Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Does the command prompt method to install ipk's still require the SDK installed?
    In six easy steps!

This is what I have learned so far (from this site and others). Corrections are welcomed and appreciated.

1. Download the Mojo SDK to your PC by going here: http://preinsiders.com/home/2009/06/...ed-to-the-web/

2. Set your Pre to developer mode by typing the following in Universal Search: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart. Follow the prompts.

3. Hook your Pre to your PC in “Just Charge” mode. Files will (automatically?) install.

4. Restart your Pre.

5. Download the desired app to your PC from the Homebrew App thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/

6. Drag the .ipk file for the Homebrew App onto Program Files>Palm>SDK>bin>palm-install.bat on the PC (a cmd prompt will pop up and after this you should see the app icon in your programs on the Pre).

7. Profit!

(with thanks to members JohnLBurger and DryBonz)

Please note: I have not tested this personally as of yet. I will by tomorrow.

EDIT: I have tried this all and it works. I have also drafted an even more simple version of the instructions that I hope to post soon. I have only one problem when disconnecting - I can't seem to Remove Novacom Device safely. I try to figure that out as well.
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 07/02/2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Better info from PPC geeks. Disclaimer. Acknowledgements.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    This is what I have learned so far (from these sites). Corrections are welcomed and appreciated.

1. Download the Mojo SDK to your PC by going here: [cite needed].

2. Set your Pre to developer mode by typing the following in Universal Search: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart. Follow the prompts.

3. Hook your Pre to your PC in “Just Charge” mode. Files will (automatically?) install.

4. Restart your Pre.

5. Download the desired app from the Homebrew thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/

6. Run Command Prompt in Administrator Mode [how to?].

7. Type "palm-install -d usb [appname.ipk]" to load app onto the Pre (where appname.ipk is the actual file, not the e-mail link).

8. Profit!
    Here is another ilink f anyone is interested: Post-WebOS 1.04 update homebrew app installation instructions - PPCGeeks
    Quote Originally Posted by bridic View Post
    I like that one better - drag and drop. I'll fix mine.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Anyone have any steps on a mac?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bridic View Post
    Thanks for linking. I should mention that those steps are all stuff I read at PreCentral originally prior to posting them at PPCG.

Thanks to DarkHarlequin and JohnLBurger for explaining the steps to me. Thanks to roar for the nice translator app.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Another method if phone is already rooted...

- download ipk into /media/internal either through PC then USB copy over or within rooted Pre with the command..
    - cd /media/internal
    - wget (http :// package_location.ipk)
    - ipkg install package_name

If remove doesn't work from Palm screen, try...
    - ipkg list |grep partial application name
    - ipkg remove package_name
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I guess the SDK doesn't like to run in VMWare. Get a BSOD on 2 different ones running XP.
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Anyone have any steps on a mac?
    Yeah, I have the SDK up but I don't know how to get the apps over
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Does the command prompt method to install ipk's still require the SDK installed?
    Yes because you need palm-install.bash and some other stuff, all which comes with the SDK.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    having trouble here...followed steps 1-4, on reboot i get a message on my computer..

Device driver software was not successfully installed

OMAP3430 Device unplugged

help please...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rino808 View Post
    having trouble here...followed steps 1-4, on reboot i get a message on my computer..

Device driver software was not successfully installed

OMAP3430 Device unplugged

help please...
    I don't know. Are you keeping your Pre plugged in to your computer while it restarts? If not then try that, or if so try unplugging it. But I don't know what that error exactly is.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    i tried it both plugged in and not plugged in...also when i start the emulator its saying i need virtural box
    Quote Originally Posted by Rino808 View Post
    when i start the emulator its saying i need virtural box
    Sounds like that's a good place to start! Download it from the VirtualBox website.

That might fix the issue you were having. Give it a try (doesn't take long to install).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Yeah, I have the SDK up but I don't know how to get the apps over
    I also have the sdk on my mac and I got the emulator working but runninginto some issues once I go to palm instal cause it seemes to be a .exe file or somthing like that if any one has got this to work on a mac please help
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Finally was able to get the SDK running in VMWare, pretty sweet. Also was able to install an app in the emulator via palm-install.bat. Haven't tried to install on my Pre yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    In six easy steps!

This is what I have learned so far (from this site and others). Corrections are welcomed and appreciated.

1. Download the Mojo SDK to your PC by going here: Palm Pre Mojo SDK Download Leaked To The Web (Links Updated!) | Pre Insiders

4. Restart your Pre.

5. Download the desired app to your PC from the Homebrew App thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/

6. Drag the .ipk file for the Homebrew App onto Program Files>Palm>SDK>bin>palm-install.bat on the PC (a cmd prompt will pop up and after this you should see the app icon in your programs on the Pre).

7. Profit!

(with thanks to members JohnLBurger and DryBonz)

Please note: I have not tested this personally as of yet. I will by tomorrow.
    you actually missed a step.

should be:

7. ???

8. Profit
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Another method if phone is already rooted...

- download ipk into /media/internal either through PC then USB copy over or within rooted Pre with the command..
    - cd /media/internal
    - wget (http :// package_location.ipk)
    - ipkg install package_name

If remove doesn't work from Palm screen, try...
    - ipkg list |grep partial application name
    - ipkg remove package_name
    This is the method I assumed I would use since I have my Pre rooted and I can't seem to get the emulator running right on Win 7 64bit.. but..

I am trying to install Snake right now and I get "ipkg: invalid magic" "An error occured, return value 22."

Any ideas?
    I followed all these steps and when i drag the ipk into the palm-install, the command prompt window opens then closes. when i check my apps on the pre, it is not there. any help?
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    im having the same problem...the command prompt opens for about half a second and closes...any ideas?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast