Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    the best game I have seen for the pre YET!
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    The first time it reaches the end-game (where every move gives away boxes) it stores the list of "box streams" for use in subsequent turns. Initially I didn't have it storing the list, and it was re-checking for shortest stream each turn (more like a human,) but this was too slow when I tested it on the phone, so the change to storing it was made in an attempt to speed it up in the end-game. When I figure out how to make that run quicker on the phone, I will re-enable it for every turn.
    Yeah, with the big boards, it would be a bunch of processing. Most of the fun I have with games like this is trying to figure out how to screw with the AI.

All in all, it is a much more capable AI than I expected, so kudos.
    Any chance of adding a "force move" option? For example, if I know that by filling in a section of blocks, it forces me to give the next section to the computer, I can create a third wall on another part of that section I was in and the computer will take it and give me the larger section. That way I always win. But if there was a force move that made you have to create a box if there are 3 lines it might add a new level of strategy.

Just a suggestion. Love the game! Play it all the time
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by NextWaveG View Post
    Any chance of adding a "force move" option?
    Yeah, I guess thats a pretty good way to cheat the AI

Adding such an option wouldn't be hard. I don't know if there is any "official dot game rules" anywhere (I programmed this from the memory of playing it as a kid,) but this seems like forcing you to fill in open boxes should be the only way it works, instead of an option you can disable. So I'll probably do that instead.

If you were playing against a friend, and not the AI, they would probably get pretty pissed at you for making such a move, and I would hate "hey, it lets you do it" to be a valid retort.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    If you were playing against a friend, and not the AI, they would probably get pretty pissed at you for making such a move, and I would hate "hey, it lets you do it" to be a valid retort.
    I never saw the official rules, but this is how my son plays when ever we used to play. I never thought of it before he did it to me, and I thought it was pretty creative...guess it makes sense to call it "cheating"...
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubbx View Post
    I never saw the official rules, but this is how my son plays when ever we used to play. I never thought of it before he did it to me, and I thought it was pretty creative...guess it makes sense to call it "cheating"...
    I managed to find some rules on wikipedia (which, I guess we can call official.) It calls not capturing all boxes available to you the "double-cross strategy," which is not cheating, but a move for experienced players (aka, someone who has been duped by it before ) It also says that common alternate rules are to require claiming all available boxes, to even the playing field between novice and experienced players.

So I'll definitely put it in as an option that can be turned on and off. And see if I can figure out a way to give the AI the ability to double-cross you when appropriate.
    I'm really impressed. Nice Job! This will keep my boys endlessly amused.
    Having it as optional I think is a good call. That way if you want to play it as an option, you still can.

Wow, adding that as an option for the AI sounds like it would be tricky. Good luck!
    Cant get enough of this game
  10.    #70  
    I just put up an updated .ipk (version 1.5.2) which includes all the features that have been requested to date.

Check the first post for a complete list.
    I just put up an updated .ipk (version 1.5.2) which includes all the features that have been requested to date.
    Check the first post for a complete list.
    Very cool app; nicely done! My kids love this game.

I was going to ask if you considered saving an in-progress game, but of course the NEED for this (given that one shouldn't ever have to exit the game even to run other apps) is pretty low.

One other request that I can think of: Since the players are only referred to as "Red" and "Blue", if one stops mid-game (say the food just showed up at while dining out) then one might forget who was playing which color when the game is later resumed.

Thus, it would be nice to be able to assign names to the players. Just a thought. :-)
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemketron View Post
    I was going to ask if you considered saving an in-progress game, but of course the NEED for this (given that one shouldn't ever have to exit the game even to run other apps) is pretty low.
    Yeah, The only real reason I can see to save the state of a game would be in the case of an accidental back-gesture (which may be why I end up adding it, I know I've done it a few times.) But due to the haphazard way the game state is used when playing, it makes saving its state more complicated then most things (but not impossible.) I'll see if I can get it into my next release.

Quote Originally Posted by lemketron View Post
    One other request that I can think of: Since the players are only referred to as "Red" and "Blue", if one stops mid-game (say the food just showed up at while dining out) then one might forget who was playing which color when the game is later resumed.

Thus, it would be nice to be able to assign names to the players. Just a thought. :-)
    I also thought of this, but it would require changing the layout of the game screen quite a bit. As "Red" and "Blue" are relatively short words. And allow the game status to easily fit in the header. Replacing them with even average length names wouldn't fit very well.

If I come up with a different way to do the header, while keeping the board-area the same size, I may implement this feature, so we'll see.
    I also thought of this, but it would require changing the layout of the game screen quite a bit. As "Red" and "Blue" are relatively short words. And allow the game status to easily fit in the header. Replacing them with even average length names wouldn't fit very well.
    How about limiting the name to four characters?

That works for "him" and "her" or "Dad" and "Son", etc. ;-)
  14.    #74  
    Good idea.

But if I'm going to limit the names, I might as well just limit it to initials (1 to 3 characters.) Which would have the added bonus of being short enough to toss inside completed boxes. Exactly how you keep track of who has what box when you play on paper.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I love it! Keep up the good work, the game works great.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update.
    Oil: Thanks for the update. The game is really fantastic. I've just got one suggestion, along with the implementation of the "required box" rule, could you somehow illuminate the "required box"? On a big game it may be hard to spot that one box.
  18.    #78  
    Well, if you have that option turned on, the required box would be the one the other player just put the 3rd line on. And the last line played already has an outline to make it stand out. It shouldn't be hard to find at all.
    Odd issue for me, I updated fine to 1.5.2. The app reports 1.5.2, though I have that absolutely tiny icon still?
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    Odd issue for me, I updated fine to 1.5.2. The app reports 1.5.2, though I have that absolutely tiny icon still?
    The icon does not always update when you just update an app. You may have to delete the app then install it again to see the new icon.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre