Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    FYI: This app may never get updated again. For personal reasons I am considering stopping all development activities, not that I ever got that far anyway. I am satisfied that there were some who appreciated this app.

Pregame's My Flashlight, as cool as it is, requires a rooted Pre, leaving many in the dark. So while BADD Flashlight has about ZERO coolness factor, it will work on any unmodified, stock Pre.

Not all is lame, however, BADD Flashlight has a feature that LED-based phone flashlights do not and can not have: A Night Vision mode. Astronomy enthusiasts, among others, use red-light flashlights to protect their dark-adjusted eyes. This is actually THE reason why I bothered to make the app in the first place.

BADD Flashlight may be at the bottom of the webOS barrell, but that barrel will be well lit.

There's also a little something extra to protect your night vision: a solid red background to temporarily swap out with your current wallpaper. I hope to make this part of the app, but that's ... later.

I'm still working to expand BADD Flashlight's functionality, including a setting for a default light and hopefully tapping into the brightness api. SOS functionality is still on the TODO list, but you shouldn't hold your breath.

ISSUES: Menu and About dialog are too bright. I am working to darken them to protect your night vision.

INSTALLATION: Install in Dev Mode with either webOS Quick Install or webOS SDK. Preferably, use fileCoaster if that is installed. THIS GUIDE can help you install the SDK.

Version 0.1 Only: Will not upgrade due to its outdated app ID and must be manually deleted.

CHANGE LOG:

• v0.2.7

• Proper Mojo buttons, ghosted on light pages
      • In-App Link to Screen & Lock Prefs app to adjust brightness
      • Code Clean up

• v0.2.3
      • Lights display Full Screen to maximize light
      • Fixed About dialog that broke with webOS 1.1 update
      • Moved Lights into their own scenes
      • Increased button size

• v0.2
      • Added About menu and dialog
      • Now a true webOS app
      • Cleaned up CSS and improved Javascript
      • Updated Artwork

• v0.1.2
      • Finalized app operation
      • Less text, more light
      • Researched(?) and selected a "more effective" red
      • "OFF" screen now black, 'though it still gives off too much light
      • Updated icon
      • Added logo background
      • Updated app ID

• v0.1.0
      • Initial Release
      • All-In-Index app

[IMG] [URL= [URL=
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/10/2010 at 10:42 PM.
    is this app deletable
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I tested it before and, again, just now. Thanx for the reminder. I will put that in the OP ... tomorrow, after some sleep.
    Any brave souls out there have used this app yet?
    yes i have the app it works quite well
    i used it, Just a very basic white screen -grey screen- red screen. Does not turn on the flash. And text is quite thick so there really isn't to much white screen. But no rooting required just the sdk
    SCK Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    i used it, Just a very basic white screen -grey screen- red screen. Does not turn on the flash. And text is quite thick so there really isn't to much white screen. But no rooting required just the sdk
    Oh really? No offense, but this is as basic as it gets... load a white form with nothing on it and call it an app? OK....
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Oh really? No offense, but this is as basic as it gets... load a white form with nothing on it and call it an app? OK....
    Well, clearly not as cool as turning on/off the LED, but there is precedent. PalmOS and Blackberry both have "flashlight" apps which are just a white screen. Plus, I used to have a "mirror" app for PalmOS that turned the screen black so you could look at yourself in it.

Regardless of the simplicity, I'm glad to see people firing up their compilers (well, metaphorically, since it's WebOS ) to implement ideas.

Rob
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    /facepalm
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I haven't installed this one yet, but I can't wait to! Try finding the horsehead nebula and you'll appreciate what the author has done.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Has anyone tested the brightness of BADD Flashlight vs. My Flashlight?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Has anyone tested the brightness of BADD Flashlight vs. My Flashlight?
    My Flashlight should win easily. After I figure out the screen brightness controls it may be a fair fight, but that's ... later.

What I want to see is a flashlight app that does both, so it works like a lantern, casting light everywhere it can. That app will be a drain on the battery, but in the right situation could be very usefull.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I constantly use my phones as flashlights. This will come in handy thanks!
    Hi,

Any chance that you can add an SOS functionality? That is, can you have the display flash out SOS...or other Morse Code words?
    this might not be the coolest app ever made, but it seriously works and i am glad to have it on my phone.
    Thanks for this. I really like the red light for use around my room at night.
    you cant just make blank webpage with white background, add it to launcher and call it flashlight?
    something like a blogspot/wordpress page.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
    you cant just make blank webpage with white background, add it to launcher and call it flashlight?
    I can and I did. Some like it. That you don't doesn't faze me.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
    Sure you can, but it's not really an app. iPhones did that stuff with their web apps before the SDK was released. The difference is people want apps, not web pages.
    How about making the controls for off/white/red a radio button at either the top or bottom of the page?

I am, of course, talking about the webOS radiobutton ui widget, so that it looks mor webOS autentic, and the location increases the whitespace or red, offered by the app.
    Last edited by taalibeen; 07/07/2009 at 10:45 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast