Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Maybe an idea for an icon. Feel free to use if you like it.
    It looks great.

It's not really my style though. I was thinking about just making the dot a bit larger... And maybe putting a light circle behind it like most of palm's built-in apps. It will already say "Dot Game" below the icon, so having text in the icon feels a little repetitive.
    Am I missing the setting or button, or is there not a way to go back to the main menu from inside the game?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Am I missing the setting or button, or is there not a way to go back to the main menu from inside the game?
    You mean besides the back gesture?
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    You mean besides the back gesture?
    LOL. Thanks. I knew I was an *****.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Great job. As funny as it sounds, one of the few PalmOS apps that I loved was a dots game. I never got it working under Classic.

So, I'm glad this is here. It's attractive and works fairly well with the Pre's touchscreen.

Great job!
    Thanks for the memories, reminds me of when I was little with the old paper and pencil with nothing else to do. Also after talking with my asst principal today it made me feel old when she never had heard of the game.
    Great game, thanks!
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    It looks great.

It's not really my style though. I was thinking about just making the dot a bit larger... And maybe putting a light circle behind it like most of palm's built-in apps. It will already say "Dot Game" below the icon, so having text in the icon feels a little repetitive.
    I would personally make the dot bigger and have some sort of a grid of the dots behind it to fill out the icon background. similar to that user created sample w/o the text (and more of the grid).
    If you can make the icon from the launcher bigger that would be great.
    This is an incredibly good app. I'd love to see even just some pseudo-code describing how you got the AI to pick lines. Is it just random at first? Does it randomly pick a line and try not to give squares? Does it "count ahead" to see how many squares it is going to give away? So many questions! Bottom line, though, I'd pay for this app if it were int he app catalog.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by teej51685 View Post
    This is an incredibly good app. I'd love to see even just some pseudo-code describing how you got the AI to pick lines. Is it just random at first? Does it randomly pick a line and try not to give squares? Does it "count ahead" to see how many squares it is going to give away? So many questions! Bottom line, though, I'd pay for this app if it were int he app catalog.
    Ok.

The ai consists of 4 different functions, 3-line, 2-line, end-game, and random.

Its turn on all 3 difficulties starts with the 3-line function, it looks at every box to see if it already has 3 lines, and adds the 4th to create a box. At this point, if it doesn't find a any, the easy ai moves on to selecting a line at random. The other two move to the 2-line function.

The 2-line function looks at every line and determines if selecting it would leave the human player with the ability to create a box, as it does this it creates an "off limits" list of lines and passes it to the random function, which attempts to select a line that isn't off limits (a line that wouldn't give the human player a box.) If it can't, at this point the normal ai moves onto the random line function (basically goes and gives out a box,) and the hard ai moves on to the end-game function.

The end-game function which only the hard ai uses, looks at every line and determines how long of a "stream" of boxes the it would be giving the human player by selecting it. Then it selects the line which gives away the shortest stream of boxes.

And that is basically how the ai beats you
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Thanks, this game is addictive! Your updates are great. I like playing against the dumb computer. This way our levels are equal. :-)
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    nice.
    Awesome. It's very solid, well polished and enjoyable. Brings me back several years
    cool
    One thing I noticed with the AI is that it doesn't seem to check what is the least number of squares to give away when you have to make a 3 line. You would probably have to do a recursive craw to detect the least objectionable path to give away. This would be the final step to make it near human smart.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    One thing I noticed with the AI is that it doesn't seem to check what is the least number of squares to give away when you have to make a 3 line. You would probably have to do a recursive craw to detect the least objectionable path to give away. This would be the final step to make it near human smart.
    The first time it reaches the end-game (where every move gives away boxes) it stores the list of "box streams" for use in subsequent turns. Initially I didn't have it storing the list, and it was re-checking for shortest stream each turn (more like a human,) but this was too slow when I tested it on the phone, so the change to storing it was made in an attempt to speed it up in the end-game. When I figure out how to make that run quicker on the phone, I will re-enable it for every turn.
    Very nice
    Ok.

The ai consists of 4 different functions, 3-line, 2-line, end-game, and random.

Its turn on all 3 difficulties starts with the 3-line function, it looks at every box to see if it already has 3 lines, and adds the 4th to create a box. At this point, if it doesn't find a any, the easy ai moves on to selecting a line at random. The other two move to the 2-line function.

The 2-line function looks at every line and determines if selecting it would leave the human player with the ability to create a box, as it does this it creates an "off limits" list of lines and passes it to the random function, which attempts to select a line that isn't off limits (a line that wouldn't give the human player a box.) If it can't, at this point the normal ai moves onto the random line function (basically goes and gives out a box,) and the hard ai moves on to the end-game function.

The end-game function which only the hard ai uses, looks at every line and determines how long of a "stream" of boxes the it would be giving the human player by selecting it. Then it selects the line which gives away the shortest stream of boxes.

And that is basically how the ai beats you
    Thanks for answering my post, that's an extremely elegant way to handle things. Had you written a version of this game for a different platform?
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by teej51685 View Post
    Had you written a version of this game for a different platform?
    No, I haven't.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast