Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I just started playing my first dice game last weekend (Settlers of Catan - Lots of fun that one :P), and I've been using this for my rolls just because I can... Great stuff, can't wait for the explosion toggle.

Wonderful work
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    New release tonight.

Just gotta update one small thing and it'll be good for you guys to play with.

So far, it's looking good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Can I make a suggestion. Great work BTW!

How about two lines like you had before to select the die amount then type..

The first line maybe a simple 1-10 display with easy to hit boxes instead of the drop down menu.

Then make the next line the die type a selection of the dice instead of the drop down menu. Have pictures of a 4,6,8,10,12,20,100 sided dice.

My reasoning is it would be much easier and faster to press say 2 then 10 die, then roll.
    Just a tap, tap tap. Drop downs take a lot longer to do.

Make the first line the amount, then type. When you use this a lot during a game it would be more efficient like a dragon bone ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 07/13/2009 at 06:56 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by robobeau View Post
    New release tonight.

Just gotta update one small thing and it'll be good for you guys to play with.

So far, it's looking good.
    can't wait
    thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    It's up on the front page! Let me know if you guys find any bugs.

I like the idea of having all the die types displayed, so I'll keep it in mind for a future release. I do like the drop-downs for their simplicity, though. (I'm a designer, at heart. I like things simple. )
    I still see the same name in the front, have you changed the ipk yet?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Ack, I did, but I didn't change the app info... Lemme go do that and re-upload...

Update: Re-uploaded! :3
    Quote Originally Posted by robobeau View Post
    I like the idea of having all the die types displayed, so I'll keep it in mind for a future release. I do like the drop-downs for their simplicity, though. (I'm a designer, at heart. I like things simple. )
    Thanks, anything you can do is great, love the app! I am a gamer and was just thinking of speed. Drop downs take at least two taps and sometimes scrolling. How about say a 1 to 6 box to tap and a drop down at the end for all the other amounts. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    fantastic
    Just something I noticed... Might be intentional, but you probably just forgot.

When you disable die explosions, it turns off the "Gold" on the 6 rolls, but the low rolls (implosions :P) still turn pink.

Not that it really matters, i just expected disabling explosions to kill all the colors.

Also, a few possible feature requests.

1. Loving the saving output, anyway you could save a crap ton of rolls and just have somewhere to click to jump to "list mode", and its just plain text of the rolls?

2. Would love a "total" for the roll... 1+4 = 5. I know it may sound dumb, but for bigger dye, and just for quick looking, it would be nice. Perhaps another toggle? There is a lot of screen still available

3. Have you thought about user selectable backgrounds? Might not be too tricky, and could let users rock their own warhammer/D&D/catan theme :P
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Yeah, the gold was turned off on purpose, but the red/pink stayed cause you can't turn off critical failures. Also, I thought it'd be useful to keep it in color so you can easily ignore fails.

1. I was thinking about configuring the history so that it saves whatever number of rolls you specify, and a separate roll history page makes sense, though I might keep it graphical. :3

2. The reason I didn't do a total is because not all dice systems use the total roll. In Deadlands, for example, a lot of rolls only use the highest die. I'll see if I can work a total in somewhere though. Maybe in the bottom message area?

3. I did think about this! Just haven't toyed with it yet. It'll definitely help not getting sued if the user uses his/her OWN fantasy background :P And then just offer a wallpaper pack in the forums, or something.
    Excellent, I look forward to all updates

And in terms of options that aren't universal... don't be afraid of configuration options... I don't anyone will mind having to set 3-4 toggles on or off to get the perfect roll setup. Stuff like total or highest die could be toggled away somewhere.

Keep up the great work
    I dont understand it :-(
    Perfect app for my weekly D&D sessions. Now i dont need to remember to always bring my dice! Great update too crit toggle and logging down the last few rolls are a welcomed addition.

Like the user above mentioned adding the dice together would be nice. when you need to roll 10d6 at 3am can be a choir trying to add them =P but all in all great app!

Btw I dont know if you took it out or overlooked it but when you tap on the exploded dice they dont auto roll anymore. No biggie cause you can just hit the re-roll button but the gold die still light up when you touch them just nothing happens.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Looks great.

I see that you have a dice.wav file, but it isn't being called. I assume that will be added later? I have my own dice audio that I'd like to substitute (something heavier - more along the lines of D20s vs D4).

To reduce confusion, could you put in the die "Type" first, then "# of Die" second? Then the main box could read "Select the type and number of die"

Since you have the space, how about a modifier area (for example 1d8+8)?

The Die explosions is interesting, but not a dynamic I use in my gaming sessions - so can this be moved to a Preferences area instead?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I put the order based on "2d10": # of die, of X type. Does make a little more sense the other way around, though.

I'm still waiting for the SDK to document custom sound events that DON'T involve the media player. A co-worker of mine knows more Javascript than I do, so he might help me get the WAV up sooner than later.

Send me the WAV, I might use it, if the sound isn't too abrasive. I tried other WAVs before, but they sounded loud and messy. Might end up going the route of customizable sound files, for the heck of it.

The Modifier request sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'll muse it over and see what I can come up with.

For the time being the toggle will remain on the Main scene, since
    1. I use it more often than not, and
    2. having a preferences scene with one option is just silly
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I agree with you there. I was pondering what other sorts of options you could have in prefs - wallpaper, sounds, dice style?

There is a sound board homebrew app here: does it use the media player?

I was able to trigger your .wav using aplay -q [filename], but not much of a programmer to say how you could trigger that from within the app vs a script.

I'll send the sound file I have now (in mp3 format to start). I have the capabilities to customize this with more die/less die, etc.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Thanks to destinal from webos-internals IRC who helped me figure this one out:

To trigger your own sounds, change the following section in /usr/palm/applications/com.robobeau.pdice/app/assistants/main-assistant.jsjsjs:

Code:

// Fire off a sound event
            this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.audio/systemsounds', {
                method:"playFeedback",
                parameters:{ name: 'dice' }
            });
    Where the name parameter 'dice' equals the name of the file you are trying to trigger without it's extension. This file needs to be located in:

Code:
    /usr/share/systemsounds
    For example, in my code above, I have the parameter name 'dice'. In the systemsounds directory, I have a file dice.wav.

Once you have made the changes, refresh the app with:

Code:
    /usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    And restart the pulseaudio service with:

Code:
    initctl stop pulseaudio;initctl start pulseaudio
    Relaunch the application, and the sound should trigger.

A couple of notes:
    • It seems to favor .pcm files over .wav files. So if you have similarly named files (dice.pcm and dice.wav), it will trigger the .pcm file over the .wav.
    • If you create a generic name in the assistant code, then you can swap out the .wav/.pcm in the systemsystem sounds directory and simply restart the pulseaudio service to test the new audio.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Bug: occasionally, even with multiple dice rolling, only one die will appear.

Can you put the version number somewhere on screen for the future (so bug reports can be connected to them)? This is v1.1

=)
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    Bug: occasionally, even with multiple dice rolling, only one die will appear.

Can you put the version number somewhere on screen for the future (so bug reports can be connected to them)? This is v1.1

=)
    If the "Exploding Dice" thing is turned on, then any red die are re-rolled seperatly. So maybe that is the case.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast