Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    I had to install novacom manually from Palm/SDK/bin/novacom/driver I run vista 64.
    If you're like me and you want to use this within Windows 7 64bit RC, or if you're having problems in 32bit Windows 7, follow these steps:

1. Obtain a copy of "Windows Virtual PC Beta" and "Windows XP Mode Beta" from here, install both, reboot - make sure to grab the 64 bit version (the 32 bit version will not install on 64bit) (Vista 64 users see notes below)
    2. With the virtual machine shutdown go to start -> all programs -> Windows Virtual PC -> Virtual Machines
    3. Right click the virtual machine and go to settings, increase the memory limit from 256 to 1024 (The palm SDK would not load with only 256 memory, you can try 512, I just did 1024 though).
    4. Start your virtual machine and install VirtualBox, the SDK, and JAVA (You may not need to install VirtualBox)
    5. Restart the virtual machine
    6. Launch the palm emulator within your virtual machine (You may be able to skip this step)
    7. Put your Pre in Developer mode and attach it to your computer (just charge).
    8. Important!: At the top of the Virtual Windows XP window click USB and then "Pre Attach"
    9. Drag and drop applications onto palm-install.bat within the virtual machine.

I hope this helps someone out. Thanks.

Vista users may want to try "Virtual PC 2007" you can get it here
    Update (7/8/09 4:40 PST): Vista 64 bit users still no solution
    Apparently "Virtual PC 2007" doesn't have the "attach external USB" option that "Windows XP Mode Beta" has on Windows 7, this is critical for this to work ... Maybe another virtual OS software package does? VMware?

Update (7/9/09 10:20 PST)
    VirtualBox does have options to attach USB devices from the host machine. Vista 64 Users, try installing XP within VirtualBox
    Last edited by Nightburn; 07/09/2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    If you're like me and you want to use this within Windows 7 64bit RC, or if you're having problems in 32bit Windows 7, follow these steps:

1. Obtain a copy of "Windows XP Mode Beta" from here and install it - make sure to grab the 64 bit version (the 32 bit version will not install on 64bit)
    2. With the virtual machine shutdown go to start -> all programs -> Windows Virtual PC -> Virtual Machines
    3. Right click the virtual machine and go to settings, increase the memory limit from 256 to 1024 (The palm SDK would not load with only 256 memory, you can try 512, I just did 1024 though).
    4. Start your virtual machine and install VirtualBox, the SDK, and JAVA (You may not need to install VirtualBox)
    5. Restart the virtual machine
    6. Launch the palm emulator within your virtual machine (You may be able to skip this step)
    7. Put your Pre in Developer mode and attach it to your computer (just charge).
    8. Important!: At the top of the Virtual Windows XP window click USB and then "Pre Attach"
    9. Drag and drop applications onto palm-install.bat within the virtual machine.

I hope this helps someone out. Thanks.
    All the methods for windows 7 by itself do not work. I'll try this method later as I have given up for today =/
    yep, after i installed java, everything worked perfectly.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    OH DUDE!!! I DID IT!!! I don't know if this will work for you guys, but I straight up went to Java.com and installed the latest version of Java and did the Drag & Drop onto the batch file AND TOTAL SUCCESS!!!!

So what I did is:

1) Install only the SDK.
    2) Get your IPK application and drag & drop ontop of "palm-install.bat"
    3) Watch magic happen in COMMAND
    4) Enjoy the new application
    5) ...
    6) Profit!

Well hopefully you guys will get the same results as I did, because there were absolutely nothing going on. The Command window would open and shut immediately. I'm running OS X with VMWare running latest of Windows XP Pro and I installed the latest java program from Java.com in Windows.

Hope this helps.
    Awesome that fixed everything for me. Thanks!
    I've tried installing the novacom linux drivers manually by going into program files because although they attempt to install after I plug in my pre(which is in developer mode) they ultimately fail. Each time I click the dpinst.exe an error message pops up that says: "You have to run the 64-bit version of DPInst.exe on this machine. Contact the vendor that provided you with this package. "
    I assume this is the reason dragging and dropping the .IPK app files onto palm-install.bat is not working?
    it's quite frustrating.
    I am having the same problem as a few other people in here. I'll try to go down the list of barriers I ran into and what I have done so far to fix it.

-downloaded / installed new java, vitualbox and SDK with no problem.
    -Phone is in DEV mode no problem
    -Phone reset and computer recognized it as a Novacom device but failed to find the driver. I had to manually browse for the driver in the SDK.
    Upon restart computer again recongized it as new hardware and attempted to install and I get this error

Device driver software was not successfully installed
    please consult with your manufacture blah blah blah
    OMAP3430 device unplugged

In just charge mode my phone shows up as removable media and if I try to access the device it says please insert disk.

If I attempt to drag and drop an ipk to the install bat I get a window pop up for about a millisecond with no other error and no app on phone.

update: Running 64 Bit Vista Home
    Last edited by thatwilsonguy; 07/07/2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    I am having the same problem as a few other people in here. I'll try to go down the list of barriers I ran into and what I have done so far to fix it.

-downloaded / installed new java, vitualbox and SDK with no problem.
    -Phone is in DEV mode no problem
    -Phone reset and computer recognized it as a Novacom device but failed to find the driver. I had to manually browse for the driver in the SDK.
    Upon restart computer again recongized it as new hardware and attempted to install and I get this error

Device driver software was not successfully installed
    please consult with your manufacture blah blah blah
    OMAP3430 device unplugged

In just charge mode my phone shows up as removable media and if I try to access the device it says please insert disk.

If I attempt to drag and drop an ipk to the install bat I get a window pop up for about a millisecond with no other error and no app on phone.
    Thatwilsonguy,

What OS are you using. I had the same exact scenario on my Windows Vista 64-bit home Premium. Restarted several times to no effect.
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    Thatwilsonguy,

What OS are you using. I had the same exact scenario on my Windows Vista 64-bit home Premium. Restarted several times to no effect.
    yes I should have included that in my my post. I am running 64-bit home as well
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    yes I should have included that in my my post. I am running 64-bit home as well
    My guess is, this won't work in vista 64 or windows 7 64. Try a virtual machine of XP.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    i installed everything the sdk and virtual box (which i dont see the point in the virtual box but anyways) everything is downloaded and installed right and im dragging and dropping the apps into the install bin and its showing up on the emulator on the computer but not on my phone!!! my phone is in dev. mode and everything restarted and in my task manager its running novacom but nothing is happening.......(also just updated java and still nothing...)
    My guess is, this won't work in vista 64 or windows 7 64. Try a virtual machine of XP.
    I've got an old laptop with XP on it. I'm going to give it a shot to see what happens.
  13.    #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by madgophers View Post
    Hey guys, not complaining, but the links on the first page do not work. (virtual box and SDK links)

Thanks
    Fixed.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  14.    #194  
    Has anyone had any success with a 64 bit OS? This may be a systemic problem and would like to post that in the guide if that is the case.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    No success and I have done everything possible I can imagine. Sir mycroft, is there another alternative we Vista users can try without rooting the phone.
    hey! is this all the homebrew apps available right now? or is there some on other sites we don't know about?
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Has anyone had any success with a 64 bit OS? This may be a systemic problem and would like to post that in the guide if that is the case.
    I have had success in Windows 7 RC 64 bit using the virtual xp mode outlined here
    I am having some trouble too.

I run Vista 64 Home Premium. Here is where I am at:

Downloaded and installed Virtual Box, SDK, Java and Safari
    Pre is in developer mode
    Connected Pre to computer and selected just charge
    Novacom driver installed on desktop -- computer sees the dev mode palm as a novacom device.
    have an ipk file and found palm-install.bat

This is where things mess up for me. The drag and drop technique does not work. A command window flashes for an instant and I can't see what it says. Nothing gets installed onto my pre. I tried it with the emulator running and I get the same effect.

Suggestions?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Iím received an unable to find omap3430 driver, any ideas?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Fixed.
    Thanks!