Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tip to make typing easier--you can rename the ipk files in the directory to something sorth (e.g. paint.ipk); it doesn't affect their functionality once copied over the USB link to yoru Pre. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turftiger8908 View Post
    I followed all these steps and when i drag the ipk into the palm-install, the command prompt window opens then closes. when i check my apps on the pre, it is not there. any help?
    Same issue, using Vista 64.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    Make sure you restart your pc after installing the sdk.
    471405, thanks. That did the trick.
    what does a "reset" mean? I won't lose anything, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprHero View Post
    what does a "reset" mean? I won't lose anything, correct?
    Just resetting your cpu. You are resetting your cpu to finish the SDK install. You won't lose anything. After the reset you should be able to drag and drop the .ipk file with correct results.
    I'm sorry, but after putting the pre in developing mode, it prompts me to "reset". I'm talking about the pre.
    my pre won't turn on...did i make a mistake?
  9. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I finally downloaded the mac SDK and installed it, switched to dev mode, restarted, hooked up, restarted again. Dragging the ipk on top of the file in finder doesn't work, of course. Nor does dragging the file into an open command prompt window that has opened palm-install.bat

When I open palm-install it makes sense! I see the command I need to type to install the program, but after it lists how to do everything it says "Process completed" and I can't type anything!!!

The top of the run says this:

Last login: Fri Mar 13 13:04:16 on console
    /opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install ; exit;
    computer-name:~ username$ /opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install ; exit;
    Usage: palm-install [OPTION...] [PACKAGE | APP_ID]
    Install or remove applications from a Palm device.

Last time I swear it said "logout somewhere"

So close I can taste it... Turning off devmode for now.
    I'm sorry, but after putting the pre in developing mode, it prompts me to "reset". I'm talking about the pre.
    Once you do the code you have to reset in order for your Pre to be in developer's mode. It should reset properly and the main screen will pop up like normal.
    my pre won't turn on...did i make a mistake?
    I don't believe so. If you entered the code, turned on the developer mode, and reset your Pre......................then you have done it correctly. The reason for your phone not turning on baffles me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    I finally downloaded the mac SDK and installed it, switched to dev mode, restarted, hooked up, restarted again. Dragging the ipk on top of the file in finder doesn't work, of course. Nor does dragging the file into an open command prompt window that has opened palm-install.bat

When I open palm-install it makes sense! I see the command I need to type to install the program, but after it lists how to do everything it says "Process completed" and I can't type anything!!!
    Hey tuz, did you ever restart your mac? Forum member 471405, stated earlier that restarting your mac and/or pc fixes that problem. Once I reset my pc I was able to drag, drop, and install no problems. Try that and let us know.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    I have a laptop with XP. Installed there and it works fine...
    Im running Vista & i cant get the emulator to run for the life of me, everytime I try to run the emulator i get this http://i44.tinypic.com/e66460.jpg I've restarted windows 4 times, installed SDK twice....
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynzson View Post
    Im running Vista & i cant get the emulator to run for the life of me, everytime I try to run the emulator i get this http://i44.tinypic.com/e66460.jpg I've restarted windows 4 times, installed SDK twice....

----- RUN EVERYTHING AS ADMINISTRATOR -------
    and I mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
    Did I say EVERYTHING??

Then go to Services and start NovacomD service manually if it's not running!

BUT make sure you running everything as admin, NovacomD, cmd, emulator, services..... !!
    Quote Originally Posted by edbtzy View Post
    im having the same problem...the command prompt opens for about half a second and closes...any ideas?
    Go to Start->Run type in cmd and click ok to open a command prompt.
    Type C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin\palm-install.bat [path\to\package.ipk]
    Do you see an error?
  17. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy704 View Post
    Hey tuz, did you ever restart your mac? Forum member 471405, stated earlier that restarting your mac and/or pc fixes that problem. Once I reset my pc I was able to drag, drop, and install no problems. Try that and let us know.
    Thanks! Will do! (a little later today). Do you mean drag and drop onto the file in finder or into terminal? I don't think I've ever dragged INTO a file in finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    Thanks! Will do! (a little later today). Do you mean drag and drop onto the file in finder or into terminal? I don't think I've ever dragged INTO a file in finder!
    You drop it right into the Palm-Install icon in the Bin Folder, You dont even have to open the emulator. Thats what messed me up at first also. I was like ok.... how do i get here from the emu hahaha.
    SCK Manager
    Trying to install on XP.

Get as far as the command prompt popping up, but it says "palm-install:FAILED_INSTALL_IPK" after trying to install.

Any ideas? I restarted my computer after installing SDK and rebooted the Pre after turning on Dev mode.
  20. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Hm. Okay, well I restarted my mac and was able to drag the file right onto the palm-install file. I'm pretty damn sure I was in dev mode (after restarting, as prompted) at that point. Dragged in the paint app and it wasn't in launcher, so I turned off Dev mode and restarted the pre (as prompted). I restarted again and it's still not there.

Any glaring mistakes?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast