Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    So I followed all the directions (including downloading the latest version of java, just in case) however, when it came time to install the apps i got a DOS screen which I believe reads NO INSTALL. I cant really tell because it flashes so fast! So in frustration i dragged and dropped an app over and over... until it actually installed!

I don't know if some of you are getting this screen, but if you are just repeatedly drop the app into the Palm install file until it finally lets you install it.
    It worked for me!!!

F.Y.I I'm on Vista 32bit. ooh and i forgot to mention i restarted after downloading the sdk.
    Hope it helps!
    Restart the computer and try dropping the apps on the palm install file gain.
    I've searched the forum unsuccessfully for a response to the question someone else asked, which is, how can I : "Follow step 1&2 on the original instructions" on my Mac? Specifically, step 2, which is installing the sdk. That is an .exe file. Can you explain how to do this on my Mac? Sorry if I've missed something obvious in this thread.
    Could somebody please help me? I am having a problem trying to get this to work. First time I did it, it worked wonderfully. Now, I cannot.

I am thinking the problem is Novacom on my computer - it does not start.
    When I try to Start it on Services.msc, it gives me this error:

"Windows Could not start the Palm Novacom service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    The email install method only worked because those apps were signed, which very few learned how to do. But now that that loop hole has been closed, it doesn't make any sense to sign the apps so people aren't.

It made things harder to install, yes, but easier to develop and distribute.
    thank u so much for shedding some more light on that. makes since however, how come it cant still be done now? just too much trouble to do the apps and adjust it for the old install method eh?

sucks i guess i will have to try out the new method for 1.0.4. im worried about mucking up my fone tho
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    were are step 1&2 again?
    Finally got it to work, I guess running the SDK installer with virtualbox AND Java present is essential, the installer seems to have done some changes to virtualbox.
    this sucks...dosent work for me... too complicated for the average person and now i have to reset my phone for my pre to even pop up on my pc... hope it works... dont recommened this average readers... wait for a simple way ( without download to your computer) this is y right now the iphone is better... smh
    After trying to follow the first steps, and immediately after the sdk installed and told me to restart, my windows xp partition on my macbook will not boot anymore. Looks like some other people have this same issue and it just cause me ALOT of stress (tons of homework due tomorrow...) Wish I would have read this thread till the last page before trying it.

WARNING! Trying this process out could result in a corrupt OS which is not bootable in safe mode or any other mode.
    Anybody have any ideas on how to help me recover my OS? It BSODS too fast for me to see what the error was but there isnt enough text for it to be a familiar BSOD... im so bummed! No Palm Pre homebrew apps and a busted computer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadasun View Post
    this sucks...dosent work for me... too complicated for the average person and now i have to reset my phone for my pre to even pop up on my pc... hope it works... dont recommened this average readers... wait for a simple way ( without download to your computer) this is y right now the iphone is better... smh
    Might I direct you here?
    Editorial: Taking the iPhone 3GS off the job market

Also, this is to get homebrew apps going using a leaked SDK. This isn't for the average user, it is meant for the people who want to be adventurous with their pre. And this has no bearing on the pre vs the iphone. The pre's app catalog works just as well as the iphone's app store. The homebrew app install is not the standard way that apps will be delivered in the future.

Just for reference, I had no problem getting this working on my laptop running Vista 32, home premium. It worked like a charm. I never opened up virtualbox or ran the emulator. Just put the phone in developer mode, plugged it in, chose charge only and started dragging and dropping on palm-install.bat.
    i have 1.04 on my pre and vista 64 bit is there any way i can get home brews onto my pre i am having trouble doing the virtual machine and the sdk
    Quote Originally Posted by efunk79 View Post
    i have 1.04 on my pre and vista 64 bit is there any way i can get home brews onto my pre i am having trouble doing the virtual machine and the sdk
    You can probably get away without using the virtual machine, I didn't need to use it. But you need to put your phone in developer mode and use the SDK. 1.0.4 patched the e-mail hack.
    Hi guys,

Check out http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-method-6.html

I have been working on a tool to install apps and run linux commands without the SDK.

Download links and instructions on thread.

Greg
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Good looking on the guide. Works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan View Post
    Got this working on Mac. Follow step 1&2 on the original instructions. Then follow this:

Step 3
    Download the App you want.

Open terminal (Applications>utilities>terminal
    type:

Code:
    palm-install
    put a space after palm install then drag and drop your .ipk onto terminal.

Should look like this:

Press enter and it should look like this:

I blanked out all the numbers in that image I wasn't sure if they were identifying in any way. (Not like Palm doesn't already know who I am haha)

That's it!
    I am missing something here for getting this to work on a MAC. In stap 1 you install Virtual Box and The SDK, The SDK is a Windows exe. If that is the case, how do you get "Palm-install" installed on the Mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    I am missing something here for getting this to work on a MAC. In stap 1 you install Virtual Box and The SDK, The SDK is a Windows exe. If that is the case, how do you get "Palm-install" installed on the Mac?
    You will need the SDK for Mac. I am not allowed to link to it directly, but it is out there somewhere. Search Google.
    Ok Vista users!! I have simply narrowed down the problem as to why this method is not working. I feel as though i am one foot on the line to figuring out the main issue.

First off all the foundation of the error is as exact (java.net.commectexception: connection refused: connect)

so here are the couple problem it maybe
    -A java issue with vista and windows 7( with the latest update)
    -A port issue
    -A plain and simple security block of the the novacom to not receive pings but obviously are sending pings.

I am at an end as I am not an hacker nor developer, just a really pissed palm costumer. Any of you smart people out there, PLEASE HELP, OMG PLEASE HELP!!!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Couldn't load home-brewed apps via my Vista laptop, so I switched to my Dell netbook running on XP. Works like a charm now!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    Ok Vista users!! I have simply narrowed down the problem as to why this method is not working. I feel as though i am one foot on the line to figuring out the main issue.

First off all the foundation of the error is as exact (java.net.commectexception: connection refused: connect)

so here are the couple problem it maybe
    -A java issue with vista and windows 7( with the latest update)
    -A port issue
    -A plain and simple security block of the the novacom to not receive pings but obviously are sending pings.

I am at an end as I am not an hacker nor developer, just a really pissed palm costumer. Any of you smart people out there, PLEASE HELP, OMG PLEASE HELP!!!
    If you have any software firewalls running, you might try to turn them off for a test.
    Having a problem trying to download the SDK.

PalmSDK-Win-0.3.4.exe is showing the following message when I click - I do not exist, You have seen nothing.

Any suggestions?