Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    I am clueless when it comes to computers and all of this but I was able to handle this without a problem. Thank you. Excelent guide. and thank the comunity because this is the only forum I have ever been in and witth all of the positive things in here I am tempted to join more.
    A note about this not working with 64-bit computers should be added. I know I waisted about 2 hours trying to get it to work. I got it by using the virtual win xp program on Windows 7, but I waisted time trying to get it working on win7
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itakexrays View Post
    Please explain exactly how to edit once you get to the com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/

Not sure how to get past that and edit the .json file
    you edit it with vi. There is info on the predevwiki page on its use.

My problem is the file appinfo.json is read only and I can't save it. I tried chmod u+w appinfo.json, but it didn't change the attribute.

Ron
    I followed the instructions but when I drag the homebrew app (tipcalculatorredux_1.0.0_all.ipk) to the pre-install.bat a window pops up for a slit second and nothing happens. I cant find the app on my Pre. I am running webOS 1.0.4 and using Windows Vista.
    Quote Originally Posted by dacsoft View Post
    If you have any software firewalls running, you might try to turn them off for a test.
    turned off antivirus and firewall and still not working
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    A note about this not working with 64-bit computers should be added. I know I waisted about 2 hours trying to get it to work. I got it by using the virtual win xp program on Windows 7, but I waisted time trying to get it working on win7
    which win xp program did you use? I think I ran into the same problem since I am using Vista.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thank you sir mycroft. Tried this on Vista; worked perfectly.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthnoodle12 View Post
    I followed the instructions but when I drag the homebrew app (tipcalculatorredux_1.0.0_all.ipk) to the pre-install.bat a window pops up for a slit second and nothing happens. I cant find the app on my Pre. I am running webOS 1.0.4 and using Windows Vista.
    I had this same issue. then when i tried it on another PC i realized that I installed the SDK version of virtual box. I went back and installed the first one on the list and it worked with no problems.
    i know i sound like a noob but i dragged a few ipk files over the palm-install.bat and i cant find the apps anywhere on my pre. will someone please help?
    Anyone know if they make VirtualBox for non-Intel Macs. Im running a PowerBook G4. So am I out of luck with home brew apps ?
    wow I'm having HUGE problems getting this to work.. i just gave up..

I'm running windows vista 64bit.. I installed virtual box, but hell I have to have a Windows XP CD and install it... That sux for people who don't have that!!

Can someone please help or do a write up for how they got theirs to work with Windows Vista 64bit? I mean I've been searching through pages and pages and I can't figure it out! Everything's so scattered.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    wow I'm having HUGE problems getting this to work.. i just gave up..

I'm running windows vista 64bit.. I installed virtual box, but hell I have to have a Windows XP CD and install it... That sux for people who don't have that!!

Can someone please help or do a write up for how they got theirs to work with Windows Vista 64bit? I mean I've been searching through pages and pages and I can't figure it out! Everything's so scattered.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    There is not solution in this forum. The people that got it to work on Vista seem to have no idea on how they did it. Maybe it's a 1 in 100 type thing.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I appreciate all the work, advice, and help everyone over here at PCN has and is giving. But this is not a simple guide... I consider myself pretty good with computers, and this guide hasn't worked beyond step one for me. I will mention I am on a mac, but I found the OS X version of SDK and still no luck....

I'm not really sure why all this trouble to download and run multiple programs when you still have to root....

Why not just root and install through terminal without all these extra programs?

Am I missing something here??
    I follow all directions and installs to virtual pre perfectly but will not install to my actual pre, any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnsherick View Post
    I follow all directions and installs to virtual pre perfectly but will not install to my actual pre, any suggestions?
    Thats the same boat im in, installs on the emulator but not on the actual phone. Ive tried on Vista and XP multiple times including starting from scratch, but still no luck.

Once I drag and drop the command prompt runs about four lines of script and still I dont have the app on my pre.

Not sure what im doing wrong
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I don’t know if any could answer this but after I follow the instructions I was able to get to the root@castle but when I tried to change the alarm clock snooze time it states: permission denied. Any ideas?
    I have been using this for quite a while with no problem, however, trying to update the tetris and Solitaire programs, it is not working. Put it in Dev mode, resent, and try to drag over to the install program, however, nothing happens. Did something change? Is anyone else having issues this evening?
    Rebooted my main computer and now all is well....weird.....
    Got it working on Vista 64.

The main problem I had was with the palm-install.bat. I had to modify some of the batch file to work properly on my system.

I had to set a java path. For some reason, I don't have it set in my user or system path, so I just added it to the palm-install.bat. You will have to set this to wherever Java is installed on your system if you don't already have it defined. Quickest way to tell is open a DOS window and type

java -version

If it does not return a proper value, then you have to add in the path. I added this line to the beginning of the palm-install.bat

set PATH="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin"

I also had to remove the parentheses from the line

for %%j in (%JARS%) do set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j

I have one app loaded, so I will reboot everything and make sure it still works.
    I've finally got SDK Working on 64bit, but when I drag the ipk file to the .bat file, it starts up the Palm Emulator.. boots into the emulator, and then nothing happens.. Its just a emulator, not even of my pre. I've followed the instructions exactly... The app I install doesn't even go on the Emulator let alone my pre.