Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavisjohn View Post
    The icon does not always update when you just update an app. You may have to delete the app then install it again to see the new icon.
    Yeah. It fixed itself after a reset when leaving dev mode.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I am so addicted to this game.
    Oil,

These last few changes are stellar in v1.5.2:
    • Added saving of the game options.
    • Added the option to require players to complete boxes. This will stop the "double-cross" strategy and make a game between a novice and an expert more evenly matched.
    • Added the ability to reset the game from the app menu.

In particular, forcing the completion of boxes is th only way I can beat your program. Maybe note that somehow as easy mode. Maybe make that the default? Otherwise I am afraid even a good player will try it once and declare it unwinable or that the game cheats.

- Craig
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    In particular, forcing the completion of boxes is th only way I can beat your program. Maybe note that somehow as easy mode. Maybe make that the default? Otherwise I am afraid even a good player will try it once and declare it unwinable or that the game cheats.
    I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. Were you not always completing the chain of boxes the AI lets you make, and the notification is simply reminding you to do that?

The AI will _ALWAYS_ complete all boxes (and any subsequent chain of boxes) you allow it to make by placing a 3rd line on a box. And turning off the require box completion option, you're actually making it easier to beat the AI, by allowing you, the human player, to not complete all the boxes and double-cross the AI, something the AI doesn't know how to do (yet.) (Information on the "double-cross" strategy can be found on the wikipedia page, if you're unsure what I'm talking about, it was discussed on the previous page of this thread.)

So by turning it on (requiring the human player to complete all the boxes, since the AI does this regardless of the options) you negate your ability to double-cross the AI, and actually make it harder to beat.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Ok.

The ai consists of 4 different functions, 3-line, 2-line, end-game, and random.

Its turn on all 3 difficulties starts with the 3-line function, it looks at every box to see if it already has 3 lines, and adds the 4th to create a box. At this point, if it doesn't find a any, the easy ai moves on to selecting a line at random. The other two move to the 2-line function.

The 2-line function looks at every line and determines if selecting it would leave the human player with the ability to create a box, as it does this it creates an "off limits" list of lines and passes it to the random function, which attempts to select a line that isn't off limits (a line that wouldn't give the human player a box.) If it can't, at this point the normal ai moves onto the random line function (basically goes and gives out a box,) and the hard ai moves on to the end-game function.

The end-game function which only the hard ai uses, looks at every line and determines how long of a "stream" of boxes the it would be giving the human player by selecting it. Then it selects the line which gives away the shortest stream of boxes.

And that is basically how the ai beats you
    and to think I struggled making an AI for tic tac toe.

if you don't mind sharing...what is your experience with JsJsJs/$html$/$CSS$/$programing$? $is$ $it$ $a$ $full$ $time$ $job$ $for$ $you$? $I$ $am$ $curious$ $the$ $background$ $of$ $the$ $developers$ $on$ $this$ $forum$ $and$ $extra$ $curious$ $about$ $the$ $really$ $good$ $ones$ $like$ $yourself$.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    what is your experience with JsJsJs/$html$/$CSS$/$programing$? $is$ $it$ $a$ $full$ $time$ $job$ $for$ $you$?
    Yeah, I've been developing for the web for years. And I do quite a bit of it at work (when the servers and computers aren't breaking down that is.)
    Wow, you weren't kidding, this gets really slow on the largest board and highest difficulty (especially on the last move before boxes started getting formed.)

I think I'll be keeping it at the single-screen one once I finish this game.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Wow, you weren't kidding, this gets really slow on the largest board and highest difficulty (especially on the last move before boxes started getting formed.)
    LOL, Yeah, I wasn't. Hopefully I'll get some inspiration and be able to make it faster.
    V1.52 is simply wonderful. It does everything I can think of!

Wow. Thank you!

- Craig
    stunning. I have a little trouble touching the lines around the edges of the board, but I love how well this fits in with the other pre software stylistically. Excellent job!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Love the game. Great job. Made a couple of icons from game play. One has a transparent background and the other does not. The transparent one might need some work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    oil, one thing to think about with this one is the vertical size. It looks like the next Treo styles WebOS phone is 360x400. If you do any major re factoring of the code, detecting and adjusting the board height might be something to think about. The WebOS standard is 360 wide by whatever. Just something to keep in the back of your mind for future devices.
  13.    #93  
    Yeah, the rows and columns are already completely definable. Shouldn't be any trouble.
    Very fun game!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    oil-
    I am developing my own game and I was wondering how you changed the background color to black? Also, how are you doing the graphics? bitmap or canvas?

thank you
    kmax12
  16.    #96  
    I was wondering how you changed the background color to black?
    With this in the setup function of my scene: (it makes it so all the widgets switch to their dark-styled counterparts.)
    Code:
    $$('body')[0].addClassName('palm-default');
    $$('body')[0].removeClassName('palm-dark');
    And this in my css: (I've also attached the image, I ganked it from the style matters app)
    Code:
    body.palm-dark
    {
    	background: url(../images/backdrop.png) center center;
    }
    how are you doing the graphics? bitmap or canvas?
    With pngs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Great work!
    I wanted to say thanks for the enhancements. My daughter and I love this game, but now she can play against the phone and I don't have to be the "opponent" for every game
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Great app!
    Can you add a highscore or Win-Loses record?
    www.MTFX.tv
    -Touchpad owner
  20.    #100  
    Yeah, That would be no problem.