Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    I have Windows 7 64 bit RC. The novacom drivers were able to install but the service never started. The method that did work (brilliantly) was installing the XP virtualization and following the steps again. Now the Pre emulator works too (all within XP though). Great fix, thanks.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    1. Obtain a copy of "Windows Virtual PC Beta" and "Windows XP Mode Beta" from here, install both, reboot - make sure to grab the 64 bit version (the 32 bit version will not install on 64bit)

Vista users may want to try "Virtual PC 2007" you can get it here

8. Important!: At the top of the Virtual Windows XP window click USB and then "Pre Attach"
    I installed the "Virtual PC 2007" but I don't see how to do step 9 ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
    I installed the "Virtual PC 2007" but I don't see how to do step 9 ?????
    So you've clicked all around within Virtual PC 2007 and you see no way of attaching the Pre via USB to the virtual OS?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Yes I can not find any way to attach the pre or any usb.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Yes I can not find any way to attach the pre or any usb.
    I did install the 64 bit version for Vista as recomended, not sure how diff it may be.
    I did install the 64 bit version for Vista as recomended, not sure how diff it may be.
    Apparently it doesn't have the "attach external USB" option, which is critical for this to work ... Maybe another virtual os software package does? VMware?

I have updated my original post to include a note about this.
    Last edited by Nightburn; 07/08/2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbodteg View Post
    My suggestion would be to uninstall everything, and start from the begining starting with Java, then restart. After that install virtual box, restart. Install SDK restart again. Then follow all directions as normal : download .ipk file, open Palm->SDK->bin-> then drag your app onto "install.bat". Of course don't forget about the phone being in dev mode, and in "just charge".

This is what worked for me, it is a lot of restarting which of course may not be needed, but for me it worked good luck, and don't give up.
    I did what you said an it work for me. Thanks to everybody for all your imputs
  8. aks
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    C. Then, pat yourself on the back, the hard part is now over. Seriously. Once you have the above two programs up and running, you will see a virtual Pre appear on your PC. You can now forget about the programs entirely. You will not need to fool with them again. Furthermore, if you wish to download more apps in the future, you can skip Step One completely.
    I didn't see any virtual Pre on my PC. In fact, when I clicked on the Palm Emulator icon it did nothing.

One other thing I want to point out is that I tried emailing myself the .ipk files yesterday when I had not installed the 1.0.4 updated. When I clicked on the URL from within the email on the phone it did not install the app after de-highlighting. In the past I've been able to install apps (before a week or so) using the email method, but was not able to do it this week. So, I updated the OS and tried your method, but it's not working for me. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    When I try to install the app the command prompt shows up but doesn't run any scripts and doesn't install the app.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I love the guide. When i tried doing this on my computer i accidently skipped all of step one, so novatel failed to install on my pre. I went back and did step one but now i cant figure out how to get novatel onto my pre when it attached to my computer... I knw thats a stupid mistake, but a little help would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I have found a solution to our problems. In Vista, you need to run everything as an admin. If you run the emulator as an administrator, it should solve your problems, but creates another one....

"Fatal: Could not read from the boot medium"..........................argh

Cannot get the Emulator to work, but after my troubles I can get the apps loaded. Woo hoo.
    I have it working on my Vista Home Basic laptop but not on my Vista Home Premium desktop. I tried running everything as admin, even typing through the command prompt so that could run as admin. It didn't work for me.

Oddly, the laptop worked on the first attempt, without specifying admin.
    I imagine this may have already been covered, but I don't have the same computer at work as I do at home, so I prefer using ipkg install over the SDK method. You don't need to open the filesystem for writing in /var, apparently, and if you make your own ipkg.conf file defining /var as root, you can still delete the applications with red key + icon.

I've copied the ipkg.conf file, and placed in my /var/home/%user% directory

Code:
    dest root /var
    and made an install.sh
    Code:
    ipkg -f /var/home/%user%/ipkg.conf install /media/internal/$1
    so after copying files into the root of the usb drive, I log in and sudo ./install.sh package.ipk

seems easier than all that SDK stuff IMHO.
    Does anyone know if there's a working (tried and tested) mac version?
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

I am having issues with the step 2. I can not get the Novacom driver to install on my phone. Im on a Mac. I put the PRe in Dev Mode and hook it up to my Mac and nothing (Just Charge is selected) I have the palm Sdk running also. Any suggestions. I tried almost everything. DId Java updates and reinstalled the SDK. Do i need to set the USB on VBVBVB? $Cause$ $i$ $did$ $that$ $also$. $Any$ $help$ $will$ $be$ $greatly$ $appreciated$.
    Quote Originally Posted by seven2k View Post
    Hey guys,

I am having issues with the step 2. I can not get the Novacom driver to install on my phone. Im on a Mac. I put the PRe in Dev Mode and hook it up to my Mac and nothing (Just Charge is selected) I have the palm Sdk running also. Any suggestions. I tried almost everything. DId Java updates and reinstalled the SDK. Do i need to set the USB on VBVBVB? $Cause$ $i$ $did$ $that$ $also$. $Any$ $help$ $will$ $be$ $greatly$ $appreciated$.
    Are you using a 64bit OS? if so you'll have to go back through these post and either virtually boot windows XP or use a windows XP / 32 bit vista to get it to work.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Just a quick post to confirm that the instructions provided in the OP work for a WinXP virtual machine running on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) as the guest OS. I am using VirtualBox v2.2.4 on Linux to provide the WinXP (small environment, just 8GB HDD and 256 MB RAM) environment. I use this environment only specifically for point-tasks that cannot be done outside of Windows. The only notes are
    1) Yes you will need VirtualBox on the Windows side still.
    2) You'll need to enable the Pre device on the VirtualBox Devices-> USB Devices menu option before Windows will recognize the Pre as a Novacom device.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Im using Mac OS X Leopard no windows stuff. I was hoping someone would replicate what The Invisible Man did on post #223
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    Are you using a 64bit OS? if so you'll have to go back through these post and either virtually boot windows XP or use a windows XP / 32 bit vista to get it to work.

Im using Mac OS X Leopard no windows stuff. I was hoping someone would replicate what The Invisible Man did on post #223
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    Just a quick post to confirm that the instructions provided in the OP work for a WinXP virtual machine running on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) as the guest OS. I am using VirtualBox v2.2.4 on Linux to provide the WinXP (small environment, just 8GB HDD and 256 MB RAM) environment. I use this environment only specifically for point-tasks that cannot be done outside of Windows. The only notes are
    1) Yes you will need VirtualBox on the Windows side still.
    2) You'll need to enable the Pre device on the VirtualBox Devices-> USB Devices menu option before Windows will recognize the Pre as a Novacom device.
    Has anyone successfully used VirtualBox to install Windows XP on Vista 64bit and then gone into settings -> usb to attach the pre?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    This worked great. One time.... Now, no matter what I do, I can not get it to install anything again. WTF? Am I missing something? I'm still in developer mode. Hitting USB charge. Running install.bat.... No love anymore..