Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, I know someone already posted a translator application that uses Google translate and allows multiple languages.

However, as one married to a beautiful Puerto Rican woman (straight from the island) who is the only one in her family that really speaks English - I'm often in need of a quick way to figure out how to say something in Spanish, or figure out what some Spanish word is in English.

One of my personal favorite sites to use for such things is wordreference dot com, which gives a much more thorough definition of words than Google translate.

So, inspired by the other app, I set out to make my own application that better suited my needs.

In the end, I was able to create my app called "Habla!"

You can enter a word in either English or Spanish, and it will pull up the definition from wordreference mobile.

Aesthetically, it needs work, but my foremost concern was functionality.

So, here's Habla! v 1.0.

Screenshots:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cool. Does wordreference.com provide a web service you can use, or do you just do a request and scrape the result page?
  3.    #3  
    Here's the source code for Habla! v 1.0:
  4.    #4  
    If they have a web service, I'm not aware of it.

I'm just using the webview widget, and making the URL a concatenation of the basic search string URL along with the variable that contains whatever text has been entered in the text box.

I've got some ideas on how to improve it, I'll start exploring them another day.

For now though, since my inlaws are here in the US visiting, this app should make it quicker for me to get the words I need to have a meaningful convo.

Grammatically, I know how to structure my thoughts, but sometimes just don't have the words. Google translator comes up with some ridiculous translations sometimes (often), for Spanish anyway.
    Hi Taalibeen, I am working on something similar like yours except the meaning of your name and their definitions/origin from the site Zelo.com. Could you help me out please
  6.    #6  
    murdermajig, take the source code I provided and in the mainView-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $where$ $I$ $call$ $the$ $url$ $to$ $pull$ $content$ $into$ $the$ $webview$ $widgget$, $change$ $the$ $wordreference$ $portion$ $of$ $the$ $URL$ $to$ &$quot$;$http$://$www$.$zelo$.$com$/$firstnames$/$findresults$.$asp$?$name$=&$quot$;

That will give you a REALLY ROUGH working version, but the problem is trying to pare down the page to just the parts you want, which in your case is the name and the translation, minust the other stuff they have going on in the page.

Of course, you're gonna wanna change the icon, app name, and button lables too.

If anyone knows a better way - please enlighten us!
    Thank you so much, now i need to see how to just get the text.
    again, thanks!!!!!

Edit: do you know if this uses the ajax get fuction?
    Last edited by murdermajig; 07/04/2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: ajax
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Can you make an .ipk package for easy install?
    better use "Traducir" instead of "Busca la palabra".

Suena mejor en espaņol.

(I hope you don't need to translate the last statement.)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    better use "Traducir" instead of "Busca la palabra".

Suena mejor en espaņol.

(I hope you don't need to translate the last statement.)
    Tienes razon, voy a cambiar las dos frases a "Translate / Traducir"

(i'm still annoyed by the fact that the Sym button doesn't work when filling out a form on the web (I.e this forum - I hope Palm fixes that soon)
  11.    #11  
    Here is the .ipk if anyone wants to try it.
    I don't know if this is possible, but is there a way to get pronunciation voice for the words? I think dictionary.com does that.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Thank you for the IPK!

Now.. would it be possible to enable widescreen mode? because the font on the results windows is tiny... (or to change the font maybe....)
    Quote Originally Posted by dchamero View Post
    Thank you for the IPK!

Now.. would it be possible to enable widescreen mode? because the font on the results windows is tiny... (or to change the font maybe....)
    I've read on the Xbox app thread that it is only 2 lines of code.
  15.    #15  
    Regarding the fontsize, the Rough Cuts book says there's a minFontSize property that can be set for the webview widget, but doesn't mention how to set it or what the possible values are.

Since I only have the leaked SDK, it doesn't have the full documentation.

I'll take a look at the Xbox app thread and see what I can do in that regard.
    Hey Taali, do you think we can replace webview with ajax get?
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    Regarding the fontsize, the Rough Cuts book says there's a minFontSize property that can be set for the webview widget, but doesn't mention how to set it or what the possible values are.

Since I only have the leaked SDK, it doesn't have the full documentation.

I'll take a look at the Xbox app thread and see what I can do in that regard.
    http://forums.precentral.net/1729863-post29.html
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
    Hey Taali, do you think we can replace webview with ajax get?
    I'm not that familiar with AJAX, but from what I've seen it should be possible. For those that are more AJAX literate than myself, will using an AJAX get instead of the webwidget in MOJO buy me anything in terms of presentation or ability to extract just the relevant portions of the page?
  19.    #19  
    What's driving me nuts is my apparent inability to add a background image to the app.

The background image shows up in the desktop browser, but when I run the app in the emulator or on my Pre, it doesn't display.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    What's driving me nuts is my apparent inability to add a background image to the app.

The background image shows up in the desktop browser, but when I run the app in the emulator or on my Pre, it doesn't display.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    I know that one!
    go to your stylesheet and type this

body.myBackground {
    background: url(../images/Image.png) center center;
    }
    Then go to your scene and type, replace image.png with the image you want

<body class="myBackground palm-dark">
    and replace the top <body> with this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast