webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > XboxLive Friends
XboxLive Friends
Like Tree1Likes

Old 07/04/2009, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
oil

XboxLive Friends:
Gives you a quick and convenient way to check if your friends are online and what they're doing. All wrapped up in a sexy package.

Soon(ish)!:
I've decided to rewrite this app and design it better. When I initially wrote it, it was my first attempt at a webOs app, and as such isn't put together terribly well. So I decided to toss out this quick bug fix release before I begin on the rewrite.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Q - Does it log in with my xbox live account and download my friends list?
A - No. And it will never support logging into live.

Q - Do I have to type every gamertag I wish to track?
A - Yes.

Q - How about achievement details?
A - Microsoft's API doesn't give out achievement details. So there is no way for me to get it into the app.

Q - The server is down?
A - This happens sometimes. The app goes through my less-than-stellar server, and it's prone to connection problems. If you would like to donate some better hardware, Send me a PM.

Q - It goes through your server?
A - See this post for more information: http://forums.precentral.net/1738855-post80.html

Q - How about a PS3 Version?
A - I have no interest to create PS3 friends app. But I'm sure someone will create one eventually. Update: Someone did: http://forums.precentral.net/appstuh...iends-psn.html.

Donations:
Some of you have requested a way to donate. And who am I to object?
You can donate through paypal by clicking this link: Donate.

To Download:
Available exclusively through Precentral's homebrew catalog, you can get it through Preware or webOS Quick Install.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Updates:

XboxLive Friends v0.5.0: [7/4/09] [Initial Release]
Features:
  • Friends List showing who is online and what they're doing.
  • Friend View with expanded information about each friend.
  • Updates friend status in the background every 5 minutes.
XboxLive Friends v0.5.1: [7/22/09]
This update is just a few bug fixes. One that was stopping you from removing gamertags. And another that would have cropped up and made the app completely unusable once webOs1.1 was released. (I highly suggest you update for this reason alone.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg listView1.jpg (62.8 KB, 1726 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg listView2.jpg (114.6 KB, 1068 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg friendView.jpg (55.1 KB, 1033 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by oil; 07/13/2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added PSN Link
oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Awesome!!!!!!!
murdermajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much for completing this. I have been counting the days since you announced you were working on it. Time to get the SDK kicking and get this baby on my pre.

COD4 and W@W

T M3dz

EDIT: After downloading it to my pre last night and adding all my contacts I have to say that this app is VERY SMOOTH! looks great, easy to use. and makes me all sorts of happy hahaha

Last edited by TMed_ATL; 07/05/2009 at 10:08 AM.
TMed_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks alot!!
nic426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

So this is a stupid question. Will my login go through your server somehow or does it go directly to MS?

Also, you need to have the ipk install to /var/usr/palm/applications, not /usr/palm/applications, otherwise it cannot be deleted.

Last edited by jhoff80; 07/04/2009 at 11:34 PM.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2009, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Will my login go through your server somehow or does it go directly to MS?
It doesn't ask for any login credentials at all. You simply add the gamertags you wish to keep tabs on.
Thanked by Double, jaime7073
Old 07/04/2009, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil View Post
It doesn't ask for any login credentials at all. You simply add the gamertags you wish to keep tabs on.
Ah, okay, thanks.

Edit: And my mistake, it only installs to /usr/palm/applications if you use ipkg-opt to install it. If you use the palm-install.bat method, it seems to go to /var/usr/palm/applications/

Last edited by jhoff80; 07/04/2009 at 11:47 PM.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 02:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Umm I have the SDK and virtual box but how do I actually go about getting it on my phone. Im using Vista 32x.

The steps I have followed thus far.

1.Enabled Dev mode on the Pre using the konami code.
2.Downloaded the SDK and Virtual Box.
3.Reset both the phone and my PC
4.Hooked the phone up to my comp and clicking just charge.
5.Dragged your isk into the palm-install.

The app shows up in the emulator but I cant for the life of me get it to install on the actual phone. And I have spent the greater part of and hour looking on google and such.
Acidragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 02:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
oil

With:

palm-install -d usb xboxLiveFriends_0.5.0.ipk
Thanked By: jaime7073
Old 07/05/2009, 03:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah I found out in the paint thread how to do it. But thanks for the *****ing app dude.
Acidragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 04:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Very cool. Now I just need to get an XBox 360
eisnerguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 04:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

can you make a ps3 one please?
deanorbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 04:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
oil

I'm not really interested in making one for PS3 gamers. I'm sure someone else will make one in due time.
Old 07/05/2009, 04:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks a lot, I haven't downloaded it, but the pics looks sweet.
I'll put it on my pre when I'm done with CoD:WaW
Haha

It wasn't that thrilling having to go to Xbox.com, sign in, go to my account, go to friends. Lots of loading of full web pages. This should speed that process up!
darkcovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Oil i love the app really great i would like to make a one suggestions if you dont mind.
Including a Manual Refresh Button (rather than opening and closing app). Other than that Thank you & this pre community my pre gets better and better!
quietstorm21a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

This app is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would it be possible for you to add a way to message our online friends? or have a option to log in and see all of our friends? that wud probally put this app over the top as the best pre app to date!!
Nique0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 02:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nique0201 View Post
This app is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would it be possible for you to add a way to message our online friends? or have a option to log in and see all of our friends? that wud probally put this app over the top as the best pre app to date!!
It's cool as can be. I would think that messaging would require the app to log us into a MS server. Not sure how he would do that, but of course I'm not sure how he did any of it!!! LOL

GOOD JOB tho...
Old 07/05/2009, 03:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

any chance at a PS3 app like this?
Spunks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009, 04:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
Including a Manual Refresh Button (rather than opening and closing app).
As of right now, it automatically refreshes in the background every 5 minutes. There is no need to open/close it. But I can certainly add a button just to make people feel better about it. But though the data on the server only updates every 15 minutes (per microsofts data api rules.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nique0201 View Post
Would it be possible for you to add a way to message our online friends? or have a option to log in and see all of our friends?
There isn't a way for me to integrate messaging into the app. But I will add a link that takes you directly to the xbox.com page that you can message them with. And microsoft doesn't allow downloading of your actual friends list (for privacy concerns.)
Old 07/05/2009, 04:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil View Post
As of right now, it automatically refreshes in the background every 5 minutes. There is no need to open/close it. But I can certainly add a button just to make people feel better about it. But though the data on the server only updates every 15 minutes (per microsofts data api rules.)
Well in that case i didnt know about MS api system so you can actually forget unless you gotten other request for it. Again very nice app.
quietstorm21a is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0