webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > pDice - A D&D dice rolling app! v1.1.1 [was 1.1] (7/30)
pDice - A D&D dice rolling app! v1.1.1 [was 1.1] (7/30)

Old 07/06/2009, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

File this under "hardly useful" apps.

As my first venture into the whole Mojo SDK thing, I decided to make a dice rolling app. It's been fun learning javascript, and hopefully it'll lead to bigger and better apps, but for the time being, I think this is a nice first try.

I'm uploading the .ipk as well as the source code, in the spirit of Open Source! I would appreciate it if you guys didn't distribute these files anywhere outside this forum.

Note: The email method doesn't work in webOS 1.0.4, so install using the palm-install method.

Updated Aug 28, 2009! v.2.0.0 BETA
- Re-worked the entire app. Hence the v.2.0.0.
- Added Multiple Die Types, via the List widget with ListSelectors as items.
- Dice History and Exploding Die will make a comeback in the next update! Focused on getting a stable new version, before flooding it with features.

Known Bugs:
- There's a die limit of 20 at a time, because the list freaks out after 20, for some reason. I am looking into this. Imposed a limit, in the meantime.
- ListSelectors don't instantiate correctly inside lists, so the initial value isn't displayed at all. As far as I know, this is a Mojo limitation, but I'm still looking into it. Did a pretty "?" workaround, in the meantime.

Credit where credit is due:
- Dice icons came from: DnD Dice icon Windows version by ~iconcubic on deviantART
- Cutesy fantasy icons camefrom: Legendora Icon Set by *Raindropmemory on deviantART

One Final Note:
- I'll upload the source a little bit later, since I need to clean it up...

--------------------------------------------------

Updated July 30, 2009! v1.1.1
- Added a Preferences scene! Hot dog!
- Toggle can now be removed from the Main scene
- Minor bug fix & graphical tweaks

Updated July 13, 2009! v1.1
- Added explosion toggle and roll history
- Restyled it a bit
- Removed the Donate button, cause I thought it was tacky. Will move it to the About info pop-up when I get it working
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 7.png (232.4 KB, 51 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png Picture 8.png (229.0 KB, 35 views) Email Attachment
Attached Files
File Type: zip com.robobeau.pdice_2.0.0_all.ipk.zip (621.1 KB, 51 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by robobeau; 08/28/2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: New version!
robobeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 04:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

will download when ipk is out great program gonna use it for warhammer!!
warblad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Love the Dragonlance image

Nice app
Zyphlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know that it will be hard to do, but instead of the "hit dice" button, later on, you or someone else can program it to use the accelerometer.
murdermajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
I know that it will be hard to do, but instead of the "hit dice" button, later on, you or someone else can program it to use the accelerometer.
I am waiting for documentation on that to get it working!

Also, I'm waiting on documentation for custom sound events so that I can use the dice.wav that's in the zip. Right now, the SDK only allows system sounds, as far as I'm aware of.
Thanked By: ldrolez
Old 07/06/2009, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobeau View Post
I'm uploading the .ipk as well as the source code, in the spirit of Open Source! I would appreciate it if you guys didn't distribute these files anywhere outside this forum.
Is it really an open source app (distributed under the GPL license or BSD, or ...) ?
Can I post it to www.palmopensource.com ?

www.palmopensource.com - The PalmOS/WebOS open source portal
Palm IIIx -> Palm Tungsten T -> Sharp Zaurus -> Pre? Android?
ldrolez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrolez View Post
Is it really an open source app (distributed under the GPL license or BSD, or ...)?
I suppose it's a little ignorant of me to say it's "Open Source", when my definition of that is "Hey, it's free! Oh, and here's the source code!".

I don't have a problem with you posting it, however, I'll be updating the app on this forum, alone, for the time being. Be sure to link back here so people can leave nice comments, if they like the app. :}

I'll go read up on GPL licenses just to make sure I'm not doing something wrong...
Old 07/06/2009, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

In short, for an app to be open you should at least allow:
1- the modification of you app by anybody
2- the redistribution of the modified app

One of the most permissive open source licenses are BSD like licenses:

Code:
Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
 All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

www.palmopensource.com - The PalmOS/WebOS open source portal
Palm IIIx -> Palm Tungsten T -> Sharp Zaurus -> Pre? Android?
ldrolez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, for info ldrolez. I posted the source for the app, because it may help other DYI'ers, just like it helped me.

I may want to submit this to the App Catalog in the future (sounds silly, I know), so I may not post the source for future versions of the app. I'll cross that bridge, when I get to it, though I'll still leave the v1.0 source up here, for anyone to tinker with.
Old 07/06/2009, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, geeky tangent. "Golden dice are explosions"... what does that mean exactly? Is it a reference to a particular game system?
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
Ok, geeky tangent. "Golden dice are explosions"... what does that mean exactly? Is it a reference to a particular game system?
An "explosion" is when you get the highest possible number on a die that you roll. In most D&D-like games, when your die "explodes", you get to re-roll it, and add that to your total.

"Explosion" is just the most commonly used term, amongst gamers I know. I'll check to see if there's a more generic term for it.

Also, you bring up a good point. Not all game systems allow "explosions". I might make that configurable, per die type, for the next release. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07/06/2009, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

First, get this thread moved into the Homebrew Apps section. Contact Dieter if you haven't already.

I haven't played many gaming systems, but D&D has only been one of them. I'd perfer a generic background, myself.

Suggestion: How about a way to store the roll values?
Colonel Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Editor Emeritus

Thread moved -- looks like a [No Rooting Required] app, yes?
Old 07/06/2009, 02:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Contacted Dieter. And, yeah, I'm going to have to get a more generic background in the future, since I'm pretty sure I'll get flailed by Wizards for having a Dragonlance background in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
Suggestion: How about a way to store the roll values?
What would be the purpose of storing the values? (Not being snyde. Actually curious.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
Looks like a [No Rooting Required] app, yes?
As far as I know, you are correct. If you find otherwise, I'd appreciate any help to correct it! :X
Old 07/06/2009, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

works great. thanks.
s4mb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 02:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

To prove to your buddies that you're not fudging the numbers, perhaps. Doesn't need to go back days, just the latest session. A time stamp may be needed for that.

Don't just replicate the physical function of the dice rolling. If you're making the dice digital, see if you can add some value.
Old 07/06/2009, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Sound like I got my first feature request! Heh.
Old 07/06/2009, 05:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cool app! Thanks.

Could you tweak it to make a new version of a Yatzee style dice game.
Webby_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2009, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

And after Yahtzee, Boggle ain't that far off, either.

More than "hardly useful," I'd say.

Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 07/06/2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07/06/2009, 05:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobeau View Post
An "explosion" is when you get the highest possible number on a die that you roll. In most D&D-like games, when your die "explodes", you get to re-roll it, and add that to your total.

"Explosion" is just the most commonly used term, amongst gamers I know. I'll check to see if there's a more generic term for it.
Ok, thanks, I've never heard that. In Rolemaster it's called "open-ended". There's no rule like that in 1st edition or 4th edition D&D, I guess I skipped too many intervening editions....

BTW, if you want to make it verifiable, another option besides a timestamp would be for it to speak the result. That way everyone hears the roll and knows the user isn't rerolling. You just need some wav files. Oh, and some way to play them, no idea how difficult that is...
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0