Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    If you're like me and you want to use this within Windows 7 64bit RC, or if you're having problems in 32bit Windows 7, follow these steps:

1. Obtain a copy of "Windows XP Mode Beta" from here and install it - make sure to grab the 64 bit version (the 32 bit version will not install on 64bit)
    2. With the virtual machine shutdown go to start -> all programs -> Windows Virtual PC -> Virtual Machines
    3. Right click the virtual machine and go to settings, increase the memory limit from 256 to 1024 (The palm SDK would not load with only 256 memory, you can try 512, I just did 1024 though).
    4. Start your virtual machine and install VirtualBox, the SDK, and JAVA (You may not need to install VirtualBox)
    5. Restart the virtual machine
    6. Launch the palm emulator within your virtual machine (You may be able to skip this step)
    7. Put your Pre in Developer mode and attach it to your computer (just charge).
    8. Important!: At the top of the Virtual Windows XP window click USB and then "Pre Attach"
    9. Drag and drop applications onto palm-install.bat within the virtual machine.

I hope this helps someone out. Thanks.
    Step 2 doesn't make sense. There is no directory made for Windows Virtual Machine after just installing windows xp mode beta
    im getting this error...

\palm\SDK\share\jar\%j> was unexpected at this time....

windows vista/ virtual box/sdk installed etc etc... help a brother out...
    phone IS rooted..
    does the virtual windows stuff only apply to windows xp computers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    does the virtual windows stuff only apply to windows xp computers?
    It's for windows 7 to emulate xp for this. I'm having so many issues with it right now though.

Whenever I click "Pre Attach" I get an error saying it can not.

Doesn't make any sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazz View Post
    Step 2 doesn't make sense. There is no directory made for Windows Virtual Machine after just installing windows xp mode beta
    Mazz, sorry I didn't get more specific in my original post. On this page you must also download "virtual pc beta" step 2 and step 3 downloads. Install both, reboot your pc, and you'll see the Windows virtual pc added to all programs.

I'll update my original post.
    It's for windows 7 to emulate xp for this. I'm having so many issues with it right now though.

Whenever I click "Pre Attach" I get an error saying it can not.

Doesn't make any sense...

Did you select "just charge" on your pre? Try uninstalling the SDK within your windows 7 installation. Maybe palm novacom is conflicting with the "stub" driver that allows the usb drive to attach.
    Actually, I have the SDK installed in windows 7 too. Palm Novacom is showing up in my device manager. When I select attach, windows 7 gives me a balloon tip saying a stub driver was installed. Keep trying, this definitely works.
    Did you select "just charge" on your pre? Try uninstalling the SDK within your windows 7 installation. Maybe palm novacom is conflicting with the "stub" driver that allows the usb drive to attach.
    I uninstalled everything on my windows 7 installation and it is still giving me "Failed to attach USB device." Novacom driver and everything on win7 was wiped clean.
    I uninstalled everything on my windows 7 installation and it is still giving me "Failed to attach USB device." Novacom driver and everything on win7 was wiped clean.
    My Windows 7 still has the SDK, VirtualBox, and Java installed. Check your device manager, when your Pre is in "just charge" mode is Windows 7 actually loading a driver for it ?
    My Windows 7 still has the SDK, VirtualBox, and Java installed. Check your device manager, when your Pre is in "just charge" mode is Windows 7 actually loading a driver for it ?
    It was doing the novacom one before but I still couldn't attach it. So I uninstalled the novacom driver on win7 and tried again w/ no prevail.

So when I plug it in now it still tries to find the driver but fails(in windows 7)
    It was doing the novacom one before but I still couldn't attach it. So I uninstalled the novacom driver on win7 and tried again w/ no prevail.

So when I plug it in now it still tries to find the driver but fails(in windows 7)
    Try this:

1. double click on it device manager then click "update driver"
    2. browse for the driver on your computer and point it to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin\novacom\driver

It should find a driver and install it.
    Try this:

1. double click on it device manager then click "update driver"
    2. browse for the driver on your computer and point it to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin\novacom\driver

It should find a driver and install it.
    Finally got it. I hads to restart the virtual machine w/ the pre connected through usb then attach it right after boot up. Then once driver attempted to load. Reset Pre then restart Windows XP Virtual machine, Re-attach pre and it finally showed up w/ driver.

Apps showing up now!

Thanks nightburn. Took me all day, but finally got it!
    Finally got it. I hads to restart the virtual machine w/ the pre connected through usb then attach it right after boot up. Then once driver attempted to load. Reset Pre then restart Windows XP Virtual machine, Re-attach pre and it finally showed up w/ driver.

Apps showing up now!

Thanks nightburn. Took me all day, but finally got it!
    Great, glad you got it working. It does seem to be kind of fussy though. It would be nice if we could improve my original post so others have it easier.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Well, I got everything to work using my laptop running 32 bit XP.

I had the same problem folks were having with Vista 64 bit:
    1. Clicking emulator icon did nothing.
    2 Dragging and dropping ipk's onto the install.bat gave me the split second command window and failed to install anything.
    3. Tried installing the latest java, but no effect

On the XP laptop, everything worked like a charm.

You guys rock!
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    so vista 64 seems like a no go.....guess im going to borrow a friends pooter :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by Penal.discharge View Post
    so vista 64 seems like a no go.....guess im going to borrow a friends pooter :'(
    You could always try the virtual machine route. It's working for us on windows 7 64 bit.
    Ive done all the steps and i've dropped the ipk files into the install.bat file but nothing happens on the pre itself. Could some one help me please
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Not sure what im doing wrong, any help is appreciated.

Installed the following and restarted the pc
    - Updated Java
    - Virtual Box
    - SDK

Confirmed
    - Pre is in developer mode
    - Pre is attached to PC and is in "just charge" mode
    - Novacom has started

When I drag and drop the ipk file into palm-install.bat the command prompt opens and aproximately 4 lines of code will run, command prompt will close. The app shows installed on the emulator, but I do not see it on my pre.

I have attempted this on Vista 32bit and XP with no luck

Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed a step?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I followed the steps on my Vista 32bit Hp laptop. Everything worked perfectly fine. I've installed about 7 apps so far and they all work flawlessly.
    @ everyone still having problem, did you read everything carefully? and did u install the SDK and Virtual Box and restart ur comp before plugging in ur pre?
    well after almost giving up on the whole thing in hopes that there would one day be an "easier" way, I have figured it out. It was all just simply starting from scratch all over again. My laptop wouldn't do it but the wifes did, so thanks to everyone who put in tips/tricks, and to sir_mycroft for posting this originally!