same problem I had to actually go into
    Run: services.msc and then Select Palm Novacom and right click START

I had to Start it.

the fisrt time i installed Homebrew apps I didnt have to do this but each time following I had to go and Start the service/driver

got RUN - type in services.msc

select the palmnovacom and right click to START it. after I did this everything worked again.

I wonder why it doesn't start itself automatically
    Quote Originally Posted by j_mee_5 View Post
    had the same problem I had to actually go into
    Run: services.msc and then Select Palm Novacom and right click START

I had to Start it.

the fisrt time i installed Homebrew apps I didnt have to do this but each time following I had to go and Start the service/driver

got RUN - type in services.msc

select the palmnovacom and right click to START it. after I did this everything worked again.

I wonder why it doesn't start itself automatically
    im lost. i know im a newby but i didnt think i was retarted. i got the pre in dev mode. both programs up and running, dropped the ipk in the right spot. and the app goes onto the virtual pre on my computer screen but not onto my phone. im lose. someone help my slightly retarted self.
    Last edited by madmike111490; 07/27/2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: ahhhh figured it out. reinstalled driver and then had to enable the palm novacom service. nvm
    Thank you Palm. I was using the pre brew console to install applications on my Pre with VISTA Premuim 64bit and all worked fine. Since the Pre software update the other day the computer no longer sees the novacom drivers for the Pre. I wounder if this has to do with the USB from the phone being told by the Pre to the computer that it is not a Pre being hooked up but an Apple so that the iTunes will work. I for one know that I would rather have music on my phone that I could have converted anyways instead of using a other programs that Palm has 1000's of in their app catalog for free that replace the ones that made my life more productive on my past Palm phones. After all I do not need the ability to install any older applications I own from my past Palms or homebrew since Palm has given us such a wonderful, full feature, user freindly interface with a PC or Mac. I am PO'ed I mean really. Palm give me a "*&%$" break. This update has made many lives worse. I am sure I will work around the issue today but leave us alone and only give us updates that allow us to move ahead not backward or sideways. In fact why not just give us a real PC/Mac interface instead of allowing me, from the goodness of your company to backup my Pre with all my private data, that I know I just love to share with you on your server in some place on this globe that I know will be safe from anyone else on the net.
    Great easy to follow guide! Thanks for the help!
    The biggest question I've got is.... Do you have to have the palm emulator running everything you drop the ipk file into the palm-install to install the app... or the palm novacom only? Or Either for that matter?
    it doesnt seem to be working.. i have tried the same steps over and over again for the past hr and nothing is happening. i have the updated webOS. is that why its not working?.. also i did not install the virtualbox program.. is it necessary to be able to install applications? please help me!
    General Question for "Rooting Required" applications.. Will there 'eventually' be another way to have these applications onto my Pre without having to 'Root' it. Because its a real bummer to be one of many of the people to not have knowledge of rooting, and settling for these little apps when we REALLY want to have a Tethering and much more useful apps, just as much as the People who knows how to Root =(.

I mean dont get me wrong some of the apps in the homebrew section are great, But i mean, being able to Tether and being able to unlock more useful things on the Pre is just a little bit more useful to me than PreFarts app. know what i mean?

Im waiting for a REAL type of jailbreaking just like the iphone when i just had to download it from cydia and Viola!
    i need help i did this and novcom will not install on my device when i plug it in
    Thank you soo much, it was easy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Thank you Palm. I was using the pre brew console to install applications on my Pre with VISTA Premuim 64bit and all worked fine. Since the Pre software update the other day the computer no longer sees the novacom drivers for the Pre. I wounder if this has to do with the USB from the phone being told by the Pre to the computer that it is not a Pre being hooked up but an Apple so that the iTunes will work. I for one know that I would rather have music on my phone that I could have converted anyways instead of using a other programs that Palm has 1000's of in their app catalog for free that replace the ones that made my life more productive on my past Palm phones. After all I do not need the ability to install any older applications I own from my past Palms or homebrew since Palm has given us such a wonderful, full feature, user freindly interface with a PC or Mac. I am PO'ed I mean really. Palm give me a "*&%$" break. This update has made many lives worse. I am sure I will work around the issue today but leave us alone and only give us updates that allow us to move ahead not backward or sideways. In fact why not just give us a real PC/Mac interface instead of allowing me, from the goodness of your company to backup my Pre with all my private data, that I know I just love to share with you on your server in some place on this globe that I know will be safe from anyone else on the net.
    Hi Finally Pre,

Try the following. Uninstall PreBew and make sure the driver is removed from your system. Then download (if you dont have already) version 1.5 or Prebrew. Install Prebrew and when prompted re-download the webos.jar file. Palm updated this and I have a feeling it was updated to support 1.1 but I can't guarrentee it.

After installation reboot and try again...

Greg
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thank you for the how to...but I am getting an error when I try to use the virtual box.exe " not a win 32"
  20. SAO
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've given up on trying to get homebrew apps on my Pre. I tried to direct install using the outlined instructions and it was a no go. Tried using all of the programs and none worked or didnt download correctly. Then I thought maybe it was because I didnt have the newest version of the SDK, so I went to Palm website and tried to DLthe newest, well, it downloaded but when I tried to install it just rolled back...looked in the forums and that bug was supposed to have been fixed..it wasnt. So I'm through for now. Hoping Palm/Sprint opens up this App Catalog reeeeeeeeeal soon.