webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Tip Calculator [v1.0.5][NRR]
Tip Calculator [v1.0.5][NRR]

Old 06/29/2009, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
jwz

A simple restaurant tip calculator, my first Palm Pre application. Download the application and/or the source code on the above URL.

jwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cool to see you here at PrēCentral Jamie. Like an *****, I removed tip calculator after updating to v1.0.4 in order to see if it would reinstall.

Looking forward to your next Prē hack.
Far Left Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I installed it and it looks good. I haven't upgraded to 1.04 just yet.
Old 06/29/2009, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Still no decimals, eh?
Darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2009, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome app!
mentallydetached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Boy....a decimal point would be great for this app
babydaddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

You do realize that you can simply just type in the amount without a decimal (say it's $24.17, just do 2417) and then it works just the same, adding your own two decimal places at the end of the calculation...

That actually may be something to consider, jwz: just having the decimal point already be there on the screen and they just enter in the numbers. Unless I'm being naive couldn't it purely be an ascetic thing that doesn't change the numbers or any computations, but just the display of them, correct?

I'll take a look at your source code and see if it's anything I can remotely understand (I just know html & C++, but am a fast learner!).
JohnLBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 02:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Is there a reason why 8.75% tax was skipped? any chance that could be added in??
alxhowarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2009, 02:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxhowarth View Post
Is there a reason why 8.75% tax was skipped? any chance that could be added in??
There are some tax rates that are commented out in the code, so yes I believe that would be easy to add in, even if it's not already one there.
Old 07/01/2009, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
You do realize that you can simply just type in the amount without a decimal (say it's $24.17, just do 2417) and then it works just the same, adding your own two decimal places at the end of the calculation....
Have we all gotten so gadget friendly that we're not mathematically able (LAZY)?
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 12:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
Have we all gotten so gadget friendly that we're not mathematically able (LAZY)?
No I'm actually pretty great at math, just not too much in my head. And I like exactness in my calculations, so I at least know the answer before I round..
Old 07/01/2009, 12:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Oops.. I was referring to the other post hampering on the dev to put a decimal point. Your post had me rolling that you had to explain simple math to these gadget happy people.
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 12:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
Oops.. I was referring to the other post hampering on the dev to put a decimal point. Your post had me rolling that you had to explain simple math to these gadget happy people.
It's all good.. I kind of figured that anyway but wasn't sure. But yeah, pretty sad.
Old 07/01/2009, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

I played around with this app some (the decimal thing bugged me too...sorry jwz ). I removed the "backspace" button and made it a decimal. I also extended the max to 6 numbers. It seems to work for the most part....the only issue I'm having is when the number right after the decimal is a 0....it basically ignores it and doesn't add the decimal. Keep in mind I have very little javascript experience, so it could be something simple...I just haven't figured it out yet.
cmiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

maybe im just dumb, but it isnt showing up in launcher for some reason. help?
blackjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 01:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Left Texas View Post
Cool to see you here at PrēCentral Jamie. Like an *****, I removed tip calculator after updating to v1.0.4 in order to see if it would reinstall.

Looking forward to your next Prē hack.
So this will not install after 1.0.4 is installed?

I didn't see mention of the install process (and haven't downloaded yet).
gmanvbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2009, 02:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
So this will not install after 1.0.4 is installed?

I didn't see mention of the install process (and haven't downloaded yet).
It won't install using the email method anymore. You would need to use the SDK to install it.
cmiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2009, 12:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pre Developer

Why don't you give people what they want and add a decimal??? You should rename this application to Tip Guestimator. It should be up to the end user round up the tip depending on service and not to the developer.

I for one will not use this until I see a decimal in the application.
PreGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: hrdcamjc
Old 07/02/2009, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
Why don't you give people what they want and add a decimal??? You should rename this application to Tip Guestimator. It should be up to the end user round up the tip depending on service and not to the developer.

I for one will not use this until I see a decimal in the application.
While I sort of agree with wanting a decimal, I realize that you can enter in a decimal number without a decimal and just imagine it's there in your head (so 2453 = 24.53). The math works just the same! Just saying..
Old 07/02/2009, 02:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

It's really the principle of the thing.

I don't think anyone with functioning brain cells needs a tip ESTIMATOR. We can already do that; "Let's see, bill is 48 bucks, 10% of that is obviously 5ish, twenty percent would be $10ish."

Gee, I don't need an app for that.

That said, it's the developer's app, and he can have whatever features he wants.
Darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: atom00

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0