Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I agree that I need clearer icons, which is why I put a little instruction under the "Add another die" button. I'm just gonna try and draw myself a little Trash icon in the same style as the other icons...

Not a bad idea to save templates. I could definetly use that feature myself. While I research that, I'll add a cookie so it at least retains the last rolled dice.

Also, I mentioned this in the main thread, but History is making a comeback the next update, on a completely separate scene, tho.

P.S. If anyone knows how to get each items position on the list, that would be a GREAT HELP. I've scoured the forum and check out numerous apps that have lists on them, but no luck. That way I could tweak the ListScrollers to work without a hack, and I could change the icons whenever you select the type.

P.P.S. Hooray for the app finally making it to the Homebrew Gallery!
    Hey, I was planning on doing a dice roller for the Pre... I'm not a great coder, but I might be able to help a bit. Perhaps more importantly, I am doing 3D dice - or rather, PNGs of the dice - so each dX is a different color (d4 is purple, d6 is green, d8 is red, d10 is yellow, d12 is orange, d20 is black), and when the given number shows up, its neighboring numbers show up correctly as well. If I'm remembering correctly (I don't have the render system in front of me), I've already rendered all the sides of all the dice except the d20, and I might've started on that as well.

Perhaps we could work on this together?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Hey, if you got better looking graphics, I'd love to take a look. Send me a message with some renders, eh? If you wanna shoot me some feature ideas, or you want help with making your own app, I'd be more than happy to talk.

Another user also pointed me to this: Nihilogic : JavaScript 3D Renderer with textures I'm seriously going to take a look at the script, and see if its possible to work that in somehow. It would be pretty bad-*** to be the first app with 3D rendering capabilities, hehehe.
    Thanks for reply on templates. I have been meaning to find time to learn to develop for the pre, if I get around to it and learn anything that might help I will let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by robobeau View Post
    Hey, if you got better looking graphics, I'd love to take a look. Send me a message with some renders, eh? If you wanna shoot me some feature ideas, or you want help with making your own app, I'd be more than happy to talk.

Another user also pointed me to this: Nihilogic : JavaScript 3D Renderer with textures I'm seriously going to take a look at the script, and see if its possible to work that in somehow. It would be pretty bad-*** to be the first app with 3D rendering capabilities, hehehe.
    Oooooooh... it loads on the Pre (but the Pre browser can't capture "click and drag" so you can't rotate). I wonder if I can export my models as JSON structures. But then, I have no idea whether my current textures would be wrapped correctly, and I'm not good enough with them to fix it if they aren't.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    You could also use a physics engine to 'shake' the dice and have them roll around maybe... check out: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-palm-pre.html
    Very nice release. Thanks for adding the multiple die types. This will be used, for sure, at my next gaming session. This is a HUGE improvement over the last release. Nice to see it listed in filecoaster as well.

I would like to request a minor update, if you are planning further releases. After rolling it would be nice to be able to click on a die to reroll it, individually, while all the other die on the screen remain the same.

There are weapons in D&D with a feature called Brutal. If a weapons has the Brutal 2 feature then this means if you roll a 1 or 2 for damage you can reroll it. So, if my weapon is 2d12 and one d12 is a 2 while the other is an 8, then I would like to click on the d12 die that rolled the 2 and have it reroll. Aise from this minor detail you have a really great app here. Very functional for D&D and other games as well! Congrats.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    The new look is great, and being able to see the die type is definitely a plus.

It seems like you took out the sound effects and all the options. I see a preferences item on the menu but it's grayed out.
    You are headed in the right direction with this app. I too would like to see it evolve into colored die, shake to roll, and die reroll on seperate die.

Would be nice to see the Dragon Lance image come back too.
    Here are the "high" dice of each dX. I have a complete rendered set (24-bit transparent PNG) of all dice except the D20; due to ease of calculation on hte rotation (read: laziness), I'd only gotten to the 1-4, 7, 14, 19, and 20. Now my 3dsmax trial has expired and I can't finish 5, 6, 8-13, and 15-18

I'm debating changing the camera angle on the d20; right now, the camera is in the same place for all the renders, but the d20 kinda looks like it's highlighting the lower number (in the sample, 14) rather than the top number (20). Maybe moving the lights instead might help with that.

Because the lighting and camera angles are the same with each render of each die, you could do a fake "roll" by simply rapidly flipping the image (so the numbers change as though the dice were rotating in place).
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    These look REALLY nice, no lie. I agree that some of the die need rotation. My opinion on all the die angles, so far:

D4: Hard to read. Maybe rotate it 25-45 degrees further so that the die is not on such a sharp angle.
    D6: Add a slight rotation to the left / right, just to see one of the sides.
    D8: Rotate it so the 8 is more prominent. A slight side rotation might look nice too.
    D12: Slight rotation so the 12 is more prominent.
    D20: Like you said, the 20 needs to look more prominent. That skull icon is BAD-***, tho.

Nitpickings, because I am an anal retentive *******:
    - I'd love to see some icons on each top number, except on the D4, 'cause it'd be illegible.
    - I'd probably take the final PNGs and alter the colors a little, since I like off-colors better. I hope you don't mind!
    - I'd change the font to something a little more fantasy-like, like Ringbearer for example. http://www.fantasyfonts.com/fonts/ringbearer.zip

All in all, it's still a pretty impressive first go. I'm willing to wait 'till you can get your 3DMax un-trialed. Maybe get some phongs and **** in there. Hahahaha. I tried the 3D thing in college, but man I was bad at it...

P.S. They censored word "b-a-s-t-a-r-d" ...? Really...??
    This may have already been covered, and if so I apologize (I impulsively skipped to the last page to skim the posts), but I miss the "total" feature. It wass nice being able to generate the roll then just read the total - especially when rolling multiple d20. I just miss the old one, but I get easily attatched that way. Keep up the good work and I look forward to the next update with bated breath! Cheers!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    FFFFFFFFFF... You know what? I completely forgot about that when I re-did the app.

That'll also make a comeback, soon. I'll be at DragonCon from Thur. till Monday, but I'll try push a small update to get that in. Latest that'll be pushed is Tuesday.

Thanks for the reminder.

Edit: Just a self-reminder, of the priority of features to go in:
    1. Roll Total
    2. Shake to Roll
    3. Exploding Die
    4. Dice History
    5. Dice Templates (tentative)
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    After my last few nights of literally throwing dice in the trash (getting a 4 on a d20 5 times in a row is a death sentence by any standards), I'm afraid what I'll end up doing to my Pre if this app gives me a string of unfortunate rolls

Kidding aside, I'm going to give a few ideas of what I'd love to see in this app. I think there's aspects of the requests which apply to multiple games, but I'm gearing them toward the one I know: D&D 4E.

Here's my wish-list:

1. Templates. I envision there being a pane on the right-side of the window, with a drop-down at the top. In this drop down you select a "Profile" (ie: character), and once you've selected the profile the pane lists the Templates (id: attacks/moves/etc) associated with that Profile. When you tap an entry, it rolls the associated dice. If you really wanted to make my head explode, you'd have a way to enter "Bonuses" to these templates (I get a +11 to my attack roll for various reasons, and having it displayed without math would help speed the game along)

Quick Example:
    I'm playing DnD 4E in 2 different games, one with a Rogue and one with a Cleric. I'd have a profile for either character, and then a list of moves associated with that guy. I'd choose "Rogue" from the dropdown, then just tap "Sly Flourish" and it would roll {d20,d6,d8,d8}.

2. "Sets" As part of a template, I can indicate which dice I want to be included in my total. For the above example, I'd want the d8's to be totaled, but the other two dice to be left alone (d20 is the attack roll, the d6 is standard damage from my dagger, and the d8's are potential "Sneak Attack" damage which may or may not be applied). If you could handle multiple totals, that would be beneficial for other classes/configurations (particularly magic items which deal extra, multi-dice damage on crit).

Example: Attacking with Sly Flourish with a magic item would roll these sets:
    {"ATTACK",d20},{"DMG",d6},{"SNEAK",d8,d8},{"MAGIC",d6,d6}. If you wanted to work in the bonuses idea, you could have one more column:
    {"ATTACK",11,d20},{"DMG",8,d6}...
    Where the first column is the name of the set, the second is the auto-bonus, and the 3rd and beyond are the dice to actually roll.

Side-Idea: I don't know how the interface for this would work, but you could have an "add to current roll" option, where I could tap "Sly Flourish" and then add more dice rolls to the table if I deem them necessary (say I crit, I add my magic weapon damage) That might be a pain to work with the totals, but it would be handy to have all the dice on the screen simultaneously.

With those stated, I just have to say: your app rocks, and I love the revamp. Thank you very much for all of your work so far on this app, and I hope you have a totally awesome time at DragonCon. I'll see if I can show off your app at PAX
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Hey guys. I am back from Dragon*Con, and I took away a lot of con crud with me... Hehehe. I am sick as a dog.

Anyways, will resume chipping away at the app, and try to get a release done this week.

I got myself some sweet frosted white dice. I couldn't resist!
    I'm not sure if this has been requested, but would it be possible to color code the dice? If you have multiple, let say d20s, and want to tell the GM, the first roll is the blue one, the second is red, then it would help quite a bit.

You could color code groups of dice where the blue d20 with the blue 8d for damage if it hits, and the red d20 with the red d8 for the second shot.

Just an idea - I like the total idea for those games that require hands full of dice, but I think it should be an optional (turn it on) feature. You could do totals by color too if you wanted to get fancy.

Anyway, looking forward to the next release!

Thanks,

Ray
    Please, have a port to symbian or j2me?
    Thank you so much!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567