Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    see here

http://www.precentral.net/palm-close...email-loophole

I'll work on an easy "how to root your pre" article tonight (It'll be my first time ) and see about a 2nd how-to article about installing apps via USB. Actually, if anybody wants to help me out with that - I'm game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I'll work on an easy "how to root your pre" article tonight
    I don't know... I sort of feel like the people who can't already figure it out from the step-by-step on the Wiki probably have no business logging into their Pre as root...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't know... I sort of feel like the people who can't already figure it out from the step-by-step on the Wiki probably have no business logging into their Pre as root...
    lol, may just put up a post pointing to that, then.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I would send people to the Pre Dev Wiki. If they can't figure it out, they have no business rooting.

I will also say that those that have the SDK can still download and install the homebrew apps, but it has to be done via USB for now. Hopefully devs keep their apps on the site so we can continue to help them streamline them if they are interested.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    My response...
    pre dev wiki: Installing Homebrew Apps on Stock Pre without Rooting

Stay tuned for another method in the works.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I read this earlier today, it kind of sucks but it really did need to be patched because Im pretty sure that some mean peeps would try to brick peoples phones because of this security breach. I installed the tip calculator on my ex-pre last week and I didn't even know it worked, because know notification popped up after I pressed the link. But hopefully another easy hack thats safe will be found until the official sdk is released. Maybe by the time I buy a webos device they'll have a bunch of great apps available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    see here

http://www.precentral.net/palm-close...email-loophole

I'll work on an easy "how to root your pre" article tonight (It'll be my first time ) and see about a 2nd how-to article about installing apps via USB. Actually, if anybody wants to help me out with that - I'm game.
    I would prefer to see the USB route over rooting, myself. Sorry I can't help you with that, though.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Well, they are going to try anyway... so it's a question of whether you want to supply one good step-by-step, or to answer 4 billion stupid questions.
    I've already taken a look at the rooting guide on the wiki and its very simple. I've never hacked into a phone before, but I do have some experience with multiple programming languages and pick up on new ones pretty quick (I taught myself HTML when I was 12 lol). When my laptop comes in tomorrow, I plan to root my Pre.

I do agree with jhoff though. If someone can't even follow the simple step by step guide on the wiki, they really shouldn't be messing around with rooting...
    They are slamming the door fast on this. Palm has already pushed 1.0.4 to my phone. Telling the install to delay only holds off until the next charge, and at the rate these phones grind thru batteries, it's gonna get installed tonight whether I like it or not. I may try to charge via USB to see if that will hold off the install.

And I'm in the middle of building my first package.....!@#$#5. Oh, well. Unless someone finds another hole, I'll be waiting until Mojo arrives. I don't want to step into rooting (at least for installs).
    I think that if theres a tutorial on how to root your pre made to be as easy to understand as possible, it will eliminate any problems people might have if they figured out how to root it by themselves anyways. Its best to provide clear instructions to prevent people from messing up their pre's instead of letting them go from hard to understand tutorials to bricking their device.
    I am with you there . Anybody with no Linux knowledge really should wait for better methods and stay away from a Terminal window .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I may add that palm did not credit me for finding the "hole". Such is life.
    I'm sure people know this but I don't recall having plainly read this on the site yet.. By putting your Pre in Developer Mode, you can very easily install apps via Command Prompt (at least on Windows) in the exact same manner done for installing on the emulator.

I'm computer savvy but don't want to mess with rooting my Pre. And I wanted those Palm apps (the ones from SDK) to be on my Pre, and figured I'd give Dev Mode a shot, and it worked like a charm (using "Just Charge" when connecting the Pre to Laptop). Again, probably nothing new, but it definitely works.

So question, wouldn't I be able to download these packages (.ipk) files that we've been emailed and via my computer be able to install them to the Pre? I mean I understand you'd have to have the SDK, but if you do then it's really not that big of an issue (the email 1.0.4 fix thing).
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    I wanted those Palm apps (the ones from SDK) to be on my Pre, and figured I'd give Dev Mode a shot, and it worked like a charm (using "Just Charge" when connecting the Pre to Laptop). Again, probably nothing new, but it definitely works.
    Thanks... I was trying to get this to work and that was what I was doing wrong. I had it in USB mode instead of "just charge".
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    Thanks... I was trying to get this to work and that was what I was doing wrong. I had it in USB mode instead of "just charge".
    No problem. Yeah I had to just mess around with it. Once you've enabled Dev Mode on your Pre, and have the SDK installed, when you hook it up to your computer and do "Just Charge" it will automatically install some more driver stuff, particularly Novacom.exe or something like that. And then if I remember correctly a restart (on Vista 32bit) is required. After that, just do "palm-install -d usb [package.file.ipk]" to install to your (already connected) Pre or "palm-install -d tcp [package.file.ipk]" to install to the (already running) emulator.

Also it's fun to run "palm-install -d usb -l". This lists all the applications on your Pre. Pretty cool. Oh and be sure you're running Command Prompt in Administrator Mode when palm-installing and packaging stuff.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Also... IMO there should be a new sticky with instructions for the SDK install method for people who have updated to 1.04.

Just a suggestion for the admins... thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Drybonz; 06/30/2009 at 01:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    Also... IMO there should be a new sticky with instructions for the SDK install method for people who have updated to 1.04.

Just a suggestion for the admins... thanks for reading.
    I agree. Because all you need is the SDK and you're set to start installing. I'd be willing to help out a thread or instructions or something on how exactly to do all this via USB & Command Prompt (or even drag-n-drop).
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    I'm sure people know this but I don't recall having plainly read this on the site yet.. By putting your Pre in Developer Mode, you can very easily install apps via Command Prompt (at least on Windows) in the exact same manner done for installing on the emulator. .....
    Thanks JohnL for pointing this out. At least I'll be able to do some real world testing and beta testing for my app. I hadn't thought that far ahead yet. I was focused on getting my app ready.

As far as the Palm update, let me first say that I understand completely. Being an old mainframer, I live in a world that most youngsters would consider onerously harsh, but I understand the benefits of a secure platform. I had just hoped that I'd be able to get my app out there into the hands of some average, non-sophisticated users. IMO, all the other install processes are too complicated for the average user, so reaching them will have to wait.
    Just a thought - but could one delay the forced update by keeping their battery under 30%?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast